‹ Prequel: The Beginning
Status: Active

The Promise

The Final Step

They then proceeded to the next room. Inside were giant statues that looked like chess pieces. "I don't like this." Hermione stated as they walked further into the room. "Where are we? A graveyard?" Harry asked. "This is no graveyard." Ron said walking out to where the pieces were all placed. "It's a chess board." Ron stated looking at the figures. All of a sudden light filled the room as they all walked up and stood by Ron. "There's the door." Harry said pointing to the next door. They walked forward and were just reaching the pawns on the other side when the stones jumped to life and used their swords to block the path.
The four slowly backed up until they were once again in the middle of the field. "Now what to we do?" Hermione asked. "It's obvious isn't it?" Ron asked. "We have to play our way across the room." He stated. "Alright, Harry you take the empty bishop square. Hermione you'll be the queen side castle. Lilah you step off the board, I'll be the knight." Ron explained. The group then took their places. They all prepared themselves for whatever may come. "What happens now?" Hermione asked looking at Ron. "Well white moves first, and then we play." Ron said before turning and watching the other pieces.
The others followed suit and watched as one of the white pawns moved onto the floor. "Ron you don't suppose that this is going to be like actual, real wizards chess, do you?" Hermione asked. Ron looked to be thinking before pointing to one of the pawns. "You there d5." He commanded. The pawn moved into position and was promptly destroyed by the other piece. The shattered rock flying across the field. "Yes Hermione I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess." Ron said looking into the frightened faces of the others. The game raged on as pieces were destroyed on each side and the game progressed.
After a while Ron paused thinking of what to do next. "Wait a minute." Harry said looking at the field. "You understand right Harry? Once I make my move the queen will take me. Then your free to check the king." Ron explained. "NO.RON NO. " Harry exclaimed. "What is it?" Hermione asked. "He's going to sacrifice himself." Lilah said realization dawning on her."No you can't there must be another way." Hermione pleaded looking up at the red head. "Do you wanna stop Snape from getting that stone or what?" Ron asked before turning to Harry. "Once I'm gone you'll be free to check the king. It's you that needs to go on, I know it." Ron stated.
"Not me. Not Hermione. Not Lilah. YOU." Ron finished. Harry nodded looking up at his friend. Ron took a deep breath and tightened his hold on the reins before announcing his move. "Knight to h3." The knight slowly moved forward into position and stopped. "Check." Ron whispered watching as the queen slid towards him across the board. As soon as the queen stopped it pulled it sword out and stabbed the knight in the side causing the rock to explode and Ron to go flying unconscious to the ground. "RON!" Harry yelled. Hermione and Lilah moved as if to go to him but were stopped by Harry. "No don't move. Don't forget were still playing." Harry said.
The two girls nodded and stayed where they were. Harry then made his move walking diagonally across the board. The two girls eyes kept flicking between Harry and Ron as everything slowly moved. "Check Mate." Harry exclaimed looking at the king. The sword in the kings hand fell to the ground with a loud clatter. The three than ran over to where Ron lay on the floor. "Take care of Ron. Once your safe go to the owlry and send a letter to Dumbledore, Trinity and Bree should be coming soon enough." Harry stated. "Ron's right I have to be the one to go on." Harry said. "I'm coming with you Harry." Lilah said immediately. Harry looked like he was going to protest then stopped and nodded slowly.
"You'll be okay Harry, you're a great wizard you really are." Hermione said. "Not as good as you." Harry said looking at her. "Me, books and cleverness, there are more important things. Friendship and Bravery. And Harry, Lilah be careful. You should be good with Lilah there with you too." Hermione said looking at Harry and Lilah. Harry and Lilah then stood up and walked over to the door so that they could go on. They cast one last look back to Ron and Hermione before opening the door and going into the next room.
They then came to the next room. "This must be the last one before the final room." Lilah said looking at the seven viles lined up. There was a piece of parchment setting on the table by the viles with a curly script on it. Lilah picked it up and opened up to see what was on it. “It’s a riddle.” Lilah said looking at the context of the paper. “It says
Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,
Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,
One among us seven will let you move ahead,
Another will transport the drinker back instead,
Two among our number hold only nettle wine,
Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line.
Choose, unless you wish to stay here forevermore,
To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four:
First, however slyly the poison tries to hide
You will always find some on nettle wine's left side;
Second, different are those who stand at either end,
But if you would move onward, neither is your friend;
Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,
Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;
Fourth, the second left and the second on the right
Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight."
“So what do we have to do?” Harry asked looking at the viles. “Nothing the riddle is useless because we already know which one it is.” Lilah answered walking up to the table. “How?” Harry asked. “Because it’s the one that is smallest and has had a sip taken out of it already due to whoever being through here first.” Lilah said as if it was the simplest thing in the world. She picked up one of the viles and held it up for Harry to see. “There’s only enough for one person.” Lilah said handing it to Harry. “So go through and stop them Harry.” Lilah said looking at him.
“You might want to wipe off the top of that before you drink it though.” Lilah said as Harry went to drink it. “Your right, I don’t want Snape slobber on me.” Harry said with a small laugh. “Harry before you go on, just be careful and I’ll see you when you come back after saving us.” Lilah said with a smile. Harry then drank the potion in one gulp and gagged a little bit as he swallowed. Lilah looked at him for a moment before hugging him tightly and then watching as he turned and entered into the next room. After he was gone from sight she turned and walked out of the room and hurried back to where Ron and Hermione would be.