The Ugly Truth

To Party Or Not To Party

I tried waving goodbye to Riley and the other guys when we left the beach but I was quickly whisked away. We climbed into the car and sped off once more.

A few minutes later, I realized I still had Riley’s towel wrapped around me. I wanted to throw it onto the pavement we rushed by but I knew better than that. I would have to return it to him, therefore it had to be safe and sound.

Jake pulled up to my house and, after thanking him, I reached to open the door.

“Wait,” Ethan said, his voice unusually close to my ear.

I briskly turned around, frowning.

“Aren’t you going to say goodbye to me?”

He started leaning his face closer to mine, but I pulled back quickly, opening the door in my rush.

“Bye,” I called out to him before briskly walking towards my front door.

They all waved goodbye rapidly before speeding off, but I caught the murderous look in Ethan’s eye, which, frankly made me happy. He had been torturing me all day, it was his turn to suffer.

I stalked up to my room and laid down on my bed. I should have taken off all the sandy clothes and washed my salty hair, but I couldn’t bring myself to rise from amidst the sheets.

His towel lay crumpled up on the floor. I walked over to it and kicked it as far away from me as possible. I didn’t want anything to remind me of Riley.

I turned on my computer and logged onto Facebook. I had one new message from Caroline. Would the girl ever leave me alone?

Hey, Linds. I’m having a party at my house tonight. I don’t know if you’ve already got plans, but I would appreciate it if you could drop by. I invited all our friends from high school so they could see how fabulous you look! And, plus there will be a bunch of cute guys there. See you soon!
-Caroline


A party. I had never gotten invited to one of those when I was in high school. It’s so sad how your appearance can change how people treat you.

I remember everyone talking about those infamous parties. I hadn’t gone to one. I have never been too fond of parties, because they tend to get out of control, but all I wanted back in the day was to go to one of Caroline’s, but she barely knew I existed.

And now, all of a sudden, I had such a casual invitation to one. I had anticipated it for so long that I thought the day that I did get invited, if that day ever came, there would be a royal courier bearing the message.

I could go. I was wanted there. I couldn’t not go, the doubt of what one of Caroline’s parties was really like would nag at me for the rest of my life.

So I tried to push Riley out of my mind and walked over to my suitcase, from which I still hadn’t removed all my clothes. I had lots of time to get ready, so I decided to be organized for once in my life and place all my garments in the wardrobe.

As I removed each piece from my suitcase, I pondered what to wear. I didn’t want to look like I was trying too hard, but I also didn’t want to go underdressed. Finally, I settled for a simple black dress and oxford heels.

I laid them out on my bed and sighed. Everything seemed wonderful, except it wasn’t. I wasn’t one of them. I could never be.

And Riley didn’t like me. I could pretend I was happy, and for a moment, my sadness had been eclipsed a little, but his last words echoed in my head. The way he had looked at me burned my eyes every time I closed them.

All I had wanted was to have a normal summer. Just to come back home and relax from studying so much, not have to deal with so much drama. I hadn’t even had this much back in high school.

“Hey, sweetie,” my mom said, entering my room.

“Hi Mom.”

“Where are you going with that dress?” she asked, pointing to my bed, where it was spread out.

“Caroline invited me to a party.”

“Caroline? As in that girl that used to get on your nerves?”

“Yeah. I want to go but it’ll be like pretending to be something I’m not. I don’t belong there.”

“You know what, you’re right, Lindsay. You don’t belong with them, but not because they’re any better than you, but because you are. They might be the most beautiful or the richest, but they will never be good people like you. And that’s all the better for you, because those things come and go. If you’re able to forgive them, then go to that party and have fun, because I know you’re dying to. Just don’t have too much fun,” she joked.

“Thanks, Mom.”

She hugged me and tweaked my nose before she left me alone in my room once again.

My mom always made me feel better. And she was right. I wasn’t going to let them stop me from going and having a great time.

I turned up my stereo and danced meanwhile I got all my clothes picked out and decided what to do with my hair.

I was going to have fun at the party. I wasn’t going to care about who was there, whether it was Caroline or Ethan. I was going to just concentrate on having a good time. It would be great a night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. Once again, please excuse any errors.
If you are interested in seeing what Lindsay was going to wear to the party, here's the dress: http://s8.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/0F40006B.jpg and here are the shoes: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k90kc-Q6EaU/Tk3eHbEHtPI/AAAAAAAACRU/NVOb8Rs7AYM/s1600/oxford+heels.jpg

Thanks again for reading!
-Brenda