Wish the Cold Away

One

Crisp, summer air nipped at her nose as she lead her entourage through the East Gate of Winterfell. She sat high in the saddle on her gray mount, her blond hair blowing through the wind. Riding up to the castle Lord Eddard Stark met her with a giant smile on his usually grim face.
“Cassana. We've been expecting you. The hospitality of Winterfell is yours.” Ned extended a gloved hand to help her off the horse, to which she gratefully accepted. “It's been a hard ride, wolves and mountain cats around every corner. I am grateful the herd you have requested made it through. And thank you for the hospitality of your home, Lord Stark.”
“Call me Ned, you know better.” His radiant smile warmed her heart. Ned wrapped his arm around her shoulder and led her into The Great Hall. “You'll have to see Cat, she's be waiting for your arrival since we received the letter.” Ned was still smiling, his arm tight around her.
“I've missed her.” Ned saw her face fall, he pressed his lips to her head.
“This is a joyous time, do not mourn my darling.”

Ned led her up an intense flight of stairs and into a warm, well lit room. Catelyn sat in an overstuffed chair reading a book.
“Cassana! My darling how you've grown! The boys won't even recognize you. You have become quite the beautiful young woman!” Catelyn rushed to hug her.
“Thank you.” She whispered into Catelyn's hair.
“I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My prayers are with you.” Catelyn ran her hand over Cassana cheeks to dry the tears.
“She died a noble woman. When father has passed I will be honored to become the next lady of Toras.”
“I am happy it will be you. The realm needs the strong horses your city supplies.” Ned added, putting his hand on the back of her neck. Cassana blushed at his comment, and bowed her head.

Catelyn had shown her to her room, so she could freshen up for the feast. Cassana looked in the mirror. She didn't like what she saw. A girl of nineteen, barely grown and already fated to become a Great Horse Woman of Toras. Not doubt she loved her land, but this was not what she wanted. At least not at this time. Unpinning her hair, she let it fall until it reached the middle of her back. She shed her fur overcoat and stared at the green dress Catelyn had left for her. Cassana knew what Catelyn was up to. Robb was of age and Catelyn would love nothing more than for the two to wed. She hadn't seen Robb or Jon since they were all small, when her mother had brought her to visit the Stark's land. Robb had roughhoused with her and shoved her face in the mud, while Jon was always willing to play King and Queen with her. He would even kiss her. Not that she'd told anyone. That was their little secret.

A quiet knock at the door, brought her back. Cassana's long pale fingers turned the doorknob, to reveal Jon Snow on the other side of the door. He still looked much the same, only more handsome. Black stubble lined his strong jaw, and his hair was longer and curlier than she remembered.
“Jon...” She whispered into a smile. He flashed her a wide grin, and picked her up around the waist, spinning her around. Cassana giggled as he sat her back on her feet.
“I've missed you.” He mouthed his voice husky, his forehead touching her's. Their lips were seconds apart when they heard someone approaching. Jon tore away from her as if she were on fire. Robb reached the doorway and his jaw dropped.
“Seven hells. You've grown.” He laughed heartily, snatching Cassana up into a hug.
“So have you. Look at that hair!” She ran her finger over his facial hair, and looked into his Tully blue eyes. “Both of you are quite handsome.” Cassana teased, walking over to her discarded coat. She pulled it around her shoulders, “Shall we?” She took one of each of their arms, in her own and made her way to the Great Hall.

“Have you thought of taking a husband?” Catelyn bluntly asked. Cassana who was sitting next to her, practically choked on the gulp of wine she'd taken.
“Cat! She only just arrived, and you've already started badgering her about marriage.” Ned remarked peering around Catelyn so he could see Cassana, “Leave the girl alone.”
“I was only curious Ned, she is practically my daughter.” She turned to Ned, her eyebrow cocked. Ned looked away shaking his head playfully, and Catelyn turned back to her. “Your mother, rest her soul, was one of the most noble women I've ever known. I envied her. She was a strong leader, capable as any man.” She whispered the last bit, a sly smile playing on her lips. Cassana smiled at her, then looked out onto the feast.
The room was warm and filled with laughter and happiness. Sitting just down the table from her were Robb and Jon. They were laughing with some of the guardsmen. Heat radiated in her chest as she watched them. She loved them both. In very different ways.
“Would you like to take a walk?” Cassana looked to her side. Jon had escaped her view and was smiling down at her.
“Yes. Catelyn may I-,” She looked over to Catelyn who's face she'd always seen filled with joyousness was now turned to stone. It was no secret the she despised Ned's bastard son. But this coldness surprised Cassana. “May I be excused, Lady Stark?” Cassana asked.
“You may.” Catelyn said never looking their way. Cassana was taken aback, but rose and took Jon's hand.

“Is she always like that?” Cassana asked once they'd gotten outside. Jon stopped and looked at her.
“She hates me.” He took a step closer, closing the gap between them. “Do you hate me?” He whispered against her lips.
“Never.” They kissed. His lips were gentle against hers, his tongue probing them softly. She grabbed the hair at the nape of his neck and pulled. His hand spread over her side, sliding up to her neck, tilting her head back. Slowly he pulled away and looked down at her.
“Are you still my Queen?” His lips curled upward, a goofy grin spread across his face.
“Always and forever Jon Snow. Always and forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not a one-shot! I promise.