Sequel: I Lost It
Status: Moving on to the Sequel...

Remind Me

You're not-

The ride there was quiet, as Katie sat staring out the window. 

I didn't want to bother her and start talking, because I couldn't even begin to understand what she was going through.  

The quiet music was the only sound that could be heard.

"Next left." She said, breaking the 'silence'.

I pulled in and parked. 

She turned an looked at me, teary eyed. 

"It'll be okay." I assured her, running my arm down her hair onto her cheek and then shoulder. "I will be waiting right here for you."

"You're not--" She cut herself off. "Never mind."

"Not what?" I asked her before she could open the door to get out. 

"Nothing. I just thought you were gonna come in, but it's fine. I'll be back out soon." 

She faked a smile my way and got out of the car, walking into the building. 

I sat there on my phone for a few seconds, looking at the scores from all the games the night before.

I tried to take my mind off of it, but I couldn't... I couldn't let her do this alone.

I got out and ran in, clicking the button on the keys to lock the truck. 

As I walked into the waiting room, the woman at the deal asked my name. 

"I'm here with Katie Caan."

"She just went into room 5. Go ahead down there."

"Thanks." I told her, with a smile.

I knocked gently on the door while I eased it open. 

"Well Ms. Caan, I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but--"

The doctor stopped when she saw me. 

"Yes?" She asked. 

"Oh! I'm--"

"He's here for me." Katie said, gesturing me to sit down in the chair next to her.

I sat down and she grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly, awaiting the results.

"Well Katie. You are pregnant." The doctor said.

I looked over at Katie and she had turned white and her eyes were full of tears.  I couldn't tell of they were years of joy or if she was upset. I'd guess some of both. 

I stood up and she jumped up, wrapping herself around me. Her head fell onto my shoulder and she started to full out cry. 

"I'll give you guys some time." He doctor said, seeing herself out.

I pulled Katie in closer to me. 

"Hey. You're okay, babe." I said, trying to calm her down.

"I-- I can't believe this. I'm sorry, Jeff, I'm so sorry."

"Why are you apologizing to me? Kate, you have nothing to be sorry about. I'm here for you. I want to be here for you."

"But I don't want to do this to you.  It's not you. It's not your responsibility."

"Don't push me away." I asked her, almost begging.

I stared into her eyes, hoping that she would feel that I was serious. I wanted to be there for her-- her and the baby.  It didn't matter to me that it wasn't mine. I loved her and couldn't lose her.  

"I'm not pushing you away, believe me. I need you're than anything right now and I love you so much. I love you for being here for me at a time like this. No one else that I know would do this. No one in the world would be here, like you, after three days." She put her head on my shoulder once again. "So thank you."