The Unsinkable Grace

April 1,1911

Grace Pennington stepped off her porch to get the morning newspaper from the paperboy and looked up at the sky. The clouds were gray and heavy with rain, and the air was moist and refreshing. I should have enough time to make it back to the porch before it starts raining, she thought to herself. Grace quickened her pace to make it to the paperboy. She took the paper and then thanked him. She was about half way to the porch when the sky let loose millions of big, heavy raindrops. She tucked the newspaper under her cloak to keep it dry, took off the heels she was wearing, and ran toward the porch. When she got there, she took the paper, which was tucked under her cloak and tossed it on the porch. Looking down at her dress and seeing that it was already wet, she decided to stay in the rain.

She knew her mother, Mrs. Pennington, would be mad that she had ruined her new dress, but she didn't care. Her mother and Alice were out shopping and wasn’t going to be back until later. She thought she’d have plenty of time to take the dress off and let it dry. Besides she loved the rain it was as close to an adventure as she would get. Like her father, Mr. Pennington, she liked adventure because she was her father's daughter. She had his thick, blonde hair and blue eyes and a sense of adventure. Grace's younger sister, Alice, was her mother's daughter and had her mother's strawberry-blonde hair and green eyes, and slender body which Grace had but that was it. The feeling of the cold rain felt good on her skin. It was thrilling.