It Gets Better (Gerard Way)

It Gets Better

The room was dark, but didn't hold that eerie feeling that most rooms hold. It was, however, extremely cold and that I couldn't deal with. I began to walk, groping around for a light switch that seemed nonexistent. I sighed, reached my hands out to touch a wall and slipped down onto the floor.
I closed my eyes, hoping sleep would find me and take me away but nothing of the sort happened. Suddenly, there was a blaring noise and the lights came on. I jumped up and spun around quickly. A blur of black caught my eye and I stopped. It was a man, in his mid 20's, in the fetal position, sobbing.
I walked up to the guy and put my hand on his shoulder. He pushed it away and looked up. What I saw made me gasp and back up as far as possible.
He had long, greasy black hair with red, puffy eyes and a pale complexion. He looked obviously depressed, and possibly high. But that wasn't the weirdest of it all. I was looking at a younger me.
"W-who are you?" Younger Me hiccuped.
"I'm...you," It came out more than a question.
"That's not true, everybody knows I'm gonna end up killing myself,"
"No, I'm you. You...we're Gerard Arthur Way, older brother of Mikey Way," I explained.
He stood. "How do you know that?"
"I'm you!" I tried convincing him.
"A-are you really? But you seem so...so happy," He squinted at me.
"I am. What year do you think this is?"
"2004,"
"Try 2011,"
"That's not possible. I'm-I'm in Tokyo right now with my band, My Chemical..."
"Romance, I know. I'm you, I promise,"
"O-okay," He whimpered and clutched at his head. "Ow!" He hissed.
"What's wrong? I pulled him to the wall and helped him sit again.
"Killer headache. I think I drank too much again,"
"It's gonna get better, you know,"
Younger Me scoffed. "Yeah right. I'm just an alcoholic fuck up. I'm gonna end up dead and this band is gonna go nowhere,"
"No. Wanna know something?"
"What?"
"I'm 34 right now. Our band is better than ever. Matt's gone, but Frank, Mikey, and Ray are still with us. We're all married, even me. Frank has twin girls and I have one girl. Her name is Bandit. Her and my wife Lyn-Z Way are the best things to ever happen to me. I've been clean for 7 years as of August 11. We're all happy,"
His eyes lit up and got extremely huge, full of hope. "Really?!"
I laughed. "Really,"
"Wow. So...so I get better? I stop drinking and taking pills?"
"Yup, you'll be clean and sober in no time, kid. I promise,"
"Good. Because I can't stand this anymore. I wanna get better, but I don't know how..."
"Talk to Mikey and Ray and Frank. I promise, they'll help you,"
"I know they will, it's just...so embarrassing with all the things I've said and done and..."
"Hey, hey, hey," I whispered as he began to cry again. I pulled him to me. "It's okay, they'll be so proud of you for admitting you have a problem and trying to get help. I swear, they won't judge you," He hiccuped.
"You swear?"
"I swear,"
He pulled away and wiped his nose on his sleeve. "C-can you tell me about this Lyn-z girl I'm gonna marry?" He whispered.
I laughed and nodded. "She's beautiful, I'll give you that. Everything you ever though about marriage will disappear once you meet her,"
He smiled. "And Bandit?"
"You'll love her more than anything, and she'll never cease to amuse you. She's amazing,"
"I'm...kinda excited for that,"
"You still have a long ways to go, I'm afraid,"
"Yeah, I know. But I'm gonna get help, right now,"
"Good boy,"
Younger Me got up off the floor and I stood with him. He hugged me for a long time and I hugged back.
"You'll be fine," I whispered.
"I know that now,"
He pulled away. I ruffled his hair and he walked out the door into a blinding light.
"Thank you,"
"You're welcome," I answered.
He walked away and right before he disappeared, he turned and waved, and then he was gone.