Uncharted

Why.

"Bail..Bails...Gi..Give me that fucking bottle!"

Sara yanked the bottle of rum from my hand and slammed it onto the counter. It was obvious that she was getting highly frustrated with me, and I sort of couldn't blame her. Ever since Toews had walked through the door, I had pretty much been hiding and drinking, drinking and hiding. I felt myself pout slightly as Sara stood guard of the bottle. I had learned early in her pregnancy that messing with a preggo Sara was like messing with an entire pack of wolves. It was a miracle I had managed to chug a good portion of the bottle before she snatched it from me.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She was basically shouting now. I was thankful for all of the commotion from the other room, so they couldn't hear Sara's words. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I didn't want to do this in the first place!" I shouted back, looking everywhere but at her.

"Why? It's not like he's going to bite," Her arms folded tightly over her chest as she stared me down. Even if I wasn't looking at her, I knew exactly what she was doing.

I felt my chest tighten as my lips began to move. "Because I'm terrified."

The words came out as a whisper. I couldn't seem to raise my voice, even after Sara asked me to repeat myself. Finally, my eyes fell upon hers, "I'm terrified."

"But why?"

The question was so simple, and yet I felt as though I couldn't answer it. "We haven't talked since I got back, Sara. There have been pictures of him and Amber littering those stupid magazines. I'm just..."

"Stop. Stop right there," I felt her hands grip my arms. I snapped back into reality looking at the girl standing in front of me. "You have no reason to be scared. We both know those pictures were Amber's lame attempt to get back into the spotlight. Even Jonny publicly said that he's single now. And just because you haven't talked, doesn't mean that you can't stop now."

Taking a deep breath, I planted a kiss on the top of my friend's head. She was right, and sometimes it took her shooting me down so that I came back to earth. Just as I did, the door into the kitchen swung open. There stood Kaner, a tipsy smile on his face. "Baby, come out to the party."

Sara gave me one more reassuring look before she patted me gently on the cheek and walked to Patrick. Her hand slid into his, and I watched the happiest couple I could see walk away. As soon as they were gone, I felt my hands rub over my face and a low groan escape my lips. Peeking through my fingers, I caught sight of the bottle that had been so rudely taken from me earlier. I took it in my hand for one last swig before capping it and placing it back in the freezer. Taking a deep breath, I headed out of the kitchen and back into the room of people I'd been avoiding all night.

But I couldn't do it. The moment I saw the crowd, I took an immediate right turn and headed straight out the back door into the bitter night. I had always admired the back yard of this house. It was gorgeous. Even in the pitch black night, I could envision the gorgeous view that came with it. Taking a few steps across the porch, I took a seat on the stairs that lead into the big back yard. Rubbing my arms lightly, I tried my best to ignore the cold, happy to just be alone for a few minutes.

My minutes turned to seconds as I heard the screen door leading onto the deck slide closed. I didn't even have time to look back before there was a body sitting on the stairs next to me. I turned my head to see Jonny had taken the spot next to me. I tried to bury my head into my shoulder, but it sort of failed.

"I'm sorry."

I felt my face crunch in confusion. What did he have to be sorry about? I was the one who had been avoiding him like the plague since May. I was the one who had been screening his calls, or making Sara tell him that I was busy. "Don't be," I practically whispered.

As his arm slid around me, I felt something inside of me melt. Why had I been avoiding this for so long? Why had I been telling myself that we would never be together? Why? Why? Why?

I pushed myself farther into his embrace, moving my head onto his shoulder. Nothing else really needed to be said, at least, that's what I thought.

"Back together again, are we?"

The voice from behind us made us both jump. Turning slightly, I noticed Kaner standing there with a beer in his hand and a now drunken smile on his face. The Blackhawks forward stumbled towards us, just to plant himself directly between us, forcing us apart. Normally, I found Patrick's antics to be rather hilarious, but now they were just annoying. I felt my jaw clench and my fists shake, but before I could let my drunken violence fly, Sara beat me to it.

"What the hell did I tell you?!"

I looked to Jonny with a worried expression and rose before Sara reached the steps. Quickly, I pulled Jonny to his feet, knowing he needed to get out of way. We had just gotten far enough away when Sara reached her loving husband. Kaner tried to take a few steps back, and managed to lose his footing, falling down the last three steps.

I did my best to suppress my laughter, where as Tazer just burst out laughing at his best friend's misfortune. As we stood laughing at Sara now yelling at her husband who was laying on the ground at the bottom of the steps, Jonny's arm slid around me yet again. I let my own arm slide around his waist. The commotion in front of us kept our attention for a good ten minutes, however it then began to draw a crowd. Once other started to swarm around us, Jonny bumped my hip slightly with his and nodded towards the house. "Wanna go talk?"

Nodding, we headed towards the door, our arms still draped over one another.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm so sorry that this took so long to get up. Things have been crazy here lately, but I'm hoping ot get updates up quicker now.
I forgot how happy writing makes me, so I'm going to try and keep it up.
Thanks for reading this guys. It really means a lot to me. (: