Status: Active, but not updated often.

Growing Up

C h a p t e r 1 ;

It had been approximately two and a half years since I left the dryness and scorching heat of Arizona State, trading it for the lovely green scenery and much cooler, Oxford, England. It was a drastic change to what I had been used too, but being accepted to one of the top universities, it would have been pretty idiotic to turn down the opportunity, especially when I busted my butt through high school. But here I am, finally graduated with an English Language and Literature Degree. Which I am extremely proud of. Though my happiness quickly faded from my thoughts as I walked through arrivals at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport.
Nothing had remotely changed since I was last here. It was still ridiculously hot, and yeah, dry. Not that I had expected anything to change, I mean that would have been a shock to the system if I came back and it was nothing like it used to be. However, the scenery may not have changed, but the people I once knew probably have. Well I would hope they have grown out of their immaturity. But then again, to some of them it would have been a miracle. All through my high school years, I had to put up with their constant childish antics, mockery and put downs. They may have made me feel bad with what they said, but my Dad had told me I could do better than them, that I was the better person. I listened to his words, and they’ve stuck with me ever since. I done my absolute best to be successful in my life, and so far I had done just that. I wasn’t going to be looked down at anymore.

Driving up the familiar street that I hadn’t seen since I left for England, it hadn’t changed at all. The luscious green lawns were perfectly mown. The huge houses that made the cul-de-sac, all lined up on both sides of the street, kids playing on their bicycles, riding them up and down the pavement all smiles on their faces, having no care in the world. If only it lasted.
My family home was tucked away in the corner, the soft cream colour stuck out against the other pale houses that neighboured it. A smile placed its way onto my lips, as I saw my Dad’s truck parked on the drive. It had been so long since I last saw him, he had been working double time so he couldn’t make my graduation. I was a little upset about it, being one of the most important days of my life, but I got over it. If he could have been there, he would have been and that’s all that matters. He hadn’t given himself a break since Mom died, I was just starting high school at the time. Which didn’t help with my school work, but I managed to pull through. Even though I missed my Mom terribly. The thing with Mom and Dad were that they had been so madly in love, and when she passed, she took apart of him with her. He hadn’t been himself since then. I had felt guilty for leaving him all alone these few years, we only made calls to each other every so often, but it wasn’t the same. I was just glad that I would be able to see him now. I pulled up onto the curb just outside the house, with a soft sigh I opened the door before pushing myself out of the seat, grabbing my purse in the process. I breathed in deeply, taking in the warm Arizona air, before making my way towards the front door. I knocked softly a couple of times, before taking a step back. I let my eyes wonder, turning around to face the front yard, where I played as a child. My Mom, sat near enough where I was stood now, watching with a constant smile on her face, an occasional giggle used to escape her mouth as I danced around, also giggling at the world that span around me. Memories like these I hoped would never fade, it’s pretty much all I have.

“Alexis?” a voice from behind me spoke. I whirled around, to see my dad stood in the doorway, a smile placed upon his face, causing the wrinkles around his eyes to stand out. Without hesitation I wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him tightly.

“Hey Daddy” I breathed, before he pulled away from my grasp before looking me over.
“You’ve grown so much, and still as beautiful as ever. You look identical to your mother, now we definitely know what side of the family you got your looks from.” he laughed lightly, though a taint of sadness resides in his words.

“It’s been two and a bit years, pops, not going to look younger am I? Well, minus the height, of course that lets me down.” I was probably the height of a thirteen year old. My 5ft 1 frame which I also got from my Mom’s side, though I wished I got Dad’s, I would have been a lot taller. “And don’t say that either, I got your brains, which I am more than grateful for” I smiled, both of us letting out a small chuckle as we both headed into the house.

The house hadn’t changed much, it still had the faint aroma of vanilla which was a great reminder of Mom, if you entered our home you would have thought she would still be busying herself in the kitchen, cooking away or doing other things around the house. If only that were true. I knew differently, I knew she wasn’t here but I couldn’t stop that little jump in my heart that had occurred when I walked through that door.

“Lexi, how about you go rest up, you’ve had a long day. We can go out for dinner to celebrate your graduation later on this evening.” Dad offered, as he put his hand on my shoulder.

I nodded softly, “That would be great, pops. Thank-you” I smiled, kissing him on the cheek before swiftly making my way up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, hope you guys like ! Comment and Subscribe please ! :'D <3