My Only One

Jack Meet Audrey, Audrey Meet Daddy

Jack-
‘Daddy!’ The little girl’s voice kept playing over and over in my head. I stood here unaware of what to say. I looked at Brittany who tried to avoid eye contact.

“Did she say ‘Daddy’?” I asked.

“Daddy!” The little girl jumped up and down.

“Jack, this is Audrey. Your- Our daughter.” She said quietly.

“Ours? How? We broke up.” I stuttered.

“I didn’t know I was pregnant. I found out after we broke up. I tried telling you but I just couldn’t be like ‘Oh hey Jack, I’m pregnant and it’s yours’.” She looked down.

“You should’ve told me, I would’ve done something, I would’ve made sure I was in her life.” I explained.

“Mommy, is Daddy going to stay?” The girl looked at her.

“I don’t know, Aud.”

“Yay!” She beamed and ran to me. She clung to my leg again. I picked her up.

“So I guess I’m your dad.” She nodded vigorously. “My car is right here so I don’t know what we want to do.”

“Mine is right here.” She pointed to the SUV behind me.

“Can I ride with you, Daddy?” The little girl pleaded. I looked to Brittany.

“Is it okay? I mean I don’t have a car seat.”

“Yeah, I’ll get it out of my car.” She smiled faintly.

“Daddy, when can I see your band pway? Can I meet them? I know Uncle Alex. But what about the other people?”

“If it’s okay with mommy.” I chuckled. “How did you know I was in a band?”

“Mommy told me. She gave me pictures of you. And she told me about you too.”

“She did? What did she say?” I asked curiously. Brittany handed me the car seat and kissed our daughter goodbye. We watched as she got in her car and waited for us.

“She just said how you guys were in a band and you and mommy went to school together. How come you guys don’t talk anymore?” She swayed back and forth.

“She didn’t tell you?” She shook her head. “Oh. I don’t know why.”

“Oh okay.” She said as I buckled her in the car seat.

“So Audrey, how old are you?” I asked trying to get to know my daughter.

“I’m four, but I’m gonna be five soon.” She held up five fingers.

“Wow.” I laughed. “Maybe you, Mommy and I could go out to dinner tonight. I’d love to get to know you, if that’s okay with you.” I glanced at the little brunette in the mirror.

“Yes Daddy.” She grinned. So I have a four year old daughter. This is a surprise. I looked back at her and smiled to myself. Welcome to fatherhood. At least I got one thing I wanted, to have kids with her. Well, not that soon, and I hoped we would’ve been married.

“Hey Audrey.” I glanced at her again.

“Daddy?” She looked at me with her big brown puppy dig eyes.

“When’s your birthday?

“In February. February 13. Mommy told me you loved her a wot. And that she loved you.” She said in a queit little child’s voice.
“The day before Valentine’s day. And yeah Audrey, Mommy and Daddy loved each other, very much.” I sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
so because i love my bestest friend Sevie aka my wifey, she gets another chapter. feedback would be great <3
thanks to:
faganlovesmayday <3
Jonathan Cook <3