Call out to the Dead

Chapter 15

Michael couldn’t stop them from taking her. He had to watch as they dragged her out the door haphazardly covered by the red robe and one foot still covered by what little remained of the stockings. His fangs extended in rage, his eyes glowed bright enough to blind.

He hissed at the ones holding him. “I will wear your fangs on a necklace before this is over.”

They just laughed. They didn’t even dignify him with a response.

The guys and Jo were in the basement, she was making drinks and they drank one or two. Their stomachs weren’t quite made for that anymore but honestly it saved them a shitton on booze because the way they were “wired” now, every thing they ingested -which is also why they couldn’t eat- went straight into their bloodstream. Their livers didn’t really help them so much anymore so even the pirate could get drunk on a couple straight shots straight into the bloodstream.

They were blissfully unaware of the trouble upstairs until Michael was nearly ripping the door off the hinges coming to the basement. His voice a roar, anger easily visible to the world. He spoke a language even Jo didn't understand. Of course her drinking might have had something to do with that.

Aaron obviously did though as his eyes nearly bulged out of his head. "What?"

His voice dropped, he spoke words so measured they shook. "They have Eliza."

Three words enough to sober a room full of people. Most obviously the falling face of Jo.

“What the fuck do you mean ‘they’ took her?” She hissed. “Tell me you’re not saying those other psychos have my best friend with no thanks to you.”

His eyes darkened and narrowed on Jo. “If you think I just stepped aside you’re quite mistaken. I want her in their hands less than you do.”

“That is my best friend that your old coven has out there! What's she to you?!” Jo shouted back unable to take this guy who just let her friend get kidnapped.

His eyes shifted in color the green got clouded with flares of red. “This would be the time for us to start trying to figure out how to get her back not fight.” His voice came out a growl. Everything in him was devoted to trying to restrain himself.

The guys recognized this and DJ gently grabbed her arm trying to defuse the situation. “Walk with me.” He beckoned lightly hoping she was wise enough to agree.

She nodded and started toward the door with him before turning back to Michael. “If my best friend dies. I promise I will find a way to end you.”

He just sneered exposing one of his fangs. He wouldn’t show what he was feeling. He didn’t want them to know what his real response to that was. “I’d let you.” He thought to himself. His coven couldn’t see that he wouldn’t let them. It would be far too much like admitting weakness. It was one of those things he would have been able to say to Eliza even against his better judgment.

“What do you want to do Michael?” Aaron asked lightly knowing they were all obligated to the girl but knew Michael's was different.

“I will kill Xyralynn.” He spoke with serenity. “Then I can force the coven out of our territory.”

“Xyra has run that coven for longer than I've been a part of it. She can't be so easy to kill.” Phil spoke soberly, he didn't want to sound like he doubted Michael.

“She was born vampire. That proves nothing of her true ability to survive.”

****

Dirt beneath her was all she felt as she came back to consciousness. She wasn’t sure when she’d lost consciousness but she wasn’t happy to be awake. Darkness was all that surrounded her, she couldn’t have seen her own hand in front of her face. There was a sound there something like the wind whistling by but she knew it wasn’t that, the cadendence was too inconsistent. Plus she could feel their stare on her.

They surrounded her whispering near silent so only another vampire could really hear. Debating over what to do with her the conversation was endless.

“I know you’re there! Show yourselves!” She demanded from her spot in the dirt in the middle of all of them.

Different tones of laughter greeted her from all around, some was light pretty ringing like church bells, others were barking cynical but there was a cacophony of sounds. Enough sounds to tell her how many different ways she was absolutely fucked.

Now their whispers became audible.

“Who does she think she is?” One hissed.

“Sassy.” Another chuckled.

“Lets just fucking kill her.” Someone else sighed.

Lastly silencing all the other voices a sharp feminine laugh sounded and clapping started slowly before a richly accented voice started speaking. “No wonder Michael likes her so much. Light a torch so the pretty little thing can see us too.” Eastern europe is as close to this woman’s accent Eliza could figure.

Soon enough the roaring sound of a flame coming to life was heard and it’s flickering light consumed the room. Dozens of vampires surrounded her in this cave. Maybe more. All their eyes slowly starting to glow as her heart started to hasten it’s pace. They could hear that rhythmic acceleration and they could smell the fear adrenaline wafting through the air fragrant as a flower meadow in springtime.
‘Pretty much clusterfucked.’ Her mind said in a rational cynicism.

The woman who’d spoken before stepped closer to Eliza as if presenting herself like she needed Eliza to know the face that would decide her fate. Eliza took stock of the woman, like it was part of this metaphorical dance she was tangled in. The woman was slight of build, skin white and solid like polished marble, red hair falling in loose waves barely tickling her waist, as her bright violet eyes unyieldingly locked on Eliza. She wore a loose leopard print blazer hanging off her petite form just so you’d realize how small she was, so you’d underestimate her. Aside from the blazer everything else she wore was black and clinging to her skin.

The woman smiled, never had she found anything so benign so horrifying. “How can I torment Michael and you at the same time?” The words were purely to torture her, Eliza already knew that much. This was only the beginning.

***

Michael had been plotting all night trying to think on what they could do. Trying to plan anything that seemed logical for them all to make it out alive. They’d turned one of the rooms downstairs into a study filled with vampire texts that were printed in a language that even Jo wouldn’t be able to read. Head in his hands over one of those books he released a breath in frustration.

“What can I do?” Jo asked from the doorway. Her voice had a gentleness that she’d never had before.
Michael rose his head and looked at her leaned up against the doorway arms wrapped around herself. It was her best friend that was missing, she looked the part. Her eyes were red and puffy with the tears she’d shed, her skin was dull from her exhaustion, all of the signs of tragedy written all over her face.

Brows furrowing he sat there a thought appeared but he wasn’t sure if it was really Jo’s forte. He figured she’d do anything and leaving anything out would only piss her off. “I have an idea but I don’t know if it’s really what you do. If it’s something you believe you can do.”

“Just spit it out Michael.” Jo said pulling herself off the doorframe finally coming toward the desk he sat behind.

“Necromancy.” He just spat it out. “It might be the only way you can help. None of this little spiritualist hocus pocus works on us. You have to step into the magic of the dead. If that is out of your depth, I can’t ask you to go there.” He paused watching her sit down across from him. “It can be dangerous for a practitioner to dive that deep if they’ve not prepared for it.” The life he’d already put on the line was too much for him, he couldn’t have Jo’s neck under a blade too.

“Michael if that’s all you can think of for me to do, I’ll at the very least look into it.” Joanne resigned to do anything. “I have some serious connections in the city. They might know some legitimate necromancers.”

He nodded glad she was taking this as she was. “I wouldn’t even recommend it, it’s one of the more dangerous of the... art forms, but it’s the only one that would be of any use at all. The magic of the dead, just talking about it will make them nervous. If you can actually do it we should be able to get in and get Eliza without a worry.”

Jo looked determined. That look of an unshakeable woman. “They are going to be so terrified of the Necromancer that they’ll give her back.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Slow going is this story! Forgive me! I'm stoked you guys are STILL commenting! I friggin' love you people.

I'm still not sure about the new mibba...