A Moonlit ***

A Visit With Mr. Rubank

"The report doesn't say anything about him being prone to violence right?"
"Nada. It says that he was sent into rehab for some kind of drug use though."
"Hmmmmm . . . is this it?"
"I believe so."
"Mr. Rubank! Open up. This is the Detective David Smith and Kathy Longmire with the Miami Crime Lab."
Minutes pass and still no one answers the door. Then the two detectives hear a loud crash and someone's blood curdling scream.
"Mr. Rubank?"
"Kick the door down and hurry. He's our only suspect."
When Dave and Kathy are finally able enough to get into the house Mr. Rubank has a gun pointed to his head, like he's holding himself hostage.
"I swear, if you two cock suckers don't get out of my house I'll blow my brains all over this fucking shit hole!"
"Mr. Rubank. We're not here to arrest you. We just want to talk."
"About what? Jaime Abhrams? You're too late."
"What do you mean, 'too late'?"
"She's probably already half way to Chicago already."
"Alright then. Where's Christina Dransfeld?"
"Why don't you look into her file, she's dead."
"No, she's not."
"Oh really? Then where is she?"
"We have reason to believe you, Mr. Rubank, helped Christina fake her own death."
"Nice try. I have no fucking idea where that little bitch is."
"You don't seem too fond of Miss. Dransfeld. How come?"
"You want to know why I don't or I'm sorry, past tense, I didn't like Christina?"
"Yes. I would like to know."
"Alright. That little lying son of a bitch told everyone in that fucked up town that I raped her. I didn't rape her. I would never lay a finger on Christina. I had known her since she was born. So one day she came into my store ranting and raving about. .. . "

*Flash back*

"You lying piece of shit! How could you do that to me?"
"I'm sorry?"
"You know damn well what you did to me."
"Christina, calm down an-"
"Don't tell me to calm down. You know what you did to me and then you lied about it?"
"Christina, please. You're acting like a child. What did I do to you?"
"You raped me you sick bastard!"
"Christina, I have never layed a hand on you and have always been there for you and you stab me in the back with the bogus story?"
"I know what you did to me and you know what you did to me and I hope you rot in hell for all that I care!"

*End of flash back*

"I see. Because you two were so close before this incident did Christina ever ask you for help in faking her own death?"
"She did but I turned her down because the first person that her family would turn to for help if I did was me."
"Alright. You see Mr. Rubank, you're lying."
"I am,am I. How so?"
"When you told me that you turned her down in helping with her death you broke eye contact and got shaky."
"So."
"So tell me the truth or I will blow your brains all over this shit hole."
"Alright, alright. I told her that I'd help, but it would cost her. . ."

*Flash back*

"Mr. Rubank, I know that you can help with faking deaths and I need to die."
"Why Christina? Think about what you'd be throwing away if you died."
"I don't care. I need to die. I want to start over."
"Fine. But it's going to cost you."
"How much?"
"Not how much but what?"
"I'm sorry?"
"You sleep with me and I'll help you fake your own death."
"Fine. Whatever it takes."

*End of flash back*

"Then about a month later after I had gotten all the paperwork I told her that it might not be such a hot idea after all. She flipped and then about a week later was when she showed up in my store raising hell."
"Did she know any of your buddies that you worked with?"
"Yeah. Come to think of it she did. Dale, Dale Barnes."
"Kathy please look up Dale Barnes and get all the information on him as you can."
"I'll get right on it."
"Thank you. You Mr. Rubank are coming with me."
"Why? I helped you and now you're going to arrest me?"
"No. I have to take you to make sure that you're safe."
At that instant right before Dtective Smith hand-cuffed Mr. Rubank, he shot himself in the head. Not Detective Smith, Mr. Rubank.
"Dave are you oka-"
"Well at least he kept his promise. Kathy get me a towel will you?"
"I uh, am. . .am on it."