Wonderland

3 February, 1867

Whenever I go out to the town, people stare at me as though there is something wrong with me. Which I know perfectly well there isn't.

Mother suggested I invest in a journal to keep all my thoughts and feelings in, as this world is one ruled by men that seem to have no regards for a woman's feelings. Father is okay, I guess, but he is my father, not one to talk to about all the things that so happen to bother me in my life!

They would all stare at me, as though I were one of those ladies of the night who sell their bodies for a living. I honestly do not see how somebody could live like that, it is utterly disgraceful. One scrawny looking gentleman, if he could be called that, walked up to me just today and asked if he could "have" me for the night. I said no, of course. Any self-honouring lady would know better than to give her body away to a man for his own pleasure.

When we arrived in town, I was told by mother we had just gone there for some shopping. I don't know how she thought we could afford it, as our pockets have been quite light lately. She later told me that she used to keep a journal to herself after her mother passed, as she was the only woman left living in her family, which also meant she had nobody to speak to at all. She told me that she doesn't want me ending up like her. I don't know how I would, I don't even have any emotions to write about here. I'm just a normal, growing lady, with absolutely nothing to talk about. Honestly, it makes me laugh just a little, since mother seems I do have something on my mind.

She wanted to see me using this journal, so I had to find something to write about and, as I do no have one word to utter to anybody, that was all I wished to write.

If ever I have a problem, I guess I shall write it down here. I don't see how that will even help.
Alice