‹ Prequel: The Beginning
Status: Active

The Promise

Dragons and Detentions

Later after they dropped off their books in the common room, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Lilah decided to go to see Hagrid. They made their way down the stairs and out the door to where the path to Hagrid's hut was. They then made their way down the dirt path to Hagrid's old stone hut that stood by the edge of the forest. The students then proceeded up the stairs and pounded on Hagrid's door to get him to open up. "Oh hello." The man said as he opened his door to see them. "Sorry don't mean to be rude, but I’m in no fit state to entertain today." Hagrid said closing the door in their faces. "We know about the soceror's stone." They said in unison causing the door to be quickly opened again.
Hagrid stared at them in bewilderment before mumbling a quiet oh and allowing them in. "We think Snape is trying to steal it." Harry said as he came in and pulled off his cloak. The others followed is example while Ron pulled the cabin door shut behind him. "Snape? Blimey you aren't still on about him are ya?" Hagrid asked stoking the already blazing fire. "Hagrid we know he's after the stone we just don't know why." Harry argued looking at the half giant. "Snape is one of the teachers protecting the stone, he's not about to steal it." Hagrid said looking at the two in front of him. "What?" Harry asked looking up at him. "You heard right now, come on I’m a little bit preoccupied." Hagrid said trying to get rid of them.
"Wait a minute one of the teachers?" Lilah said speaking up from her spot beside Hermione on Hagrid's chair. "Of course there are other things protecting the stone aren't there? Spells, enchantments?" Hermione asked looking up at Hagrid. "That's right, waste of bloody time if you ask me." Hagrid stated standing in front of the fire. "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy, Not a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore." Hagrid said proudly looking at them. "I shouldn't have told you that, should not have said that." Hagrid said right away afterward. They all then turned as they heard something coming from the cauldron that hung above the fire. Hagrid quickly turned around and pulled an object from the cauldron before laying it down carefully on the table.
"Uh Hagrid, what exactly is that?" Harry asked as they all gathered around the table. "That its a, its a" Hagrid stumbled. "I know what that is, but Hagrid, how'd you get one?" Ron asked looking up at the half-giant. "I won it, off a stranger I met down at the pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it as a matter of fact." Hagrid said looking down at the egg. They all started to back up slightly as the egg started to shake more pronouncedly on the table. All of a sudden the egg exploded in different directions and a wing burst from the egg. The wing was then followed by the rest of a baby dragon. They all stared in wonderment as it looked around the table at all of them.
"Is that a dragon?" Hermione asked looking at the creature on the table. "That's not just a dragon, that's a Norwegian ridgeback. My brother Charlie works with these in Romania." Ron explained looking at it. "Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid asked looking at him as he turned to face him. "Oh bless him he knows his mummy." Hagrid said reaching down to pet the little thing. "Hello Norbet." Hagrid said petting him along his neck. "Norbet?" Harry asked looking at Hagrid like he was crazy. "Yeah well he's got to have a name now doesn't he?" Lilah asked looking at the dragon like it was a cuddly kitten. Harry and Ron laughed slightly.
"Hello Norbert." Hagrid said again petting the dragon. This time though the dragon sneezed after Hagrid got done petting him, causing fire to fly out of its mouth and catch Hagrid's beard on fire. Hagrid quickly patted his beard to put it out while Lilah got some water and dumped it on his beard so it would go out. "Thank ya Lilah." Hagrid said looking at the small girl. "No problem Hagrid." Lilah replied putting the cup of water back down. "He'll have to be trained up a bit of course." Hagrid said afterward looking at the other three. Hagrid stopped all of a sudden staring out the window. "Who’s that?" He asked seeing someone looking in the window. The face quickly disappeared after they saw him. "Malfoy." Harry stated. "Oh dear." Hagrid said as the others quickly got their stuff together and went back to the castle.
"Hagrid always wanted a dragon." Harry said as they were walking up toward the Gryffindor common room. "He told me the first time I’d ever met him." Harry explained as they walked. "That's crazy and worse Malfoy knows." Ron stated. "I don't understand. Is that bad?" Harry asked looking at Ron while Ron stared straight ahead replying "It's bad." The other two followed his gaze and gasped when they saw professor Mcgonagall standing in the door way to a nearby room. "Good evening." She said while Draco came out from behind her smirking.
They were all then led to her classroom and stood waiting to hear what she had to say. "Nothing, I repeat nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night, therefore as punishment for your actions fifty points well be taken." Mcgonagall stated looking at them. "Fifty?" Harry asked. "Each." She finished. "And to ensure it doesn't happen again all five of you will receive detention." She stated. Draco who had been smirking the whole time suddenly sobered. "Excuse me professor perhaps I heard you wrong I thought you said the five of us." Draco said stepping up toward her. "No you heard me right Mister Malfoy, you see honorable as your intentions were you too were out of bed after hours. You will join your class mates in detention." Mcgonagall stated before allowing them to head back to their rooms to bed.