Status: Finished :)

Taking Down the Sunrise

Eleven

“You’re dumber than shit,” Avery stated matter-of-factly. He shook his head, forced himself to stop pacing and sat down across from Severus. “I thought this is what you were working towards. You know, fucking her? What’s wrong with getting it over with on the first date?”

Severus sighed, “She didn’t want it. She was scared. I would have been taking advantage of her.”

“And what the hell is wrong with taking advantage of a Mudblood?” Mulciber asked calmly, “It’s not like they’re good for anything else.”

“Please don’t call her that.”

Avery and Mulciber exchanged a glance, “It’s either ‘Mudblood’ or ‘that Evans bitch’. Take your pick.”

Severus didn’t reply.

With a groan, Avery said, “Let’s make this a lot simpler for you. It doesn’t matter whether she actually wanted to sleep with you or not. The point is you rejected her and she is going to kill you for that.”

“You don’t know Lily,” Severus snapped.

“True,” Avery answered, a sly smile creeping onto his lips, “But I do know girls and despite Evans’ blood class, she’s still a girl. And all of them work on the same principle. And that principle is if you ask them for sex and you reject them, they will be fucking mad.”

“You’re fucking mad,” Severus retorted icily, “Lily is going to see that I did the right thing in leaving her last night. She’s going to see that I didn’t want to hurt her and that by not going to her room, I did her a favour. She’s sensible.”

“She’s a woman. Her gender makes her certifiably insane,” Mulciber said coolly.

There was a beat where none of them spoke. Avery looked curiously between Mulciber and Severus, trying to decide who was winning the battle. Mulciber stared evenly at Severus, daring him to deny his words. Severus seemed to be transfixed by the floor. He was tracing the lines between the stone as if they were each a memory of last night. He remembered her laugh, her rage and the look on her face by the portrait hole. He swore.

“She’s gonna kill me,” Severus whispered. The two other boys smiled as he continued, “She was so embarrassed... what do I do?”

Avery leaned forward so his elbows were resting on his knees and said conspiratorially, “Woman will tell you they are all different, but when it comes to dealing with their anger, the same tactics work for all of them. This is a very tricky situation, because Evans knows you were right to leave her but at the same time she has her pride and she was humiliated by what you did. So you have to tell her not that you were wrong, but that you were sorry for leaving her, understand?”

“No.”

Avery’s sigh echoed through the room as he tried desperately to try and find another way to explain it. Minutes passed in silence and then he said, “You’re going to apologize for leaving her in front of the common room, but never in your apology will you ever say you were wrong to do so.”

“Why not?”

“Because she’ll wonder why you left if you thought it was wrong to do so. She’ll think it was about her and she’ll think you don’t want to fuck her. Now do you get it?”

Severus nodded, “But how would I do that?”

Avery looked about ready to explode. He was just about ready to try again when Mulciber took out his wand, whispered a spell and flicked it towards the air over the coffee table. The smoke from the emerald fire stopped going up the chimney and formed an insubstantial oval in midair. Slowly, it coalesced into a perfect circle and the colours within it changed until it showed a picture.

The image was of Severus and Lily standing in the hall just outside the Gryffindor common room. In a voice that was close to what Lily’s sounded like, her form spoke in the image, “I don’t want to speak to you.”

“I just want to apologize,” The Severus character said frantically, “Will you at least listen to that?”

The fake Lily gave him a look and crossed her arms. Projected Severus took this as a cue to talk and he said, “I’m sorry that I left you out here last night.”

“Then why’d you do it?”

“Because I didn’t want to go too far with you. And I thought that if I came in with you something would happen that neither of us was ready for. I was just trying to protect you.”

Fake Lily smiled, “You’re right, Sev. I’m sorry I was mad at you.”

Mulciber waved his wand and the smoke flew back up the chimney. Severus bit his lips nervously, “Do you really think that’ll work?”

“Try it and see.”