‹ Prequel: iGet Revenge

iThought We Were Done

Three

Sam sighed as she lay back in her bunk. The lights were still on because Mariah, Sam's room mate, was still studying. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the light.

"I'm really sorry." Mariah called from her desk, hunched over her papers. She had long red hair that she seperated into two braids everyday. She had a few freckles sprayed across her nose and big brown eyes.

"It's fine Mariah, you're just trying to graduate." Sam pretended the lights didn't bother her.

"I've been meaning to buy a lamp since freshman year, i'm such a ditz." Mariah spun in her office chair to look at Sam, her eyes drooping.

"Really, it's fine."

Sam sat up and reached for a bag of chips that sat on the floor in front of her bed. Mariah smiled while Sam popped one into her mouth. Mariah neede a lot of reassurance in everything she did. Her outfits in the morning, the boys she liked, even her own family. Sam liked Mariah, she was nice, but she did annoy her. Crumbs fell down onto Sam's pajama'd lap and she brushed them off with her left hand. Her promise ring glinted in the light.

"Hey what's that?" Mariah asked, crossing the room and picking up Sam's hand.

"Oh, it's my promise ring. Freddie gave it to me around a year ago. You haven't noticed it?"

"No, what's he promising?" Mariah always asked questions like that. She needed details about everything.

"Um, that he'll marry me, just as soon as we're out of college, And that one day we'll have a little boy." Sam felt weird explaining what her promise ring meant. Mariah sighed in admiration.

"That's so cute Sam. You are so lucky to have such a great boyfriend. What's his mom think of you?"

"She's uh..she's dead."

"Oh, how'd she die?" Mariah walked back to her desk and turned around in her chair.

"She was murdered." Sam whispered.

"Do you know who did it?" Mariah pressed.

"My ex best friend. Anything else you'd like to know?" Sam blurted. Mariah was so nosy.

"Yeah, what happened to her?" Mariah faced Sam again. Her mouth opened wide in question.

"Turn off the light Mariah."
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know!