Coven

Chapter 3

The obnoxious sound of my alarm clock blared in my ear. I groaned at its annoyingness, turning it off, throwing my covers to the side, and climbing out of bed. Today would be my first day at Salem High School.

I walked over to my closet and looked through the clothes that were currently in there. Most of my room was unpacked, my dresser was full, my desk was neat and tidy, and my closet had most of my clothes in it. I picked out a plain white t-shirt and a black cardigan since it would be chilly out and grabbed a pair of skinny jeans from my dresser.

After changing, lacing up my boots, and grabbing my bag, I went downstairs where I found Trainer and my mom already eating breakfast. I sat down and grabbed my frosted flakes and milk pouring an equal amount into the bowl then grabbing a spoon.

“So, Abbi, are you excited for your first day of school?” My mom asked, not turning her head from the paper she was reading.

“Am I ever excited for school?” I answered back stuffing a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

“I have a feeling you are going to like this school,” She said back, finally looking at me, her eyebrows raised. “You only have four classes a day and it’s a two day block schedule.” She took a bite of her muffin before continuing. “Plus, I know you are going to make friends today.”

“Let’s hope so,” I sighed, finishing my breakfast.

“Well, go on you two,” My mom said motioning to me and Trainer. “You don’t want to be late for your first day of school.”

I stood up and went to the door; Trainer did the same, sticking a piece of toast in his mouth and then grabbing the car keys. We walked out to the car just after yelling mom a goodbye and I got into the passenger seat. Mom wouldn’t need the car today, she worked mostly at home being journalist and worked for the town’s newspaper now. If she had to use the car, she said she could walk, not living far from headquarters.

We pulled into the parking lot where kids littered the lawn and the entrance and cars were pulling in to their desired parking spot. Trainer pulled into the closest one and we got out. The building was fairly huge, three floors, and Salem High School in big letters on the building wall. It was definitely different than Miami Senior High School, a bit smaller, a little less colorful, there wasn’t as much grounds, and instead of bleach blonde, fake boobs at the age of 15, the people here seemed pretty normal and average.

“Meet you here after school?” Trainer said. I nodded and headed into the building.

The inside wasn’t as bright as Miami. The only good thing that was different here was there were no uniforms, meaning no more ugly blue polo tops and khaki pants. After spotting the main office, I went in to get my schedule. Since we just moved here a few days ago, the schedule wasn’t mailed to our new house so I had to go to the office to get it.

“Hi, I’m Abigail Sanderson,” I said to the lady at the front desk. “I just moved here a few days ago and need my schedule.”

She nodded and started typing away; asking me various questions such as my name again, age, and grade, trying to find my schedule. “Okay,” She said as the schedule printed out and then handing it to me. “Today is Red day. You will go to you A, B, C. and D classes today along with your lunch period. Tomorrow is White day and you will go to E, F, G, and H and your lunch period.” I nodded signaling I understood. “Your class starts soon, you should hurry.”

I nodded once again, taking my schedule and waving to Trainer who had just walked in as I walked out. I apparently had “A” period English today. I made my way through the halls and into what I figured to be the English wing after walking up to the third floor. Finally I found room 311, English with Mr. Seal. I sat down at an empty desk next to a girl with straight jet black hair, piercing blue eyes, a pale face, a key necklace around her neck, and a beanie atop her head. I smiled as I sat next to her and she smiled back just as the teacher walked in.

He was tall, handsome, and fairly young. I could tell he was on the younger side as he had a full head of dark brown hair on his head. His smile was quite welcoming as he started shushing us. I could tell from the looks on some of the female classmates around me that he was a teacher many swooned over.

“Okay class,” He started. “My name is Mr. Seal and I will be your American Literature teacher for this year. Before I start explaining this year’s curriculum, I will be taking attendance.” He took a clipboard off his desk and began reading names. “Bailey Barnet?” He started. I wasn’t really paying much attention until I heard my name. “Abigail Sanderson?”

“Here,” I said, raising my hand.

“No relation to the famous Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus I presume?” He laughed.

“No sir, no relation to them at all,” I laughed back.

He laughed again and continued taking attendance when the girl next to me turned to face me.

“You’re new here aren’t you?” She asked. I nodded, pushing a piece of hair behind my ear. “I’m Jade Martin, part of the welcome committee here at Salem High.”

“Well, I’m Abigail but you can call me Abbi,” I smiled.

“Well, Abbi, how would you like to join me and my friends for lunch?” She asked. “Seeing as your new here you probably need someone to sit with.”

“Sure, I would love to,” I smiled. Mr. Seal then finished taking attendance and started telling us about this year’s curriculum.

“So this year your vocabulary will be harder, the books will be harder to read, and the tests won’t be that hard,” He started. “I don’t believe in a lot of homework but the school board forces me to give it and I must obey if I want to keep my job. I’m not here to make you fail but I’m also not here to be your friend. This is your longest class of the day so I want it to be bearable.”

The rest of class pretty much went on like that. He passed out a syllabus about what we would be reading this year and what else we would be working on in class. Before I knew it the ninety one minute class was over and I was heading to my next class, Social Studies. Jade was kind enough to tell me where my class was, which wasn’t far from the last class. This class was shorter than my last class but not by much and pretty much went the same as the last one as well.

After that class it was time for lunch. I saw Jade on my way to the cafeteria and she decided to walk with me, no sign of her friends yet. We walked into the cafeteria to buy our lunch. I ended up only getting a pizza, some chips, and water before following Jade to a table with five other girls, one I recognized to be Bailey from our English class but something about her also seemed pretty familiar.

“Okay girls, this is Abbi Sanderson,” Jade introduced me. “Abbi this is Ava, Hailey, Chloe, Lily, and you remember Bailey from English. Abbi just moved here.”

“Hi Abbi,” The girl named Chloe greeted. “How do you like Salem so far?”

“I like the schedule, it’s different than my old school,” I said, taking a sip of water.

“Not the classes,” Ava laughed. “We mean the town. How do you like Salem?”

“Oh uhm, it’s quite a change from Miami, Florida, that’s for sure,” I shrugged.

“You’re from Miami?!” Bailey exclaimed and I nodded. “Is it amazing there?”

“Yeah, I wasn’t much of a beach person but I loved the weather and it was pretty amazing,” I smiled. That’s when I noticed they all had the same necklace as Jade around their necks. I figured it was a friendship necklace. Back in Miami people usually went for friendship bracelets but I guess this was a Salem thing. Just as I bit into my pizza, Trainer walked over to us.

“Hey Abbi, mom wanted me to tell you she won’t be home when we get back,” He told me.

“Oh, okay. I’ll cook tonight,” I smiled. He nodded and walked away.

“Who was that hottie?” Hailey asked, leaning towards me.

“Oh, that’s my brother Trainer,” I laughed. “He’s a senior this year.”

“He’s so cute,” Lily said. I laughed at the predictability. Girls normally loved my brother and all my girlfriends always had a crushes on him. He was the stereotypical high school quarterback; good looking, muscular, had light hair and blue eyes, a strong facial structure. If he could act, he'd be perfect to play in those high school comedies as the douchebag character.

“Yeah, I get that a lot,” I laughed again.

“Yeah, so anyway,” Ava changed the subject. “Abbi you should definitely hang out with us soon. We can be your first friends in Salem.”

“Sure, I would love to,” I smiled at them. Soon lunch came to an end and we went our separate ways for our next classes which were the shortest of the day. I ended up having gym with Ava and Math with Chloe. As I was leaving school, Jade walked up to me.

“Hey, I’m coming over your house on Friday,” She smiled. “I’m going to show you around Salem. Like I said, I’m part of the welcome committee here.”

“Okay, I’ll hold you to that,” I laughed walking over to the car where Trainer was already standing.

“Mom will be happy you made friends,” He said climbing in the car. “Is it just me or are you actually starting to like it here, Abbi?”

“I’m not starting to like it here,” I rolled my eyes. “I’m simply dealing with the fact we will be here for a while. I can’t be antisocial the entire time.”

He rolled his eyes back at me and started the car. So what if I made friends here? It doesn’t mean I will ever enjoy living here. It just means that I am trying to make the best out of the situation, being an optimist about it. I had to act happy for mom to be happy and that is what I am doing. I’m putting thoughts of her happiness in front of selfish thoughts of mine, like a good daughter should.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sort of a filler chapter but the next chapter will be rather exciting. Please Read//Comment//Subscribe! Don't be a silent reader! =]