The Fall And Further Fall Of Kiata - Dying

The Fall And Further Fall Of Kiata - Dying

I'm dying.

Inevitably, I am dying. But I didn't know it would be this way...

At some enraged wolf's jaws, most probably. Maybe a human with the light of slaughter in their eyes. But never, never this way...not trapped in a circle of glistening starlight, drawing itself tighter and tighter around my neck with every breath I take...I thought I would die at the hands of a living creature, at least...

Ha! Fate has a sense of humour. I once killed (who cares if you know that now?), but never with my own strength, never - I have no strength. I killed with trickery and speed, but the thing that struck the final blow was a snare. A snare just like the once killing me now...

I gave in long ago. Struggling when you're in a snare is hopeless and moronic, but I did so anyway; no one's coming to save me, so my only hope lies in struggle. But that's over now. I feel...drained, more than ever before. Something in this wire must be affecting my breathing, my muscles hurt so much. I always wondered why Torak didn't fight until the bitter end...

Torak? Who's Torak? It doesn't matter. He's dead. I killed him. The only truly good deed I ever did. Nothing lasts forever, you should know that, and everyone, absolutely everyone, leaves you eventually. I just sped up his leaving...for revenge, for my release, and, to a lesser extent, for his own good.

You still want to know? And I dying so slowly in front of you? Why don't you do something? Detach this choking wire, loosen it from my neck, give me one last chance to live...

I know you won't. Who would? I've hurt so many people, maybe you know one, some poor soul broken by Kiata, the white wolf with the amber eyes. But if you did I wouldn't live anyway. I never have. Maybe it's best that I just lie here and die...

Do you really want to know? Know how I came to be here, dying in the sun and snow? It's long. Very long. I've been alive for almost half a decade. But maybe I'll tell you - tell you of the love and pain, the loyalty and the treachery (it all led to death anyway).

Fine. I'll do you a deal. I'll tell you, and once I'm done you set me free. For one last chance. Maybe I'll even reform, drop the femme fatale label and become just...ordinary. Maybe...

So you want me to die? You'll maybe set me free? I suppose that's as good as I'm ever going to get...