Sequel: Homecoming

Goodbye Life As I Know It

Chapter 11

Someone was shaking my shoulder. I kept my eyes shut. They continued to shake my shoulder.
"You aren't sleeping."
"Yes I am."
He laughed. "Get up. You're coming with me."
I opened my eyes and looked up at Mike. He had his blonde hair with brown roots styled high. He was wearing a leather vest with black skinny jeans as he usually did.
"I'm not really in the mood," I told him. "I just wanna sleep."
"Too bad. We're going out."
I pushed the covers off. "Fine, you win."
He waited downstairs as I got ready. When I went down, my mom was in the kitchen.
"Morning," she said.
I just nodded at her.
Mike drove us into town. I didn't bother asking where we were going. It's whatever. He stopped in front of a small diner. The waiter brought us to a booth and took our drink orders. I got water and Mike got-drum roll please- coffee. The waiter brought our drinks.
"Are you hungry," Mike asked.
I shook my head and played with the straw in my drink.
"You better not be going anerexic."
"Not hungry," I murmured.
"You really like him, don't you?"
I shrugged. "It doesn't matter. He likes my mom. Whatever. She's happy. I guess that's all that matters."
"What about? When are you going to be happy? Doesn't Tre make you happy?"
That hit a nerve. I bit my lip. "He, uh, dumped me."
Mike looked shocked. "Why?"
"Because am a dumbass." I hummed quietly to 2000 Lightyears Away to take my mind off things.
Mike sipped his coffee.
"It doesn't matter anymore. Why would I matter? I'm just there. Nobody cares how I feel. Nobody ever did."
"I care how you feel," Mike said, resting his hand on mine.
I pulled away and combed through my hair with my fingers.
"Billie cares how you feel. So does your mom. And Tre."
"You're lying," I mumbled and stood up.
I walked outside the diner to get some fresh air. Mike was right behind me.
"They do care," he said, grabbed my hand so I wouldn't walk away.
If he let go, I'd probably walk into rush hour traffic.
"Tre broke up with me. The time I really needed him! My mom obviously doesn't care if she doesn't take how I feel into account! Billie...I don't even know with him. You're the only one who does care and you're wasting your time."
Mike pulled me into a hug. "No I'm not."
I climbed into the passenger seat of the car. He dropped me off at my house. I went in and found my mom and Billie in the living room. Mom was reading the paper and Billie was strumming his guitar.
"Hey, Jade." Mom stood up. "Read for Pier 39?"
"Nope," I sighed.
"You might change your mind."
"And why would I do that?"
"Because you and Billie are going." I gaped. "You need to bond and talk about some things."
I glanced at Billie who was still playing his guitar. It was Floyd, the one he used at the studio most of the time. "You'll have fun. Your hotel room's book and you're ready to go."
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanna go to Pier 39 with Billie! That would be so much fun! Comments make me happy!