Coven

Chapter 2

The walk to town was quiet and peaceful. The actual town was like something out of a movie. It was kind of like Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls. Quiet, small; it was kind of a town where everyone knows everyone else’s business.

I walked up the sidewalk, looking in the various stores. I definitely looked like the new girl with the way I was walking around, sort of in awe and not really knowing where anything is. People were bustling the sidewalk with friends, some smiled at me welcomingly to whom I smiled back. I looked in the shop windows, seeing if anything in there caught my eye as I walked onto Essex Street. I walked into a deli called Polonus European Deli and began looking around for something to eat.

“Are you new in town?” The lady behind the counter asked me.

“How did you know?” I laughed, looking from the menu to her.

“I’ve probably seen everyone in this town come into this deli,” She laughed back. “I’ve never seen you. Where are you from?”

“Miami,” I said. “I just moved here with my mom and older brother.”

“How do you like Salem so far?” She asked preparing another man’s sandwich.

“It’s very different than what we are used to but I’m trying to give it a chance,” I sighed.

She handed the man his sandwich and turned back to me. “So, what can I get you?” She started washing down her work area with a wet towel as the bell chimed signaling the man walking out.

“I’ll have three ham and cheese sandwiches and one turkey,” I answered her knowing Trainer loved his ham and cheese and always ate two. She nodded and started working on them and I looked around the store. There were quite a few teenagers in here, most of whom would be my classmates for the coming school year. I sat in an empty chair as I waited for the lady to finish with the food.

Five minutes later she looked up at me with a smile on her face, “Here you go, hun,” She said holding a bag up in the air. “That will be 13.47.”

I gave her the hundred from my pocket and took the bag from her. Once she gave me the change I walked out and started looking around the town again. I noticed a peculiar looking little shop across the street called ‘Hex’. Deciding it could be a cool store, I walked across the street to check it out.

Inside it was dimly lit. There were skulls, incense, and other decorative looking things adorning the shelves, along with candles and packages of what I saw to be spell kits. I continued looking around and stopped in front of one of the shelves with spell kits.
‘These people sure are into their witchy history,’ I thought to myself as I picked one up designed to bring the enchanter money and financial prosperity. I sighed putting it back down and made my way down the aisle looking at the other various things they had. I was looking at a Witchcraft book when I noticed six girls.

They were about my age, though I could only tell by the way they dressed and their height because their backs were towards me. Two had long black hair, one’s was styled in curls, and the other’s was straight. Another three had brown hair, two of them had it in a straight fashion, the third, and the youngest looking one of the group had it in curls, shorter and tighter than the other curly haired one. The last one stood out the most, her hair was bright red, straight, and hung to the middle of her back. They all dressed similarly to me in a way and kind of looked out of place in the store. Though, this was Salem, I guess everyone here loves witches.

I took my phone out of my pocket and looked at the time. Five o’clock. My mom and Trainer would be expecting me home soon. I put the item I was looking at down and headed out the door and down the street towards the new house.

It was starting to get dark out and people were looking for places to eat with their friends. Doing the same thing as I did coming into town, I smiled at people who smiled at me. The walk home was as peaceful as the walk into town. I walked up the steps into the house and then into the kitchen to find my mom and Trainer already sitting at the table.

“I found a really cute deli in town,” I said placing the bag on the table. “I got Trainer two ham and cheese sandwiches and one for you too, mom. I got myself a turkey.” I took everything out of the bag and gave the contents to the appropriate person. “Oh and here’s your change, mom. I didn’t really find anything I wanted in town today.” I placed the money on the table and then walked over to the refrigerator to grab a water bottle, the only thing we actually had to drink in the house.

As we ate, mom talked about the things she wanted to do to the house and told us we were allowed to go as crazy as we wanted with our rooms because that would be our space. I was really excited to decorate my room, though I didn’t know how I would do it yet. Trainer was talking about school, bragging about how this was his last year and he would be off to college next year, of course.

“So, I’ll have to go grocery shopping tomorrow afternoon,” My mom said, throwing her plate away. “That means you will have to eat the cereal we have dry but also I want you guys to unpack your rooms as much as you can. They need to be as ready as they can be before school starts. I don’t want boxes being torn open because you can’t find a shirt or your sneakers or boots or something important.” Trainer and I both nodded in response. “Why don’t you two go up and get your beds ready?”

I was the first to obey and headed up to my room and began putting my purple linens on my white queen size bed. After I put the pillow covers on I flopped on top of the comforter and looked around my new room. There was so much I could do with it: a themed room, keeping it the same as my old room, painting the walls different colors. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. The jet lag was setting in as I have been up since three thirty this morning packing some of my things last minute. I climbed out of bed and over to a box marked ‘pajamas’ and found a comfy pair of sweatpants and my University of Miami sweatshirt. After pulling them on, I climbed back into bed only this time under the comforter and settled into a cozy sleep.

Day one in my new town was complete. I don’t love it, I barely like it here, but like Trainer said, this is home now. Who knows, maybe what my mom said is true and we will be a family here. Deep down, I hoped it was true and I also hoped I would grow to like it here.
♠ ♠ ♠
So we get our first glimpse of the other six girls in the coven in this chapter. I'm not going to be rushing anything in this story so it doesn't mean that next chapter is going to be the Coven getting together. That won't happen for a little bit. I have the entire story planned out and some backstory on the characters themselves.
Anyway, I hope you liked it. Please read//comment//subscribe. It would mean the world to me to get a comment on this. =] Constructive criticism is always welcomed in my stories. =]