Status: I'm only uploading one chapter for now, just to see if people are interested. But I promise to update in the near future!

Jumping Into Rivers

11

As soon as midnight stuck, she appeared. Her white dress gently danced in the cold breeze as she stood looking up at the house before her. However, if the nosey lady from across the street were to peek out from behind her curtains she would see nothing at all. This girl was invisible to the world around her. It made her sad sometimes, when she had nothing to do and no one to help, because all she could do was stand on street corners and watch people rush past her. Everything was so busy to Diana. People seemed to never stop. They never stopped to watch the world around them and appreciate just what they have before it’s all gone. It annoyed Diana in a way, because Diana had all the time in the world. Diana had the time to stand around and watch the sun rise, and watch it set, and even watch it in between. Sometimes it was boring, but that was the price she had to pay. She was dead, and there was nothing she could do about it. She couldn’t bring back her life, she would never be alive again, but that’s why she helped people. She didn’t want people to have to suffer in the same way that she did. And, that’s why she was stood outside the house, with its high walls and black gate.

Diana scrunched her nose in thought. She was debating to herself. Should she stay? Shouldn’t she? She’d already been inside the house a few times, which had freaked Louis out as soon as he’d seen her. But it was going to be different this time, because Louis knew. Diana sighed, knowing that she’d have to go in eventually, as after all, how would she be able to help Louis if she was never around? As she pushed her blonde hair out of her eyes she approached the gate. As always it was locked, controlled only by the panel next to it which required a six digit code. All the boys knew it of course, although Niall had forgotten it on more than one occasion and set the alarm off, which had caused the Irish boy high embarrassment. But six digit codes are not an issue for Diana, because all Diana has to do is stride towards the gate and pass through it as if it were not even a gate at all. Diana always hated doing that. It made her feel sick and nauseous, because her stomach would drop and her head pound. She much preferred using doors the normal way; however it was not always that easy. Particularly in broad daylight, which is a mistake Diana had made in her first few days of being dead. Try explaining to a frightened and confused family how their front door, which was most definitely shut, had swung open and closed again. Yes, it was much easier for a ghost to just walk through objects, even if it did make them feel sick.

Once she was past the gate, Diana padded along the cobbled path. Even from her position outside she could feel the silence. Every boy was asleep. Her sensitive ears could hear Niall snores, Louis’ mumbles, and Zayn’s sleepy groan as he rolled over onto his back. Diana smiled to herself. She hadn’t been in the company of teenage boys for quite some time. Since 1993 in fact, when she’d convinced a boy living in Brighton to not take the bottle of pills he’d found in the cupboard because he was being bullied. Diana made her way to the front door, and as she had done moments before, floated through it until she was standing in the warm hallway.

It was the first time Diana had really looked the boy’s house properly. Most often she would run straight to Louis’ room and try and make sense of his sleep induced mumbles, hoping that he would subconsciously let on to some information which could help Diana with her ‘investigation’. But tonight, Diana decided to wander. She started in the living room, making a face of disgust at the greasy pizza box the boys had obviously left from earlier that night. She noticed the ashtray too and instantly knew the three stubbed out cigarettes belonged to Zayn. It was surprisingly tidy considering this was no doubt the room that the boys spent the most time in, asides from their bedrooms of course. Diana didn’t know whether she quite had the courage to venture into each of the five rooms though. She may be dead, but she was still a girl. Louis’ room was bad enough; she didn’t even want to imagine the filth that was in Harry’s.

The kitchen was next, and Diana could only roll her eyes at the amount of mugs that were sat on the work top. She peered inside one out of curiosity, and instantly regretted it. The bottom was covered in green mould, the smell was vile. Diana backed away sharply, her spine hitting the edge of the breakfast bar. “Ugh, disgusting.” Diana whispered to herself, turning her back on the mug and opening the fridge instead. She was honestly proud of the amount of vegetables inside; however, she frowned noticing the amount of beer. She was about to push the bottles to one side to see what was hidden behind it, but she heard the sound of footsteps edging closer to the kitchen. “Oh, no!” she cried quietly in panic. She managed to slam the fridge shut just as a lazy Harry walked in. “Hello?” his voice was incredibly groggy, and even in the dark Diana could see his eyes were barely open. She stayed perfectly still, not a noise to be heard from her. “Lou,” he asked, rubbing one eye with a fist, “was that you?” Diana squeezed her eyes shut at her mistake. She should have been more careful. Had Harry arrived a moment later he would have seen the fridge being slammed shut. But, despite his questions, Harry yawned and grabbed a clean glass from the cupboard before filling it with water. Harry cast a questioning eye across the kitchen, obviously not spotting the dead girl in the corner. He yawned again and stumbled out of the kitchen and back up the stairs, some water sloshing from its glass and onto Harry’s bare chest.

Diana sighed in relief. Thank God Harry had not thought more on the situation. Diana had had enough; it was far too risky to continue her exploring. If she continued to make mistakes it would only be a matter of time before the boys believed the house to be haunted, and only Louis would be aware of who was behind it. So Diana simply slipped outside into the back garden, where she stood perfectly still, like a statue, until the sun rose.

-

“Morning, babe.” Louis greeted cheerily as Harry shuffled into the kitchen. Louis was already tucking into his bowl of Coco Pops, and Niall’s mouth was full of toast, baked beans dripping down his chin. “Morning,” Harry replied, his voice still groggy. He thumped onto a stool where Zayn give him a cup of tea. “Got any plans for today?” Zayn asked, returning to his seat and turning to face Harry. Harry swallowed his mouthful of tea and replied, “I don’t think so?” Zayn shrugged, but Niall burst out, “Let’s all do something!”

“Like what?” Louis said back before eating another spoonful of his cereal. Niall’s face fell, “I dunno,” he huffed, “I forgot how boring normal life is. I mean a week ago we were travelling across the whole country, playing gigs and meeting fans and doing interviews. And now, I’m sat in my pyjamas.” Zayn laughed but said, “I know, mate. I know. Only got another week though, then we’re back at work. Recording the ‘Children In Need’ single first thing, aren’t we?” All the other boys shrugged and said, “Dunno, ask Liam.” Liam, in question, was still wrapped up in bed, his throat sore and nose stuffy from the cold he was slowly developing.

The kitchen fell back into silence. Harry chewed on a biscuit in thought, not sure whether to bring up the subject or not. He cleared his throat, “Guys, were any of you in the kitchen last night?” he tried to pass it off as a casual question. “No,” all the boys said. “Why?” Louis turned towards the curly-haired boy in confusion, keen to hear where this story was going. “Oh, no reason. It’s just I went down last night to get a drink and I’m sure I saw the fridge close. Maybe it was my imagination though. I was just wondering.” Harry shrugged as if it were nothing, but Louis’ brain suddenly went on alert. Repeating the same name over and over like an alarm, ‘Diana! Diana! Diana!’ Louis turned away from Harry, and the sight he saw made him choke on his cereal. Diana was stood behind Zayn, a panicked look in her eye. “I’m sorry!” she mouthed. “Lou?” Harry asked, patting him on the back and Louis spluttered out the now chocolate mush from his mouth. “I’m fine!” Louis coughed, his face red and his eyes watering. Harry shoved his tea into Louis’ hands, who took a large gulp. It seemed to stop his coughing.

“Sorry, just...just started choking on my cereal there!” Louis laughed nervously. The three boys glanced at him strangely, while Diana had a hand over her mouth, clearly trying not to laugh. It became too much for her and she let out a shrill giggle. Louis thought he was the only one who had heard it, and was ready to ignore it, but Niall spoke, “What the fuck was that?” Louis laughed nervously again, but didn’t say anything. “I’m going for a shower,” he said, sending a secret look to Diana before exiting the room. Diana took this as a signal to follow, and walked after him. As soon as Louis knew they were out of ear shot Louis spoke in an angry whisper, “What the fuck where you doing? You were in the house last night?”

Diana rolled her eyes, but looked sorry, “Yes, I was. I do not know what you are so shocked about, Louis. I’ve been in your house before, as you well know.” Louis growled and whispered, “I know! But I would prefer it if you told me when you were coming. Just because you’re a ghost does not mean you have the permission to just walk into my house!” Diana sighed, and spoke, “Yes, Louis. That is true, and I am sorry. But I do hope you realise I will be around a lot more often. I have to help you Louis...I have to.” They arrived at his room, and Louis invited her inside. Here, Louis spoke up a little, “I know you have to help me. I want you to help me. It’s just...I’m scared that the other boys are going to find out. Or that, they’ll think I’m crazy or something. I mean, I don’t know how it’s gone before, but...Diana, only I can see you, only I can talk to you, if the other boys see me they’ll think I’m crazy.” Diana chuckled lightly, “It’s okay, Louis. People in the past have been worried about that fact also. But, I promise you, I will keep you safe. And...I will keep your sanity safe. Besides, if it does get too much, you can just tell them.”

“Tell them!? That would be even worse! I cannot tell my best friends I am talking to a ghost! Then they really will think I’m mad.” Louis slumped onto his bed, his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose. “No,” Diana spoke, causing Louis to look up at her, “I meant, you could tell them about me, and that way, they will see me,” seeing his confused face Diana rolled her eyes and explained further, “I only appear before you Louis because I make myself appear before you. If I really wished to, I could appear before the other boys too. I am not keen to do that, as it would make things far more complicated and difficult.” Louis stood up sharply, “Why didn’t you do that in the first place! You’ve been making me think I was crazy because only I could see you! Why didn’t you just make yourself visible to all of us?”

Diana looked at him, “Are you really willing to explain to your best friends why you were ready to commit suicide on the night that we met?” she didn’t need a reply, because his eyes said it all, “Then it is settled. I am to help you Louis, and only you. I will be around, and you will see me, but you don’t have to talk to me. In fact, you can just ignore me. Just pretend I am not there. I’ll only talk to you when we are alone, is that fair?” Louis crossed his arms and licked his lips. “Yeah, okay,” Louis agreed, “but, there will be no secrets between us, okay? I’ll tell you stuff, and you tell me. Sound fair?” Louis smirked up at her, and Diana smirked back. “That sounds perfectly fair, Mr. Tomlinson. Now, brace yourself. Harry’s about to burst through the door,” and no more than a second after she said it a mass of curls charged through the door and tackled Louis to the bed.

“Hey.” Harry said, straddling the older boy. “Hey?” Louis replied, confused as to why the boy had just run in and attacked him. “We’re going to the park.” Harry smiled. “Okay?” Louis said. “Be ready in half an hour,” and with that Harry kissed him on the nose and sauntered out of the room. Louis sat upright, and didn’t manage to catch Diana’s smirk of interest before she walked out too, leaving Louis on his own to ponder over what had just happened.