Fire's Revenge

Modern Day, the Scourge of Mankind

The club was crowded. Everybody was on the dance floor, pushing their bodies against one another’s. Searching for a fire that did not exist inside them. Despite this fact they continued, pushing themselves deep into one another, as if hoping to force the fire out. There were other ways, better ways to find what they searched for.

Fire was easy enough to find, it all depended really on what kind you searched for. There were meeker flames, ones that were merely a shadow of true fire, smaller flames that fought endlessly for a losing battle, furious flames that have ravaged man forever, wild flames that brought the forests of the world to its knees, exotic flames that shown in multiple colors; all easy to find if you knew where to look, but man was not one of them. The heat of a man’s body is but an echo of stolen sun from the man who first tamed fire. It was only a reminder of what they stole.

To Amelia, humanity was disgusting.

But watching this spectacle was not the reason she had come here. Strictly speaking it was not Amelia. But since the name ‘fire’ was the name it was given when it was first tamed Amelia seemed right enough. Names aside Amelia was not here to see the scourge of humanity. Instead she was waiting for the woman who knew where the fire tamer lie.
It did not take long after finding its body that fire figured out that the man who had tamed them was dead. But death does not mean that revenge and justice was not to prevail. There were ways past death, ways that only the most ancient of creatures understood, and fire understood better than most.

Amelia’s head snapped up towards the door. She inhaled the smell of ash, the remnants of her kinds dead. The woman walked graciously towards her, unnerving, unafraid. Amelia smiled; this woman did not know the power fire had, lest she would not come here without protection. Of course even then protection from fire was in many cases useless, the protection from it having been lost some millennium ago.

“You bring me information.” Amelia said as the woman sat down beside her.

“Adrian was right, you are impatient.” The woman said calmly.

“Fire doesn’t wait, not anymore.” she replied sharply.

The woman sighed and handed Amelia a folder. While handing her the file however, their hands touched and the woman drew back. Amelia’s hand had burned her and she smiled when she saw the woman’s scorched skin. “Do you have the money?” The woman asked, trying not to get distracted by the pain in her hand.

“Money,” Amelia said carefully. Paper, easy enough to burn, almost as easy as human flesh; almost. “What information have you brought me?” She said instead.

“Family trees. It was difficult to find what you asked for but after a lot of digging we finally found it.” Amelia opened the file, “A final list of all those descended from the man you were looking for.”

“How many are here?”

“Over 100 thousand.”

“Will one of them tell me where he was buried?”
The woman laughed, “Are you serious? The man you looked for died over 9 billion years ago! We had to cross reference the descendants for the oldest body found with pretty much the rest of the planet! There’s no way you will be able to find out where the man was buried, if he was buried at all!”

“He was buried, I am sure.” Fire would have known if they had eaten his flesh but Amelia had no such memory and so it was true.

“Whatever, do you have my money?” More paper, that’s all these humans searched for. I wonder if they knew, truly knew who they were dealing with. Amelia’s skin grew hotter and the plastic of the table beneath the two of them began to melt. “What the hell!” The woman got up to leave but fire was faster.

She grabbed the woman by the neck and she screamed. Her skin began to blister and melt. Amelia watched as this woman was stripped of everything that made her human. Fire was angry, humanity did not know who it was, what it was truly and absolutely. But fire would show them, fire would show them all. Fire would watch them all burn and dance to man’s screaming.

Fire smiled as it watched her skin turn to ash and slip slowly through her fingers. Her eyes shined unnatural as she began to make her way through the dance floor, burning those who touched her skin. No one would escape fire’s fury. Screaming bodies littered the floor. Some where dead, that much was certain but others were still alive. Pity so many died so fast, fire enjoyed listening to man’s scream.

Fire began to lick the sides of the walls. Metal did not taste better than wood but fire was too hungry to care. It covered the floor and the screaming reached its crescendo. In her hand Amelia held the list, the list of all the people known to have the blood of the thief. Since that day fire has been at the will of humanity while humanity should be bowing down to the flames of the earth. The blood of fire had soon become tainted and even now Amelia felt the touch of man on her skin. It made her angry; she would sacrifice herself for the purity of flame if it be the will of the origin of fire itself.

The club was ablaze, the sight was unnerving. Even the fire fighters were afraid of it, more afraid that they would ever be. Because anything caught in this infinite fire would never escape it and that was what fire did best. Amelia left the building, the untouched list in her hand. Though they may not consciously be aware of their ancestor’s location, their blood will tell the tale.

Amelia will follow the scent of their rich blood to its creature. She will follow it to the ends of the earth until she find where the man’s body lay. And then she shall have her revenge, fire’s revenge. And then all man will burn, the earth shall be swallowed in infinite inferno and fire will take its place amongst the most powerful beings in this universe. All it will take is a little time and patience. But not too much patience, for fire was done waiting and man would pay for what they had done.