Status: Active

Second Heartbeat

And I Feel Time Passes By, Regrets For The Rest Of My Life

Papa Gates paused a little as he thought about how to word his answer before he looked me straight in the eye and gave me the kind of news that I’d hope I’d never hear.

“He’s been MIA since the day you all graduated. Suzy and I woke up the next morning to find all of his stuff still there but he wasn’t. He hasn’t been home since.”

He was cautious as he read my reaction, not sure whether I was bothered or not but when he saw the tears fall down my face he reached over and took my hand in his.

“This isn’t your fault Haley. He did this to himself. Not the other way round.”
“I know that but I just thought that… I don’t know what I thought.”

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee as he looked up at the clock.

“Look Haley, I need to go. My plane leaves in about four hours. I’m only half-packed. If you ever need anything. Just to talk or anything… Just remember you’ve always been like a daughter to me.”
“Thanks Papa Gates. I’ll see you soon.”
“Bye Haley.”

It was starting to get cold so instead of walking back to our apartment I hailed a cab. Standing on the curb, waiting for one to come close enough I noticed a young man sitting on the doorstep of what I thought was a storage garage across the street. He was handsome, if a little bit scruffy. He reminded me of Brian. He had two full sleeves of tattoos like Brian and the same button nose, same shade of hair. I bet if I got close enough he would have the same color eyes as well.

I was still staring at him when I realized that he was staring right back at me. His stare was filled with pity, sadness, pain. I glanced around him and he was surrounded by belongings like a sleeping bag, pillow, blanket, jacket… he was homeless.

Finally I was able to tear my gaze away from him and a cab came down the street. I told the driver my address and then looked back through the window. Within seconds after we had pulled away from the curb I looked back at the man, whose face was now illuminated by the brake lights, and realized as he stood up, turned around and walked away that it was Brian. I wanted so badly to call out and tell the driver to stop, run after Brian but for some reason I just couldn’t find the words in me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to: My Worst Nightmare - Forever The Sickest Kids