A Moonlit ***

The Search for Dale Barnes

"So much for trying to keep him safe."
"Yeah, no lie. What needed to keep him safe from was himself."
"You could say that again."
"Kathy, did you ever find our Dale Barnes?"
"Yes, I did. It has an address -"
"But what?"
"He lives in South Carolina."
"Well then, Kathy, we're going on a little trip."
"Dave, we can't arrest him. We can get a supena, and put out a warrant for his arrest but once we get to South Carolina we won't be able enough to arrest him."
"Well then, what are we waiting for?"
"Eric, hi, tell Ms. Dransfeld that her daughter's alive, nothing more just that she's alive."
"Alright."
"Thanks."

"I still don't see how this is going to help the investigation. "
"Kathy, just wait."
"Why? We can't arrest him an-"
"I have already got the warrant for his arrest."
"Oh, alright."
"You see Kathy, you just need to have more faith."
"Yeah, words of wisdom come later."

"If we're just going to question him why do we need a warrant for his arrest?"
"Just in case he siezes to cooperate."
"Uh-hum, I see."

After their small talk the detectives casually walked up to the door as to which was hopefully Dale Barnes' front door, and knocked, very loudly.

"Who is it?"
"Detective Dave Smith and Kathy Longmire. Please open up."
"Why? Why should I let you in?"
"We need to talk to you about Christina Dransfeld."
Almost an instant after the detective mentioned the name Dale opened the door.
"What do you wanna know?"
"Well, let us in and we'll tell you."
"Fine."
Dale let the detectives into his home and before he closed the door he sheepishly stuck his head out and looked around curiously. Then he hastily shut the door.
"So, what about Christina Dransfeld you wanna know?"
"We want to know if you helped her fake her own death."
"Yeah, so what if I did?"
"We would like to know where she is a-."
"Honey! Who is it?"
"It's no one Stacey."
"Oh, hello."
"Hi ma'am. Are you Mr. Barnes' wife?"
"Yes, yes I am. How can we help you detectives?"
"Well first things first, Mrs. Barnes, do you know anybody of the name Christina Dransfeld?"
"Hmmmm . . . the name is so familiar but I don't recall it."
"Alright, thank you ma'am. If you'll excuse us, we need to talk to your husband alone."
"No problem."
"You brainwashed her?"
"Kathy."
"i'm sorry."
"Keep your voice down. I don't want her to hear us."
"But you did, didn't you?"
"Yes."
"How?"
"She got into a car accident and was diagnosed with amnesia. Her picture was on the television asking for her family to come and take her. So I came everyday for a week and told her who she was and her whole life story."
"Her mother didn't see?"
"Her mother doesn't watch alot of television."
"Okay? Is the amnesia reversable?"
"I'd guess so."
"Then Kathy, go and get Miss. Dransfeld and you, you Mr. Barnes are coming with me."
"No, please don't take her away from me. She's the best thing that ever happened to me. Please."
"You want Christina Dransfeld but have Stacey Fields, how is that the best thing?"
"It is Christina, just with another name."
"Short answer, no. Dale Barnes, you are under arrest for forgery, conspiracy of muder and kidnapping. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law in your trial. You also have the right to an attorney. If you do not have one, one will be provided for you by the district."
"Where are we going?"
"You're going home Christina."
"But Ms. Kathy, I am home, and my name's Stacey."
"No, you'r name is Christina Dransfeld. Your father was mudered when you were about nineteen and your mother's name is Janice Dransfeld."
"Alright then?"