Sequel: Homecoming

Goodbye Life As I Know It

Chapter 10

It was the day before my mom and my trip to Pier 39 and I was still not looking forward to it. I'd gotten the job at that coffee shop and that's where I was now. I wiped down the counter and then leaned my elbows on the marble with my head in my hands. I was dead exhausted.
"Tired?"
"Extremely," I said. I looked up into Tre's blue eyes.
I'd also decided to try out a relationship with Tre. He kissed my forehead.
"Can I get an orange mocha frappacino?"
I nodded. "Coming right up."
I made his drink and handed it to him.
"So, what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Going to Pier 39 with me mom," I responded while I washed dishes.
He sighed. "You're always busy. Spend time with me," he whined.
I laughed. "It's either my job, or school coming up, and now this trip. If I could get out of it, I would. Trust me." I leaned my chin in my hand and traced my tattoo of Japanese symbols, meaning punk, with my index finger.
"Don't you wanna go? I've been there, it's pretty cool."
"Yeah, I mean, I wanna go. Just not with my mom."
"Why? I thought you were close."
Was I supposed to explain to my boyfriend that I didn;t want to go with my mom because she was dating someone I had a crush on? Hell no.
"Not anymore. She just doesn't know me. Doesn't care about how I feel." I gritted my teeth.
"Parents will be like that. You should come over tonight," he said, as he played with my hair. "Spend some time with you before you leave."
I nodded. "Definitely."
"I'll pick you up at seven."
"Okay."
"I love you," he said, kissing my lips.
"Love you too. Bye."
I finished my shift and went home around six-thirty. Like pretty much every other day, Billie was over. Mom had the biggest smile on her face.
"Come her, hun. We have to tell you something."
No. No! Please. Oh God no! My heart beat rapidly against my rib cage. I was overreacting. Probably something like...well I don't know, but I was paranoid.
"Sit down," mom said.
I sat in the arm chair and realized I was shaking. My eyes locked on their hands. His hand was over hers. I didn't see a ring. I looked back up.
"We have big news!"
"W-what is i-it?" I had to clench my fists to keep them from shaking.
Mom pulled her hand away from him.
NO! PLEASE NO!
"We're getting married!"
I stood up immediately.
"What's wrong," mom asked.
"Jade, are you okay? You look like you're gonna be sick."
"You could say that," I said, squeezing my eyes shut.
I held back the anger long enough. Everything exploded in a mess of yelling and tears.
"You can't just marry the guy I freak out over because he's so gorgeous! That's so wrong! You know I've had a huge crush on him since I was like thirteen! And you turn around and marry him? How the hell," I trailed of, crying harder than I ever had before.
I ran up the stairs and searched frantically for my iPod. I finally found it and hooked it up to the dock. Okay, song....where is it? Found it. Platypus. Ah, it helps so much. I yelled the words. My door opened.
"Fuck off and die!"
"It's me," Billie said.
"I don't give a damn."
He shut the music off.
"Come on!" I got up to turn it back on, but he grabbed me from behind and sat me on the bed.
"We're talking."
"No we're not," I said trying to get up.
In the end, he had grabbed me around the waist and pulled me on his lap. I couldn't stop bawling my eyes out. I know I'm twenty-one, but if you were in my shoes, you'd understand. Billie set me next to him, keeping his arm firmly around me, so I wouldn't get up. I didn't fight, instead I cried into his chest while he stroked my hair, a very fatherly thing to do. Ugh, no! Really?
I took a deep breath. "Okay, I know I sounded like a total bitch down there," I whispered. "But all of it was true."
I looked up into his green eyes. He was so gorgeous. He didn't have eyeliner on, but he was amazing with or without it. I noticed for the first time that his hair was dyed black and he had on an Adeline hat, that made him look even more hot. Not helping.
He had his arms around me and said nothing. So much for a talk. I kept crying silently. Finally, he spoke.
"I thought you'd be okay with this. Aren't you dating Tre?"
"Kind of. But, I don't know. It's just, not right, I guess."
We were quiet for ten minutes. My door opened and Tre walked in. When he saw the scene, he stopped.
"Babe? What's wrong?"
I shook my head and stayed silent. Despite Tre being there, Billie kissed my forehead and went back downstairs. Tre took his spot next to me.
"Tell me what's wrong," he said, quietly for once.
"It's nothing. I'm just a jealous idiot," I muttered.
"How?"
"She's marying him."
He pulled away and looked into my eyes. "Your mom's marrying Billie?"
I nodded.
He kissed me on the lips. "So...you like him?"
I nodded again.
"I figured as much."
"I love you too Tre."
"Yeah, but not the same."
Tears started to come again as I realize what I'd done. "No, Tre. I was being stupid. I do love you."
"It's okay, Jade, I'm not mad. It's not a big deal." He stood up. "I have to go."
"No, Tre," I said too quietly for him to hear.
He was gone. My mom is marrying the love of my life. I lost my amazing, sweet boyfriend. My life's over. I sat back on my bed and cried for hours.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw so sad. It gets better on the vacation chapter! A little plot twister. And I know she said FOD in another chapter, but she's based on me and I say that all the time if I'm mad. Comment if you like it. Comment if you hate it. Comment if you like cookies! Whoo! Cookies!