Status: this is really old

The Purpose of Writing

From Grade Six

Writing, for a select few, serves the same purpose as speaking. It's and externalization of the human mind. Genre and subgenre are irrelevant; the purpose of ALL writing is to communicate the internal as well as the external. It is to fit something as abstract and personal as a thought or idea into something as concrete and accessible as the written word.
Confidence that what you have to say is important - that it matters - is crucial. Without it, entire paragraphs will be thrown away on people who will not care about your thoughts unless you're confident enough to believe that they should. If you don't think it's important, then why did you write it in the first place?
Any form of writing is comparative to experimental brain surgery. We use it to learn more about ourselves, each other, and society at large. Without it, the entire human experience is put to waste.
Writing gives us the fundamental ability to document and analyze people, events, and monumental experiences. Think of the mind as a scrapbook or collage of everything that has ever happened to a human, anything they have ever witnessed, and all the memories they've ever had. The collection of all this information is sorted and processed in order of importance. We remember the most crucial details of a monumental even of turning point in our lives. Our writing is an extension of this collection of memories and like the order of our minds, what goes into our writing is only the most memorable of our experiences.
The ability to preserve each memory on a page and re-experience the exact emotions you felt at the time is a valuable skill, and one that most people take for granted. Writing is an axis for every other form of art or communication with the exception of speech, from which it was derived. it serves as a center point of the interactive world. Music, dance, theater, and all forms of human interaction all revolve around the written word. Without writing we cannot fully express our internal and external turmoil, our instinctive habits, or any other thoughts, emotions, or ideas.
Writing cannot be generalized, catagorized, or graded for quality. Any piece of writing you create is unique and styled to fit your specific circumstance and feelings. No two pieces of writing, by the same or different authors, are anything close to the same.
When you write, don't think about the words you're putting down. Just write exactly what you feel or think exactly as you feel or think it. Editing and diction can be done later. The most important thing is to externalize the abstract thoughts and emotions that only you can understand and make them tangible. Remember it all.

Kitty Lee Carter,
Grade Six