50 Tips for Writing.

34. Sequencing of events

Why am I going on about stuff you learnt in fifth grade again? Because amazingly enough, most of the stories I've seen LACK a beginning, plot and end in disaster. A story has to have a basic structure. In the beginning, bring in a main character, a situation with a problem. The middle part should consist of our lead character trying to solve the problem, failing a few times to create tension and more drama/excitement before hitting a climax. The ending should be decided whether it's a sudden drift off, a slow tragic ending, a happy quick ending or a horrific unforeseen exit dash. That, my dear, is basically how a story works. We have a character, a few supporting casts, a main situation that needs to be addressed and some adventure along the way, with whichever theme you chose, be it love, horror, sci-fi or historic depression. If your story is just second rate fluffy romance with no real plot, please, don't publish your work, save yourself from the agony of 'WHY WON'T ANYONE READ MY FUCKING STORY? GRRR!' Well, here's some advice. Find your pen and piece of paper, work on that plot of yours again and calm down because no matter how many swear words you know, it's not impressing anyone.