Status: working on it! updates may come slowly...

This is How We Do

Chapter One

"Ugh, that Physics pop quiz today stressed me out," groaned Stella Dover, flipping her long, strawberry blonde hair over her shoulder. "Like, pop quizzes should be illegal."

Her unlikely best friend, Georgia Ross, laughed and scratched her head as she said, "It wasn't that bad. Actually, I thought it was easy."

"Of course you did," said Stella, rolling her eyes, "You're like, a freaking genius." The pair was walking down the hallway, towards Stella's locker. Georgia was sensible, and carried a slightly fashionable backpack around for all of her books, notebooks, and pens and pencils. Stella, on the other hand, said that her bags were for style, and she would not be caught dead carrying her school supplies in them. And that was just one of their many differences. Stella was caught up in looks, style, boys, and staying on the track team. She was seventeen-going-on-eighteen and she still didn't know what to do with her life. She did have a lot of artistic ability, though. Georgia was brilliant. Everyone in their senior class was sure she had the highest GPA. She was a beautiful dancer, and could look stunning, like Stella, if she wanted to. If she wanted to. Which was pretty much never, except for when her studio was performing. Otherwise, she didn't care. Most days, she wore only a thin line of eyeliner and mascara.

Throughout their entire high school career, Stella had been in a total of five serious relationships. And about twenty other not-so-serious relationships. She was fun and charming, and that's what boys liked about her. Georgia could hold a passionate conversation about how corrupt government policies are, but could not inform you of which celebrity was hooking up with who. The only boyfriend Georgia ever had was in eighth grade, when Joey Richter needed a pretend girlfriend to make Stella jealous. It was a low blow, but Georgia had a mind-blowing crush on him at the time.

When they reached Stella's locker, she sighed as she pulled out her Statistics book and lunch money. "I've got nothing to do this weekend," she said.

Georgia shrugged, "It's only Wednesday."

"Yeah, but normally, I almost always have plans by Tuesday!"

Laughing, the girls headed to the cafeteria. "Ugh," moaned Georgia, "Chilli and grilled cheese."

"Where do they come up with these food combos, anyway?" asked Stella. They placed their trays on the window-barricade's roof and reluctantly allowed the lunch lady to spoon chilli onto their plates. After paying, they began looking for Stella's friends. They weren't exactly Georgia's friends, since she didn't care for them. Upon finding them, they started walking towards the table. Suddenly, Stella's phone vibrated. Being the social butterfly she is, Stella just had to check it. So, she did. And at that moment, the table she stopped next to needed more plastic utensils.

A very tall, lanky, and loud boy swiveled out from his seat to retrieve the them, and walked right into Stella. He hit the bottom of her tray, knocking the mystery meat chilli all over her pretty, white, new outfit. Stella's jaw hit the floor. For a moment, they all just stood there in shock.

Until, "Oh, shit! Nice going, Jack!" The boys from the nearby table started laughing loudly, reenacting the scene. Georgia had to bite back a few giggles, as well.

"This is so not funny!" squealed Stella, desperately flicking the food off of her shirt.

"Sorry!" the boy, apparently named Jack, squeaked out between laughter fits.

"You better be! You're paying for this shirt!" shouted Stella. At this, Georgia had to start laughing. "Georgia, stop! It was twenty dollars!"

Jack grabbed a bunch of napkins from his table and handed them to Stella. "What's your name?" he asked.

"Stella Dover," Stella spit.

"What was that? Lover?" a boy, who was sitting at the table Jack was at, asked. He had brown, choppy hair and an arm around another girl. He looked as though he genuinely didn't catch Stella's last name.

"Dover, you idiot," growled Stella. Georgia glanced over at the boy and recognized him as Alex Gaskarth. He caught Georgia looking and winked at her. A slow, light flush crossed her face and neck. "Ugh, Georgia, do you have another shirt in your locker?"

"Only my gym shirt, and it's all sweaty and smelly, still--"

"Would you please get it for me?" asked Stella. Now, she just looked like a sad little kid who just broke their favorite toy.

"Sure," said Georgia, setting her lunch tray down in front of Alex and walking out of the cafeteria.

Stella grumbled as she sat down, Jack trailing her like a puppy dog. "I'm so sorry," he said. He was obviously more than a little infatuated with Stella.

"It's okay, I'll just have to figure how to get this fucking giant stain out," replied Stella with a sarcastic bite and smile to go with it.

"Oh..." said Jack.

Stella angrily chewed the apple she bought on impluse; she was glad, since it was the only thing that survived. She learned that the boys were Jack Barakat, Rian Dawson, and Alex Gaskarth. She had AP History with Rian, and that was it. She noticed that the two girls were Lisa Ruocco and Kara Diakoulas. She had P.E. with Kara, and French IV and Stats with Lisa. Stella also noted that Kara and Rian were a couple that were going strong; Lisa and Alex, not so much.

Georgia finally showed up with a Dulaney High School Physical Education shirt. "Here," she said, dropping the shirt in Stella's lap and sitting down next to her. She had five minutes to eat her lunch --though she wasn't sure if she wanted to– and she was starving. Lisa must've noticed her staring wearily at her chilli, because she offered Georgia half of her sandwich.

"I won't eat the other half, anyway," insisted Lisa. Georgia took it after a moment of hesitation.

"So, who are you?" asked Alex, leaning towards her inquisitively.

"Georgia Ross," replied Georgia, her mouth full of turkey-and-cheese sandwich.

"Like the state!" shouted Jack, laughing.

"Uh, sure," Georgia just looked at the boy. He was cute. Like the teddy bear, newborn puppy, let-me-cuddle-you cute. Georgia's favorite kind.

The warning bell rang for their next class, and they all jumped up and rushed to get ready for their next class. Stella ran off to the bathroom to change, telling Georgia she'll see her after school. Georgia drove them home, since Stella had to share a car with the rest of her family.

Georgia walked into her AP Calculus class and immediately recognized Rian. She glanced around before he motioned for her to come sit next to him. "Hey," she said awkwardly.

"Hey!" greeted Rian, cheerfully. "I didn't know you were in my Calc class!"

"Oh, me either," replied Georgia, laughing nervously. "Isn't it funny how you can go to school with people for so long, and never even know who they are?"

"Yeah, pretty weird shit. Is your friend okay?"

"Stella? Definitely." This time, it was a real laugh. "She just overreacts about everything."

"Well," said Rian, "That could be a problem."

"Yeah, it could."

Their professor walked in, smiling at them all. "Pop quiz time!" The whole class groaned, except for Georgia. No, Georgia was confident this would be easy. Exactly like the rest of her senior year should go.

Yeah, right. Easy.

▲▼▲


The final bell of the day rang, and a feeling of relief washed over the whole school. Students began pouring and filing into the hallways. They were on their way to their lockers, excited to get home. Georgia walked out of her History of Rock and Roll class, discovering she also shared it with Rian Dawson. "I swear, Mr. Bergman must be crazy," said Rian, laughing.

"Oh, I know!" replied Georgia, "I think he's gone to one too many rock and roll concerts." She laughed a little harder than she probably should have, but she was laughing at herself, too. She had actually made a friend, for once.

Kara, Rian's girlfriend, ran up to Rian and practically tackled him. "Hey!" she said, "I'm gonna come to band practice today."

"Band?" questioned Georgia.

"Oh, yeah," Kara beamed at Georgia, "He's in a band called 'All Time Low'. They were on tour last year!"

"Oh, that's awesome!" said Georgia.

"Isn't it?" giggled Kara. She kissed Rian and Georgia started feeling awkward. Thankfully, Alex, Lisa, and Jack decided to show up. Georgia idly wondered where Stella was.

Their group walked towards the entrance, where kids were loading buses and waiting for rides. Alex and Jack started chasing each other around, throwing crumpled up notes at each other that they probably needed. Kara received a shoulder massage from Rian, while going over the days events with Lisa. Finally, Stella exited the school building. Jack ran over, shouting, "STELLASTELLASTELLA! I'M STILL REALLY SORRY ABOUT YOUR OUTFIT!"

The attention was drawn to the giant, red-brown stain on Stella's formerly white, perfect pants. "Yeah," mumbled Stella.

"So," said Alex, throwing a casual arm around Georgia, "You kids got anything good planned for this afternoon?"

"I have loads of homework and several hours of dance class," was Georgia's immediate reply. She blushed, realizing how abrupt and "totally uncool" –as Stella would put it– she sounded.

"Nothing, except homework," Stella sighed and rolled her eyes. She hated homework, but had to maintain a B average to stay on the track team. Though it was only fall, Stella had to stay focused until the springtime. She planned on track getting her an easy ride to a decent college.

"Well, why don't you come watch All Time Low practice?" asked Alex, smiling at Georgia. She was a bit flustered; this was probably the most physical contact she's ever had with a member of the opposite sex. Alex's face was uncomfortably close to hers.

"All Time Low?" asked Stella, arching one of her perfectly shaped eyebrows.

"Their band," Georgia answered for them.

"We have a fourth member," said Rian, "Zack Merrick. He goes to school across town."

"Ah," said Stella, both of her eyebrows rising this time. Then, "Georgia, can we pleeaaase go?"

Georgia's eyes widened. Her homework list was long, and she had to be at the studio at six o'clack and stay there until ten. "Stell... I can drop you off, if you want," Georgia finally answered.

"Oh, c'mon," said Alex, squeezing her shoulder. Lisa was shooting silent daggers that no one really noticed, except for Stella. "You can do your homework while we practice," he said. "You shouldn't have that much. I don't think any of us, do."

"Yeah," said Stella, "But any class you could make AP, she took. She's an absolute nut." Though Stella rolled her eyes at her best friend, you could see the pride pouring out of her smile.

"Why on earth would you do that?" asked Jack, astounded.

"Uh," Georgia paused, not sure how to answer. Finally, she just mumbled something about "career choice."

Georgia gave in, though. Rian gave her directions to his house and told her to be there at four o'clock. A burst of laughter sounded, and everyone looked to see Jack and Stella, doubled over in laughter. "Well," said Alex, "Guess we all better get going. Jack! Let's go, man!"

They all parted ways. Georgia drove in her old junker car to Stella's house. "So," said Stella, "That Jack Barakat is pretty cute."

The car in front of them wouldn't move. "The light's not getting any fucking greener!" shouted Georgia. "I hate literally the entire human race."

Stella laughed, "Except for me!"

"Sure," said Georgia, cracking a smile, "So, already got your eyes on a new target?"

"Definitely!" At this, Georgia's heart sort of sank. It's not like she actually... No. She had absolutely no shot, especially with Stella around. It was the sad, disappointing truth. Stella was so gorgeous and such a charmer.

"Well, you guys do seem pretty compatible," Georgia stated as she pulled into Stella's driveway. Their house was fairly big. It housed three kids and two parents, two dogs, a couple of fish, and a parrot.

"We totally are! He doesn't give a fuck about much. It's beautiful!"

The Dovers' house was really well-kept. Their sidewalk was made of red flagstone and was lined by pristine flowers. There was a bike laying in the middle of the lawn and a skateboard in front of the garage. Stella had a younger sister, who was thirteen, and a younger brother, who was nine. They always act as though they hate each other, but really they're just denying their admiration.

As they climbed out of the car and walked up the sidewalk, Georgia got on the phone with her mother. "Hey, mom," she said into her cellphone as Stella unlocked the door. "How's the diner?"

"Busy, as usual," answered Mrs. Ross. The Rosses owned the town's diner. They had opened it five years before Georgia was born. Then, when she came into the scene, the happy, new parents decided to rename the diner after their first and only child. Thus, it is now "Georgia's Diner." Most times, it was really awkward when Georgia lent a hand. Customers would crack jokes, and the regulars were even more annoying. "I'm so tired, honey," said Georgia's mom.

"I know, momma," answered Georgia, wishing the diner hadn't taken her parents' lives away from them. "You ever gonna retire?"

"I'm only fifty, dearie," answered her mom. "You got any plans Saturday?"

"No."

"Would you come in? I know we made a deal that you didn't have to work during school, but I could really use a hand."

"Sure, momma. Not like I've got any parties, or something. But, I'm gonna watch this band practice tonight before I go to dance..."

"Oh, that's good! Who are they?" Laura Ross knew that you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out her daughter was not the most social.

"Some kids from school. One of the guys dumped Stella's chilli all over her and, yeah..."

"Okay, you have fun! I'll probably be asleep long before you get home, so love you!"

"Love you, too, momma. Tell daddy I said I love him, too."

Her mom had already hung up. Georgia and Stella had made their way up to her messy, teenage girl room. Georgia collapsed on Stella's bed, breathing deeply. "What should I wear?" asked Stella, frowning at her closet that was almost bursting of clothes. She pulled out a pair of dark-washed jeans and a tie-dye shirt. "To casual? Yeah, definitely." She dropped the outfit to the ground. She pulled out a gray tank top and a white sweater. She picked up the jeans and quickly changed. Georgia was falling asleep.

"Well?" asked Stella, waking her friend up. "Does this look okay? Or do I look like I'm trying too hard?"

"It looks perfect, Stella," replied Georgia, feeling awkward in her own clothes. Her outfit consisted of a dark pair of jeans and a sweatshirt from an obscure thrift shop. Out of habit, she curled and flexed her toes in her old and worn Vans.

"Okay," said Stella, grinning from ear to ear. "It's three o'clock. What do you want to do until four?"

"Homework," said Georgia. She laughed as she pulled a pile of books from her backpack and set to work.

"You're such a freaking party pooper," said Stella.

"Yeah, well," said Georgia, and she left it at that. For an hour, Stella flicked through channels on the TV in her room as Georgia labelled the human body in scientific terms.

"Georgia! It's four-ten!" shouted Stella, jumping up. She started shoving books into Georgia's bags. "Let's go! We're late!"

"I don't think it would kill us to be a little–" They were already out the door, her bag a disheveled mess.

Thanks to Stella's urging, they arrived at Rian's house ten minutes later. The boys were sitting on the steps in front of his door. Kara was sitting on Rian's lap and they all looked at Alex, seeming concerned. Georgia pulled in and as she got out she said, "Is everything alright?"

"Lisa's mad at Alex and they got in a pretty rough fight," explained Kara.

"Yeah," said a boy they didn't recognize. It must be Zack. "For like, the fourth time in the past two days."

"Oh," said Georgia.

"Well," said Alex, "Guess we should get practice started. We're twenty minutes behind schedule. And we didn't drag poor Georgia over here for nothin'." He winked at her again.

They all went inside and downstairs to the basement. There was a couch and a pingpong table pushed to the side. "This is where baby-makin' music happens!" said Jack, skipping around the place.

"Oh really?" asked Stella, laughing.

Georgia sat down in front of the couch and immediately started pulling books out. Alex sat down in front of her. "You're no fun," he said, getting in her face. She looked up and stuck her tongue out. Kara laughed as she pulled Alex away.

"Leave her alone," Kara said, giggling. She sat down next to Georgia and Stella wandered over to Jack to watch him tune his guitar. "They're like, really good," said Kara.

"Oh?" Georgia answered, not looking up from her work. "That sounds cool."

After about ten minutes, Stella joined the two girls on the floor and Alex took his place at the microphone. "Alright, let's run The Party Scene." Kara curled up in excitement, Stella's eyes widened, and Georgia's nose remained planted in her homework.

Hey kid, you've got a lot of potentional... Everything was really loud, and Alex had a practically angelic voice. Jack was jumping up and down and moving all over; Stella was shocked he didn't hit his head on anything, yet. As the song went on, Georgia's eyes slowly floated up, and then her head. Everyone seemed a bit mesmerized by the music.

When the song was finished, a voice sounded from the bottom of the staircase, "Alex, we need to talk."

"Lisa, we need to practice," answered Alex. If looks could kill...

"Fine!" shouted Lisa. Everyone but Alex jumped. "I see your good-for-nothing band takes precedence again!"

"It's not like we're married or something. I'll talk to you after band practice," Alex said calmly.

"I–"

"Okay, we're gonna run the next song." The music started playing again. Lisa made some sort of a growling noise and stormed up the stairs. Georgia an Stella looked at Kara questioningly, but she just shrugged.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is one of my first band fics ever! actually, this is my first. i stopped writing it awhile ago, and right now i'm making revisions and edits to all my old chapters before i write new ones. i'm not really satisfied with how this story went, it's not very realistic. so i'll be working on that when i can. au revoir! ~lia