The Ugly Truth

10 Digits

The picture Caroline had of me terrorized me. It could mean my social death in this town forever.

Sure, I could do all the things she asked me to, but that could go on forever and she had the upper hand.

What I needed was to give her a taste of her own medicine. I needed to find something so embarrassing that she would give mine back gladly. But how would I find something? It was nearly impossible.

I decided to take a walk and get some air. Maybe that would awake inspiration.

As I headed towards the boardwalk, I couldn’t help but think of Riley. What was I supposed to think of him? One minute he was extremely cold and the next he was back to his wonderful self.

Lost in my thoughts, I accidentally bumped into someone. Papers flew everywhere.

“I’m so sorry!” I exclaimed, chasing after the sheets that blew away with the wind.

“It’s ok,” a blonde guy smiled.

I handed him all the papers I had rescued but he gave me one back.

“We’re having a festival here at the beach in a few days. There will be a few local bands playing, a surfing competition and a BMX performance.”

“Oh, cool.”

He smiled as I pretended to look over the flyer. I just couldn’t concentrate on reading about some event (which did actually sound fun) when there was a cute guy staring at me.

As I was about to turn and leave, he spoke again.

“You know, we are short on some volunteers. Would you be interested in doing it?”

Of course I was interested, not only because it sounded like a fun thing to be part of, but also because he would probably be there.

“Um yeah.”

“Well just fill out this sheet and you’re all set,” he said giving me another paper.

As I filled it out, he looked at what I was writing.

“So your name is Lindsay…”

“Yeah. What’s yours?”

“I’m John.”

And he flashed me another one of his dazzling smiles. I think my heart melted a little.

“Well, here you go, John.”

“Thanks. All you have to do is show up the day of the festival, Saturday, and show up a few hours earlier than it starts. So you’d have to be here around five.”

“Ok, I’ll be here.”

Once again, I was about to walk off, but he stopped me.

“Wait, Lindsay, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Can I have your number?”

I wanted to yell out yes and throw myself in his arms, but I figured that would scare him off.

“My number?”

“Yeah, to contact you during the festival and stuff.”

“No.”

“No?” he asked in a sad tone.

“No. You have it in the form in your hand.”

He looked down at it and grinned sheepishly.

“Well, that’s embarrassing. Could have saved myself a lot of trouble, huh?”

I just laughed and waved goodbye.

So, I had set out to clear my mind and had returned with a new crush and an event to participate in.

I grabbed my phone to check the time and saw I had a text from Riley.

Riley. I had completely forgotten about him. I suddenly felt bad for flirting with John.

It was old, from about an hour ago asking if I was busy. Obviously I had been, with John. I texted back I wasn’t and returned home, waiting for a reply. I waited and waited but the answer never came.

I was about to feel sad, when I thought of John. I didn’t need Riley anymore. John was just as cute and was probably as nice and funny and kind and interesting and incredible.
Probably.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I finally got time to write! Sorry for the delay...
Thanks for reading!
-Brenda