Uncharted

Angry.

The day seemed to fly by way to fast. By the time Jonny and I got back to my apartment, the sun had already dipped below the horizon. Laughter erupted from us both as I reached for the door knob of my apartment. To my surprise, it was already unlocked.

"Thanks weird," I muttered, slowly pushing the door open.

As I go to take a step into the dark room, a feel a hand touch my shoulder. I turned just in time to see Jonny slide past me. I reached for his hand just as he passed, following closely behind him. We both knew that it wasn't like me to leave my door unlocked. I was so detail oriented and meticulous with everything that I would never forget to do something so important.

We glided through the darkness and I reached for the wall that contained the light switch. With a flick, the entire room filled with light, and I noticed a figure sitting on the couch. Letting go on Jonny's hand, I inched closer to see Sara sitting on my couch, a pint of ice cream in her hand.

"Good God, Sara," I sighed, clutching my chest, "What the hell are you doing here?"

It wasn't until the question escaped my lips that I also noticed the tears streaming down her face. In all the years that I had known Sara, she cried on very few occasions. The tears alone let me know that something wasn't right, and that I was going to have to do whatever I could to make it better.

"S...Sara," I whispered, walking around the couch and taking a seat next to her. I looked over at Jonny, who had yet to move from his spot in the entry way. Tilting my head slightly, he walked towards a chair in the living room, looking as uncomfortable as ever. "Sara, what's wrong?" I finally asked as Jonny took his seat.

"He's a fucking ass, you know that right?" She said, looking at the spoon in her hand rather than at me. "He's such an....ass."

My eyes turned to Jonny quickly, wondering if he had any idea what she was talking about. It was no secret she meant Patrick, but the question was, what the hell had he done? "What happened?" I asked, reaching for the ice cream that was in her hand.

She smacked my hands away quickly before glaring in my direction. "He wouldn't stop eyeing this blonde whore at dinner last night, and she didn't have the decency to keep it in her pants. It was completely obvious that if he hadn't been with the pregnant girl, he would have swept her off her horny feet." A spoonful of ice cream hit her lips, and I knew we were in trouble. She was pissed, and that never meant good things for anyone.

"Are...Are you sure?" I asked, wanting to make sure that I was hearing all of this right.

The tears that were streaming down her face were all the answer I needed.

By the time I looked up, Jonny was already up. "I'm borrowing your car," he spat before stepping outside and slamming the door behind him.

-x-

It took a few hours of coaxing, but I was finally able to pry the ice cream from Sara's hands, and convince her to lay down for a while. Within minutes, she was fast asleep. I slowly closed the door to my bedroom, making sure the door made a soft click at the end.

I felt horrible for her. In my mind, I had been trying to run over the story she had told me. Even though I got the abridged version while Jonny was around, the full story was even worse. I tried to think up reasons as to why Kaner might be acting that way, whether it be that he was started to get scared of having a child of his own, or he had just resorted back to his old ways; anything that might shine light onto the situation.

But sadly, I was still left in the dark.

Making my way back into the living room, I took a seat on my couch, exhausted from the day. Sara had taken my mind off of my sore legs from skating, but now that she was fast asleep, and I had time to relax, the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. The moment my weary self hit the couch, that was the end of it. There was no way I was going to get up, and I really didn't want to.

I flipped on the television in hopes of drowning out the noise in my mind.

Thankfully, it worked. Actually, it worked so well, that I found myself also fast asleep within minutes of curling up on the couch.

-x-

When I awoke a few hours later, I found myself still asleep on the couch. The door to my bedroom was still tightly closed, meaning Sara was still dreaming as well. The only difference from when I fell asleep to when I woke up was the fact that I was now covered in a blanket, and Jonny had reappeared in the chair.

"Babe?" I questioned, rubbing my eyes slowly. I was hoping that he was actually there, and that my mind wasn't playing some sick trick on me like it enjoyed doing sometimes.

"Shh. Go back to sleep," he urged, a weak smile cross his features. The only light that struck his face came from the television, and he was deliberately not looking at me.

Shaking my head, I sat up on the couch. "Where did you go?" I asked, avoiding his words. There was no way I was going to end up falling back asleep, especially now that he was back. When Jonny disappeared, I knew it couldn't mean good things.

"I just had something to take care of," he stated, turning briefly in my direction. That's when I caught sight of it. His right eye was black and blue.

I wanted to ask. I even opened my mouth to throw out the question, but it was quickly thrown to the side as he shook his head in my direction. Looking down, I began to fiddle with the edge of the blanket, much like I did when I was anxious. Before long, I felt an arm slide around my shoulders.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, pulling me into his side.

He really had nothing to be sorry for, but the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it, or talk about anything really. Instead, I lengthened out my body and closed my eyes, just praying that when I woke up, all of this would go away.