Status: Completed.

All Yours Somehow

where I come from

“Can I get a large peppermint mocha please?” I asked the barrister, looking up from my phone. I had just had another text message from my best friend Holly. She wanted to take me out for a few drinks that night to ‘take my mind off things’. I had recently come out of a long term relationship and all Holly kept doing was trying to fix me up with every guy she could. I ignored her text and threw my phone back in my bag, took my drink and found somewhere to sit. I was home from my first semester at ASU for the holidays and now that I’d finished all my Christmas shopping, I was taking the time to relax, which for me meant going to a coffee shop and getting lost in a good book.

I’d been reading a while and hadn’t noticed people come and go, I never did. I liked having the strangers company while I found interest in whatever I was reading.

“I’m totally Team...er Werewolf?” I heard the guy next to me say. I looked up from my book to see a tall, skinny boy with messy brown hair half-smiling back at me. “Hey,” he smiled wider.

“Excuse me?” I asked him.

“Oh come on, a young girl like you, you are so reading Twilight right now!” he laughed.

“Oh hell no,” I told him seriously. I held my book up for him to see the cover.

“Les Miserables, good choice. And completely not what I thought I’d find someone here reading,” he admitted.

“I’ve read it at least three times,” I told him. “And every time I find something else to love about it.”

We talked about the book for a while before we both started mentioning other books as well. The way he spoke began to restore my faith in humanity, especially since he seemed to have a good mind and spoke with confidence about the subject. I had never met anyone like him before, not even at college. He intrigued me.

“You sure do read a lot,” the boy commented.

“I love it, but I study Literature at ASU, so I have to read lot.”

“You go to ASU? So did I, for a bit anyway!” he told me.

As I went to speak again, I heard my phone ring in my bag. This was the third time since I’d been talking to this guy that it had rung and every time it was Holly. I couldn’t put her off any more. “Look, it’s been nice talking to you, but I should probably go.”

He went to speak again but I walked out of the coffee shop before he had the chance and dialed Holly’s number. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to talk to him anymore, it was that this was such a perfect meeting that I didn’t want to ruin it.

“What are you doing tonight?” she said as soon as she answered.

“Hello to you too,” I laughed. “I am doing nothing tonight that I know of.”

“Good, we’re going to a party. Dress warm, I’ll pick you up at 8.”

“But Holly-”

“No, Hannah. You’re going. See you at 8!” she said, before hanging up on me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hannah's Outfit

So finally starting to post this story! I had the idea for it a while ago but it's taken me a while to get some kind of structure from it. It's very loosely based on a friend of mine's relationship. It's going be quite a fast moving story and some of the chapters might be quite short, like this one, but I hope you all enjoy it!