Status: Finished :)

Taking Down the Sunrise

Eighteen

“So you’re telling me you can’t help me?” Lily asked, her green eyes sparkling with doubt, “The great Remus Lupin says he can’t help me?”

Remus smiled tiredly, “I’m not saying I can’t help you, just that I won’t.”

“And why not?”

“Because James would probably kill me.”

Lily looked at him incredulously before realizing he was probably right. She sighed as they turned onto another staircase and then suggested, “What if James helped too?”

“You really think he’s going to want to help you plan the perfect date for your boyfriend?” Remus asked, holding back his laughter, “You’re going to need a lot of help with this.”

“You think?”

He shook his head, his light brown hair covering the edges of his eyes when he looked back up at her. They were only on the third floor now and had four more to go. If she had to spend the entire time begging for his help, she would.

“Tell you what,” he replied, “I’ll ask James if there’s any way in hell he’d help you with this and if he says yes, then you’ve got the whole team.”

“The whole team?”

Remus nodded, “Me, James, Sirius and Peter. You won’t find a better deal anywhere else.”

Lily smiled, “Deal.”

***

Tapping her foot impatiently on the stone floor, Lily stood just before the Great Hall waiting for James reply to come through. She hated that he was making her wait when all he needed to tell Remus was yes or no. It wasn’t as if he was so thick-headed he couldn’t even managed to answer a simple question after having all day to think about it.

Or maybe he is, Lily thought darkly, it would explain all his missing homework assignments.

Lily leaned against the wall with a sigh and was rewarded with a somewhat concerned voice asking, “What’s wrong?”

Lily looked up and caught sight of a Slytherin girl from her year standing in front of her. Her light green eyes reflected the darker colour of Lily’s own eyes as she asked politely, “Who are you waiting for?”

“Just friends.”

“They’re late?” the girl guessed with a sympathetic smile, “Figures.”

“Figures?”

“Gryffindors don’t usually have a good sense of time.”

Fixing the other girl with a painful glare, Lily said, “If you’re just talking to me so that you can insult my house, you can move on. You’re not going to bother me.”

“Oh, no! It’s not that at all,” the girl laughed and extended a hand, “I’m Kallie,”

“Lily,”

“So... Lily, you know Severus right?”

Lily looked Kallie up and down suspiciously. She answered slowly, unwilling to open herself up to more insults, “Yeah...”

“Do you know what he likes?”

“Likes in what?”

Kallie shrugged and shook her head nervously. Her fingers were twisted together and she was bouncing on the balls of her feet. In a calm voice, she replied, “Just in general. What does he like?”

Me, Lily was tempted to reply, feeling suddenly threatened. But instead she shrugged, and answered, “He likes lots of things. He likes purebloods and potions class and defence against the dark arts. He’s pretty open to most things... like hanging outside in the freezing cold and going to class in his pajamas.”

“Oh,” Kallie said, her voice filled with disappointment. “Well I meant more like-”

“Lil!”

Lily turned to see James coming down the hallway, followed by his entourage. She waved at him. Turning back to tell Kallie she had to go, she was surprised to find that the other girl was already gone.

“Who was that?” James asked, coming up behind her.

Lily shrugged, “Some Slytherin girl... did you hear any of that?”

“A bit.”

“Did she sound like...” She wanted to steal my boyfriend? Lily shrugged and shook her head to clear it, “Never mind. It’s not important.”

“You can beat the crap out of her for having a crush on Snivellus later,” James replied. He was clearly annoyed by the jealousy that was evident in her tone. He placed one hand lightly on her lower back and led her into the Great Hall, “We have a lot to work to do here.”