Status: Active

Second Heartbeat

We Keep Writing, Talking And Planning, But Everything's Changing

“Class, I’d like to introduce you to a new student, now she’s just come from Mayfair. Haley, would you like to come in?”

I opened the door and stepped into the classroom. Nearly everybody’s jaw dropped. Guess they weren’t expecting someone like me.

“Well Haley, would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself?”
“Sure, I’m Haley, I’m sixteen and I love punk, sue me.”

The teacher shook her head at my speech and gestured to the class.

“Take any seat you like Miss Turner.”

I nodded and then raised my head, searching for Matt, my brother. When I found him I smiled and made my way over to where him and a couple of other guys were sitting.

“Right kids, I need to go to a meeting, why don’t you quietly chat amongst yourselves for a bit.”

We all nodded and I smiled at Matt.

“Hey Matt. Sorry I’m late, my friggin’ car hates me.”
“You took the bus?” he asked, seemingly appalled.
“Unfortunately yes. Anyway, who are you guys?”
“I’m Vengeance, you can call me Zacky.”
“Hey, I’m The Rev but you can call me Jimmy.”
“Awesome.”

We chatted for a while and I already liked the two of them but too soon the bell rang and I was on my way to my first lesson, English.

I went through the whole new student thing again and once again the teacher was nice enough to let me choose my own seat.

I chose one next to a guy that was wearing an Iron Maiden T-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans, he had a bandana on and his long black hair almost reached his shoulders. That’s when my eyes met his.

“Hey, I’m Haley.”
“Brian. So you went to Mayfair huh?”
“Yep.”
“What you move down here for?”
“A lot of stuff.”

He leaned back in his chair and put his arms behind his head.

“Well, Mr. Thompson doesn’t care about people like us, he knows that our specialty is music.”

I rolled my eyes at him but sighed nonetheless.

“I don't really wanna talk about it with someone I've just met." I told him, my voice laced with venom.

He just looked at me for a minute and then sighed.

“Sorry.” He mumbled.

I shrugged and got my beloved notebook out and started doodling.

“Whatever."

He smirked at me and my stomach started doing back flips while my heart started beating at a hundred miles an hour. Great. I’ve only just arrived and I’m already getting a crush on someone I’ve known for maybe five minutes.

For the rest of English I paid attention to the teacher and all but ignored Brian. As the bell rang I jumped out of my seat and ran towards the door.

I then spent the next half hour trying to find my classroom.

“Fuck!” I growled as I looked down at the map that the receptionist had given me.

I stomped out to the field and found Matt and his friends sitting by a big oak tree.

“Matt!” I called.
“Haley! What are you doing?”

I walked over to him and sat down.

“I got lost.” I said simply before taking the drink from his hand and taking a sip.
“Sure you did.”
“I did Matt. Oh, hey Brian.”

Suddenly the other guys’ all spat out their drinks and looked at me.

“What? What did I do?”
“You just called him Brian…” Zacky said.
“So?”
“So nothing guys. Let it go.” Brian himself growled at Zacky.

They shrugged and I scowled at Matt. I’d get it out of him later.

“So, Haley how do you know these guys?”
“Oh, Matt's my brother.”
“He’s WHAT?”
“Geez, is there something wrong with me? You all seem so surprised at everything I say.”
“Sorry. I’m just surprised. Matt you always told us that you had your little sister but that was it.”
“No I said that I had one OTHER sister, you all KNOW Amy.”

I just sat there feeling awkward for a bit until I looked up at Matt and he smiled down at me.

“You know I feel VERY short around you guys.”
“Well how tall are you?”
“Five-six.”
“Hey you’re almost as short as short shit.”
“Who?”
“Our friend in ninth grade.”
“You’ve got a friend in the ninth grade?” I asked them skeptically.
“Yeah, he’s actually Amy’s friend but he’s our friend too.”
“Oh, okay.”

For a while we just sat there in silence until Brian stood up. Everyone else stood up with him.

“Where you guys going?”
“The beach. Today is ditching day, you coming?”
“Sure. Brian, help me up.”

He reached down and pulled me up.

“Thanks.”
“You are welcome my highness.”
“Hm, I could get used to that.”

Matt groaned and I playfully punched his shoulder.

“Chill, I’m just kidding.”

We made our way to the school parking lot and piled into Matt’s car.

“Right, before we go to the beach, Matt we need to swing by the surf shop, I need to pick up a bikini.”

The guys were all grinning while Matt face-palmed.

“Whatever.”

While Matt drove the rest of the guys changed into swimming trunks, I just stared out of the window.

As soon as we got to the surf shop the guys all pulled me out of the car and into the shop.

“Hey guys. Haven’t seen you in here in a while.”
“Hey Koz, we’ve got a new member to the group. Her name is Haley and Matt forgot to mention that today is ditch day, so she needs a bikini.”
"I know her. Hey Haley."
"Hey Koz."
"Usual bikini style?"

I nodded at Koz before he led me over to a rack of really cool rocker style bikinis.

“I’m paying sugar so I get to pick.” Brian whispered in my ear.

I stepped back so that he could look and then his eyes scanned my body before he picked out a yellow one with roses on it.

I tried it on and it was a perfect fit.

“Leave it on.”
“Okay.”

We walked out to where everyone else was and I gave them a bit of a show.

“I call dibs!” some kid yelled out.

I turned to look at him with my hands on my hips and raised an eyebrow at him.

“Who the HELL are you?” I asked him.
“Johnny. Johnny Seward.”
“Who?”
“Oh, they didn’t tell you my name. They probably told you my name is short shit.”
“Oh, I know who you are. Um, nope, sorry, I don’t date guys who are younger than me.”

He pouted at me but then smiled.

“I bought her swimsuit, I call dibs. Any objection to that?”

His chocolate brown eyes met my bright grey ones and I got that weird feeling again, causing me to stammer.

“Um… well… I… yeah I…”

I sighed and then looked down at the floor.

“No Brian, I don’t.”

Little Johnny squealed and I looked in his direction.

“Leave it short shit. Come on.”

He held his hand out and I took it reluctantly.

“To the beach!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to: ET (feat. Kanye West) - Katy Perry

Ashley, Synacky oxox