Slow, Baby

I LOVE YOU.

Oh my God, she couldn’t do it.

Her eyes were locked against the doorknob, her heart trying to gain the courage to slip her hand around it and push it open, even though she knew even if she did that her feet wouldn’t budge. She was physically ready. She had slipped on her best pair of jeans, a very pretty blouse, and she had even decorated herself with a soft pink bracelet. She wore no shoes just like she had seen Yura `do, instead opting for being barefoot, her eyebrows scrunching together the moment she looked down and realized her nail polish had chipped on her big toe. She cussed and walked over towards her sock drawer, taking out some cute kitten socks and slipping them on. All she could do was pray no one would find them too childish.

She turned her head when she heard a knock, a big brown eye peeking in. “Taaara~ are you good to go?”

She smiled back at her friend, giving her a nod as Yura opened the door, linking her arm with hers and slipping her out. They were greeted by seven boys clapping, one of them waving his arms around as he sat down on the floor.

Her eyes flashed down to the boys, inspecting them one by one as her gaze fell upon their feet, noticing one of them wearing Hello Kitty socks. Suddenly she didn’t feel so embarrassed anymore.

“Guys, this is Tara, my sweet, new roommate. Tara these are...” The blonde paused, giving a frown as she shrugged her shoulders. “Not important enough for you to learn their names.”

The one with straight brown hair, pouted, pointing at her. “You are a cruel woman.”

Yura stuck her tongue out at him. “You forgot to buy me my Milkis.”

His pout broke into a smile, his eyes looking down without saying a word.

The blonde turned towards Tara and rolled her eyes. “That is Zico, the oh-so-mighty leader of Block B.”

He stood up turning over and waving at the other members to stand up as well before giving her a deep bow. “Zico at your service!”

The tall, dark haired boy next to him gave her an awkward smile. “Jaehyo, nice to meet you.”

She recognized the crooked smile as soon as the boy next to that one bowed, wiggling his eyebrows. “It’s good to know your name, Tara-noona. I’m Kyung.”

The one redheaded boy next to him gave her a polite nod before giving her a beautiful grin. “My name’s Yukwon, nice to meet you, noona!”

A boy around his same height with a light shade of blonde gave her a smirk. “It’s good to meet you, my stage name is B-Bomb, but you can call me Minhyuk if you like.”

One of the tall boys gave her a cheeky smile, before giving a deep bow. “Nice to meet you, noona, I’m the cute maknae, P.O.”

Finally, the last of them spoke up; a short-framed boy with a shy smile. “I’m Taeil, it’s nice to meet you.”

Zico clapped her hands. “Now that introductions are done, let the fun begin!”

Everyone went quiet. Yura looked around. “Screw you guys, I’m gonna make myself some ramen.”

They all moaned for some too, spreading around the room as Zico went over and grabbed the TV remote, turning it on and letting himself lie back against the couch. The four named Minhyuk, Jaehyo, Taeil, and P.O went over and sat with him, moaning the moment he started to sing.

She went over to where Yura was, pushing up her glasses with her index finger as she sat down on the stool, watching from the corner of her eye as Kyung sat next to her. She tried not to look back. “Need any help?”

Yura grinned back at her, taking out a large pot. “Nah, it’s fine, you’re the guest of honor here, no work for you,” she turned her head towards Yukwon who was leaning against the fridge, giving him an amused smirk. “If you have time to lean, you have time to cook.” She poked his forehead with her cute chopsticks as he smiled at her, opening the fridge and taking out some things.

Tara had never felt more awkward. It was taking every fiber in her body to not turn and look into Kyung’s eyes who were firmly set on staring at her, instead focusing on whatever Yukwon and Yura were doing. Her friend frowned. “Yukwonnie, where are the eggs?”

“There were none that I saw...”

“Yura-yah, remembered we used them all when we made pancakes the other day!” P.O called out from the couch, waving the remote up in the air.

She looked up at Yukwon. “Did you guys buy any?”

He shook his head. “Do you want me to go buy some right now?”

She raised up her hands. “No, no, it’s fine!” Yura turned her head towards Tara, giving her a sly smile. “Tara-unnie will go.”

Yukwon scrunched his eyebrows together. “Does she know where the store is?”

“Kyung knows. You both can go right?” The dark-haired boy almost fell out of his chair, giving her a couple of nods as he turned towards Tara, who’s mouth hung slightly open, not sure how to respond.

“Great!” Yura took a roll of yellow bags from the counter, tossing them towards Kyung before walking over and opening the door. “I’ll pay you guys back, kamsahamnida!”

Before Tara could even object, Kyung had already stuffed the bags in his pocket, looping his arm with hers and dragging her off the chair and out the door, humming to himself in satisfaction.

Yukwon laughed, raking his hand through Yura’s hair. “You sure it’s a good idea? Your friend didn’t look comfortable with the idea.”

She shrugged as she walked over towards the couch. “She’ll thank me later.” Zico turned over towards her. “Now, who wants to get their asses kicked on Mario Kart?”

❀❀❀


“So, Tara-noona,” Kyung gave her a sheepish smile as he clicked the elevator button. “When’s your birthday? I’m not even sure if I’m using noona right since I don’t know your age.”

“August 7th, 1991,” she looked at him.

“Yah, I am!” He grinned. “Mine is July 8th, 1992. I’m your dongsaeng.”

Tara nodded, not knowing exactly how to add to the conversation. She had never been exactly versatile when it came to creating small talk, especially not with a boy. In the back of her mind she could recall awkward conversations dying short due to her lack of communication, and in each, a small piece of regret was left in her heart.

They stepped into the elevator, each of them positioning themselves on one side, their eyes downcast before Kyung gave a short laugh. “You’re kind of quiet huh?” She gave him an apologetic smile. “It’s okay,” he got closer to her, letting their shoulders bump. “I’ll make you talk.”

Tara licked her lips, her eyes set on her feet, her skin eerily aware of his eyes studying her up and down. She urgently needed him to stop. Her mouth open to speak. “H-how did you and Yura meet?”

The question was obvious, and she already knew the answer, but it was something he could at least ponder on, instead of her. The elevator doors opened, their feet quietly shuffling out into the empty hallway, Kyung smiling as he led the way. “Well, I think the first time I met her, she was crying.”

Tara’s smile grew. Typical. “Crying?”

“Downright sobbing.” He laughed. “Half of her body was inside a tall box, her hands reaching down, while we watched her sniffle herself into tears, her body turning as she started searching through another before she cussed in frustration. We weren’t sure what to do until Yukwonnie asked her what was wrong and if there was anything he could do to help.” He shook his head, turning into the main sidewalk. “Apparently she had lost her grandmother’s ring while she was unpacking stuff, the one that she wears in her middle finger,” he pointed at his own hand. “and she couldn’t find it. So we decided to help her out.”

“That was nice of you guys.”

He grinned the moment they stepped into the convenience store, greeting the elderly clerk back. “We’re nice guys.” They started walking aisles through aisles, their eyes scanning for the milk. “This is totally off topic, but I’m curious.” He glanced at her for a second, before looking away. “Had you ever heard of Block B before today?”

“Not at all,” she paused, before picking up a bag of chips and inspecting it. From the corner of her eyes she could tell his smile had broken into a sad frown. “But,” She smirked as she put the bag down. “Yura did show me one of songs today. “Halo”.” She picked up something that looked like beef jerky. “And I loved it.”

Kyung’s grin returned. “Yay~”

She laughed a bit. “Do you guys have a lot of fans?”

“We have enough to say we’re popular,” He raised up his chin. “And I’m more than glad to add you to the list.”

She nodded. “Sign me up for the ride.”

“You know, next week we’re going to be in a music show. Yura-yah is going, you should go with her.” He poked her shoulder, quickly clasping his hands together as he watched her bite her lip, one hand patting her temple.

“What day?”

“Thursday.”

She frowned. “I’m sorry... I think I’m busy that day.”

He scowled. “With what?!”

“You see, Yura-yah invited me to a music show and I’m not sure if it’s the same as yours,” She shrugged. “I don’t think I can make it since I swore on her grandmother’s grave I would go and cheer on one of her favorite bands... she even told me we were going to sit with some people called BBC’s?”

Kyung bumped his hip against hers, raising up his arms in the air. “Kamsahmanida, noona!”

It was strange. He made her feel so comfortable. With any other person the conversation would’ve died within the first few minutes but he was different. He kept it going and he kept her going too. He sure meant it when he said that he would keep her taking.

Anyway, where are the eggs?” He pointed towards the other side of the store, pulling her back before she could start walking.

He started looking through the drinks and opening another door. “Actually,” he picked up a couple other drinks, piling them up against his chest before she started helping him out, placing them against her own. “I think we didn’t buy enough drinks, plus Yura and Jaehyo like to get fancy with theirs, so we might as well buy more.”

“Fancy?”

He rolled his eyes. “Instead of just drinking beer or soju, they like to mix and match. Not gonna lie, they taste pretty delicious. Plus,” He winked at her. “you should try them out too.” He pointed towards the yogurt section. “Could you grab three little blue bottles.”

She opened it, being careful not to drop the cans she was holding. “Sure. What are they?”

“Yogurt.” She frowned as soon as she heard the word.

“Yogurt in a cocktail?”

“I know, I wore that face too when I first heard of them.” He licked his lips. “You have to try them out. They’re pretty good.”

She took them out, holding them close as they finally stepped away, walking over towards were the eggs were, picking up a carton and checking the expiration date before letting the items drop on the counter. Kyung took out the roll of bags, undoing them as he passed one towards Tara, who helped him out. The man spoke too quickly for Tara to understand as she watched him take out his wallet, handing him over his credit card.

Tara fiddled through her back pocket, searching for any kind of coins she could at least pay him with. “Sorry, Yura pushed me out the door too quickly before I could grab some money.”

He shook his head, taking the bags and thanking the cashier before walking out beside her. Her hand automatically pulled one of the bags up, before he shook it away. “Aniyo, I’ll carry them. Let me be the man I am.”

She pouted, letting it go as he laughed a bit.

“You’re very cute, did you know that?” She pressed the elevator button, not daring to look into his eyes. “Cute and shy. This is where I would ask you if you have a boyfriend, you know? Buuuut I won’t.”

They both stepped inside. She had to ask. “You won’t?”

“Aniyo.” He blew up his cheeks before letting out the air. “I’ll take it slow with you.”

She bit her bottom lip.

“Want me to tell you why?” He asked as soon as the doors open.

She quickly stepped out, speed-walking towards her apartment door. “Not really, but thanks for asking!”

Tara could hear laughter inside, the buzz of a crowd enjoying themselves surfing through the crack beneath the door as she knocked a couple of times, P.O being the one to answer the door, giving her a welcoming smile. “Hello there, pretty lady.”

“Yah, Jihoonnie, she’s mine.” Kyung called out, as he handed him one of the bags. Tara shook his head immediately, making the maknae chuckle as she slipped off her shoes, strutting over to the counter. The other boys were staring at the screen, yelling over and over as they raced against each other, Yura sitting on the floor and laughing as she covered Yukwon’s eyes.

She grinned as soon as she saw her, letting go of the redhead, standing up and quickly sifting through the bags, her face quickly dropping. “Do you... do you guys hate me or something?”

Tara frowned. “What? No, of course not. Why would you say that?”

The blonde took out the bottles, lying down down on the counter. “I mean, I appreciate you guys thinking cocktail ingredients and all, but... and my Milkis?” Her eyes grew big as she gave them a large puppy pout. Tara mentally slapped herself. They had forgotten the freakin’ Milkis when it was right there in front of their faces. She could even swear she glanced at it at least twice while she grabbed the blue bottles.

“Yah,” Kyung bowed. “Mianhae! I thought I had grabbed a bottle. Maybe the cashier forgot to put it in the bag?” He scowled, his hand reaching back. “Well, maybe this can make up for it.” He extended a white can towards her, her face lighting up, as she took it, giving him a hug.

“Kamsahamnida!” She grinned, popping the can open and taking a sip, letting out a happy sigh. “Heaven.”

Her head turned towards the boys who had paused the game, stretching out. “Yah, are you guys really hungry?” They all groaned in response, Yukwon standing up and strutting towards them while P.O took his spot. “Well then help me.”

“With? Isn’t Yukwonnie gonna help you?” Zico asked, raising his head.

She turned towards the fridge, carefully taking out some green bottles two by two, nicely placing them next to the rest of the drinks. “Make me some a happy lady. Mix me a cocktail while I cook.”
♠ ♠ ♠
❤ you.