Status: Completed. :)

Dear John

when the sky goes blue

John kept his head down as everyone continued to walk down the sidewalk in the Arizona heat. Kennedy and Tori looked as if they were connected at the hip, Jared making conversation with Pat while Garrett, Vienna, and John stayed quiet as they followed behind.

Tori continued to look around, a smile on Kennedy's face as he kept pecking a kiss on her lips whenever she looked at him. Vienna was glad she wasn't the third wheel when everyone wanted to go out. She hated watching her two best friends suck their faces off while she strayed away or kept her attention off the two. It was just plain awkward.

Tori quickly stopped her pace suddenly, causing Pat to bump into her and let out a sigh. Vienna smiled at his clumsy behavior before everyone shifted their attention towards the red haired girl.

"What is it, babe?" Kennedy asked, his voice a little raspy from the amount of drinks he had and the lack of sleep. Vienna rolled her eyes as she pointed towards a beach, a wide smile on her face. That was when she quickly ran into the sand, stripping down into her bra and underwear.

Everyone quickly looked away, as if Kennedy would punch them in the face if they looked. But they were both drunk, so what kind of damage could it do?

Soon after, everyone agreed to go in the water. Vienna had stayed in only her tank top and shorts. She went as far into the water until it came up to her shorts until Pat had tackled her into the water.

Vienna soon came back up for air, dunking Pat into the water with a smile on her face.

This was where John stayed behind. What was the point in going out? He didn't even have as much fun as everyone else did. He just watched the numerous guys walk up to Vienna, offering her drinks as she kindly turned them down. He rolled his eyes at the thought before running a hand through his hair.

Once he looked over after sitting in the sand, he found Vienna lying on the sand with her hands on her stomach. She was about a yard away from him, looking up into the dark blue sky where the stars shined.

He slowly crawled over to her and laid down next to her, hoping she wouldn't just scoff or groan in disapproval and move away. But, she didn't. She laid there, looking up at the stars. She didn't even acknowledge his presence. But, then again, he didn't blame her, after all that had happened.

"It's.. kind of comforting," she said softly, closing her eyes as John nodded his head slowly as if she could see it. She raised an eyebrow, waiting for a response before he quickly cleared his throat.

"It is."

The sound of laughter; The sound of the waves; The sound of constant splashes from the people in it and the moon and stars reflecting off of the dark blue water. That's when he thought of it, the song they normally would never bring up again. But, it seemed like a perfect time now.

"You know what it reminds me of?"

"Hm?" she said, opening her eyes slowly as she looked into his green eyes. A small smile formed on his face as he looked at her before looking away and back up to the stars.

"When The Stars Go Blue."

Vienna sucked in a breath and tightly shut her eyes before nodding. She remembered the memory now that he had mentioned it. She remembered a whole lot, but somehow, that memory was lost in the bad.

John and Vienna walked down the car-less street with smiles on their faces. The conversation they were having was of his time on tour. It had been the first time he addressed her about it face to face, besides over the phone.

Once they were finally silent and the laughter subsided, John wrapped his arm around her shoulder and kissed her temple. Vienna grabbed onto his hand, intertwining their fingers together as they walked.

It was one in the morning, and Vienna had left the house without permission, her first time disobeying her only parent she had at the moment. Her free arm slowly wrapped around him, her head rested on his shoulder. She wanted to stop smiling, but she just couldn't. And the more she smiled, the more her cheeks hurt.

John suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked around, Vienna knitting her eyebrows together as she watched her boyfriend of two months walk around as if in a hurry to find something.

"You hear that?" he asked, his girlfriend raising an eyebrow at the question he had just asked her. He had good hearing, and she was surprised. With the way he partied and sang at concerts and were at them half of his life, she was surprised he hadn't gone deaf yet.

As they got closer to the sound, John leading the way, he smiled. He slowly turned his body towards her.

It was a song coming out of a bar from a jukebox, she assumed. She rolled her eyes and smiled at how triumphant he looked before he pulled her in and wrapped his arms around her waist.

She slowly wrapped her arms around his neck as their body swayed slowly back and forth to the smooth melody, his arms tightly wrapped around her as his chin rested on her shoulder. John was singing softly into her ear, the smile on her face only growing wider as she held him.

"Laughing with your pretty mouth;
Laughing with your broken eyes;
Laughing with your lover's tongue,
In a lullaby."


John slowly stopped singing in her ear and pulled away enough to look at her. His lips softly pressed against hers, Vienna returning the kiss as her placed her hands on his neck. She loved his lips. How soft they felt; how thin they seemed; All of it.


"..Vienna! Are you okay?" the faint voice called loudly, everyone looking over her with their heads joined in a circle. She looked up at everyone, her vision easier to see as she blinked a couple of times.

"I'm fine.." she answered softly, biting on her lower lip as she looked up at them.

She only hoped that it was true.
♠ ♠ ♠
When The Stars Go Blue / Ryan Adams




I'm not a big fan of this chapter... I don't know, maybe it's just me. Heh, comment and subscribe, please.

Thanks for commenting,
MorganLovesHalvo

No need to be a silent reader!