‹ Prequel: The Beginning
Status: Active

The Promise

The Mirror of Erised

Trinity was a young girl yes, but she was a young girl that was haunted by the image of her mother dying. Her two sisters were lucky enough to be half asleep at the time, when their mother was murdered. That didn't go to say that they were not witness to it because they were. But even before Trinity witnessed the death of her and her sister's mother she had a very bad habit of not sleeping the whole night through. A lot of Gryffindors knew this and did not find it surprising at all when they would wake up in the middle of the night and see her staring into the fire like she always did.
No one knew why the fire calmed her. Not even the red head herself knew. She just knew that when she stared in to the fire she could see the life it radiated. Feel the fire warm and cool as it popped in the grate. It just so happened that Christmas night was another night that she could not sleep. So like usual she got up and sat in a chair by the fire. It was there she was sitting when Harry came bolting in and ran up the stairs to his dorm before coming back down with a sleepy Ron. "Where do you think you two are going?" Trinity asked as they went to go passed her. The two boys jumped and looked at her. "Trinity I found this mirror, come on you have to see it." Harry said grabbing her sleeve and pulling her and Ron along behind him.
The three carefully slipped underneath the invisibility cloak and followed as Harry excitedly led them. "Come on come look at this." Harry said taking off as soon as they got behind an old oak door. The other two ran right behind him wondering what had the boy so excited. "It’s my parents." Harry exclaimed running up and stopping in front of a mirror. The mirror was very tall and dirty. Inscribed in and arc above the glass was Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi. Trinity looked at in bewilderment. She had heard of many magical items and it sounded like this was one of them.
"I only see us." Ron said standing by Harry in front of the mirror. "Go and look in properly, go on and stand there." He told Ron backing out of the mirrors path and pulling Trinity with so she would do the same. "There you see them don't you?" Harry asked looking at Ron. "That's me, only I'm head boy and I'm holding the quidditch cup, and bloody hell I’m qudditch captain too." Ron exclaimed looking at the mirror. "Harry do you think this mirror shows the future?" Ron asked not taking his eyes off the mirror. "How could it? My parents are dead." Harry said sadly. Trinity hit Ron in the arm while looking at Harry.
Being used to the big sister role she pulled Harry into a hug. "Harry, listen to me." Trinity said looking at the raven haired boy. "Your parents may be dead but they will never be gone, and you know that if they could, they would be standing here by your side right now." Trinity said squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. "How about you Trinity what do you see?" Ron asked stepping out of the way and pushing Trinity into the path of the mirror. The boys watched as Trinity froze in her place staring at the mirror. It was like she had just been hit by the petrifying curse. "Well?" Ron asked snapping her out of her reverie.
"It's nothing important, or worth sharing." Trinity said solemnly with unshed tears shining in her eyes. The truth was that when she looked into the mirror she saw what she knew she did not have. She saw her father smiling proudly at her from where he sat on a cushioned chair. Trinity lived with her mother, her father, and her two sisters and they were happy. In this world there was no Lord Voldemort or Defense against the Dark Arts because this world was perfect. No fighting, not blood prejudices, just a world where everyone had the liberty to be whom they wanted to be. It was the one thing she desired more than anything. A place where everyone would be safe, even if it was cliché.
"Trin are you okay?" Harry asked looking at the red head. Trinity pulled herself from her trance and looked over to the two boys. "Yes Harry I am fine." Trinity said smiling sadly at the boy. "Now let's get back to bed before we get caught out and we really regret it." She said picking up the cloak and wrapping it around them again. It was very quiet as they walked back and once safe in the common room Trinity muttered a goodnight before heading up to bed. Even though she knew no sleep would come, she had to at least pretend she had not seen what she did tonight. For that world was nothing but a dream and a foolish desire.