Thrill of the Fall

Now that you can't have me, you suddenly want me.

It was relatively early in the morning in Foxborough, Massachusetts when Cameron dragged himself to Tay and Ivy’s room where he found most of his band mates, with the exception of their fearless tour manager. It had been just over a week since they had left Poughkeepsie and Ivy had blended into the tour family effortlessly, she had almost everyone on the tour wrapped around her little finger, her innocent charm and kindness enchanting every person she had met and making them love her. Cameron had never been this intrigued or fascinated by any one person in his entire life.

“Where’s Ivy?” he questioned with a yawn as he looked around at the hotel room which seemed to contain every person on tour except for their tour manager, everyone in the room seemed to be engrossed in something they had found on the small television in the hotel room. A handful of the people pointed towards the small balcony outside the room, and sure enough, there she was, dressed in plain skinny jeans and a black blazer rolled up to her elbows with her glasses perched on her nose as she paced back and forth, clearly in an intense argument.

Cameron slowly made his way across to the small terrace, carefully stepping over bodies as he went on his way, earning the colourful protests of his tour mates as his body blacked their vision of the television oh so rudely. He gently opened the sliding glass door and stepped out onto the balcony, coming in during what appeared to be a very frustrating and heated argument over the phone between Ivy and whoever she was arguing with, he knew it probably wasn’t the best to be coming in when he could hear the conversation but he was far too curious.

“So what, you couldn’t a shit when I was living three doors down from you, but now that I’m actually happy and travelling the country, you’ve decided that all of a sudden you need me in your life after four years of ignoring me? No, you know what, Eric? Fuck you! I don’t care if you need me more than anything because when I needed you that bad; you were too busy fucking Maddie – don’t call me again, I’m working, goodbye.” She hissed at this so-called ‘Eric’ person, before slamming her phone shut and covering her face with her hands.

“Sorry that you had to hear that, Cameron, but I wasn’t exactly intending on having that conversation, ever.” She muttered as she lifted her face to look at him, a weary frown on her face. She was more brilliant than even he had thought; he had been so sure that she was so engrossed in her argument that she couldn’t possibly know that he had entered the balcony. However, it had become apparent that she had been aware of his presence from the moment the glass door opened; nobody else would have dared to come outside during such an argument.

“Do you want to talk about it? We don’t have to do it right here and now, we could take a walk, get something to eat and then you could explain it to me, I’m no doctor, but I doubt that shit’s healthy for you, Ives.” He offered a small grin on his face as he waited for her answer. He was desperate to know something about her, apart from the fact that her and Jordan bickered too much and that she had worked in London, he wanted for her to open up to him like she hadn’t done before.

“That actually sounds so amazing right now, you’re buying though” she agreed before accepting his outstretched hand and letting him lead her back through the room, bidding goodbye to their friends who shot them suggestive looks as they left, making Ivy blush darkly. The two ventured downtown, Cameron swearing that he knew the perfect place to go, as their hands between them bumping frequently, before they finally came to a stop outside a small diner called Daisy’s. The place was warm inside and had a homey feel to it, Daisy, the owner greeted them at led them to a booth.

She poured them both some coffee before bustling away and leaving them to glance over the menu’s, tending to her other customers. Daisy was a older woman, probably in her fifties or sixties, with short blonde hair and a bubbly attitude that reminded Ivy of Bella, whom she had become incredibly close with along with Tay who was beginning to replace Jordan as her confidante, though no one would ever be able to replace the annoying boy wonder fully in her heart. He had been there so long that her life would be empty without his irritating yet lovable presence.

“So, who’s Eric, Ivy?” Cameron asked curiously as he leaned forward on his elbows, peering at her inquisitively while calmly waiting for her to begin her explanation. He was trying not to make assumptions about the person who had distressed her so but it was becoming increasingly more difficult not to, Ivy wasn’t one to curse freely, Jordan had divulged to the band, so the fact that she had cursed a handful of times in the small part of the argument that Cameron had heard, meant that this fellow had angered her in an intense and unacceptable sort of way.

“Eric was my neighbour when I was younger, and out of all the people in the world, he’s probably the one person who hurt me the most. We met when I was thirteen, and hit it off immediately, we were the best of friends and I thought he was the most wonderful person in the world but I was wrong. Right after my sixteenth birthday, he began ignoring me without any explanation and avoided my attempts to talk at all costs, he caught me off-guard this morning, saying that he needed me” she rushed out before concentrating on the menu.

“Does Jordan know about him?” Cameron asked curiously, Ivy and Jordan were closer than any other best friends that Cameron had ever seen; they looked after each other and bickered like brother and sister, while thinking the world of each other at the same time. Jordan was the one who was protectively glaring at the tech’s who would leer at Ivy creepily, and Ivy was the one who was acting as Jordan’s crutch when he was absolutely blind and coming back from some bar or another. Cameron couldn’t picture Jordan being thrilled about Eric hurting Ivy the way he did.

“Know about him? Jordan almost put him in the hospital a couple of years ago, but he doesn’t know about the phone call this morning, he tends be a bit overprotective when it comes to Eric and I, and I prefer to let him be ignorant to it all, rather than working him up over something that means nothing” she explained to him, her eyes glinting in amusement and thought as she both remember the circumstance when Jordan had almost gotten arrested for punching Eric in the face seven times in a row when Eric accused them of sleeping together.

“I cannot imagine Jordan almost putting someone in the hospital” Cameron grinned, smiling thoughtfully as he looked over the table at Ivy. She looked absolutely beautiful today, she looked beautiful every day, but today, today she looked perfect. Her hair was thrown up in a ponytail, and her cheeks were windblown from the walk over here from the hotel, there was a smile spread across her face and she was blushing under Cameron’s gaze. There was something about him that kept Ivy so off balance, she was constantly blushing and feeling nervous around him, and she liked it a lot.

No one had ever made her feel this nervous and excited and special and different, all at the same time, and there was no way in hell she would ever mention this to anyone other than Tay, who had worked it out of her last night after she had ingested more than half a bottle of whiskey and a dozen shots of tequila. Tay, of course, found it as adorable as a deeply inebriated person could, and insisted that she tell Cameron that very second and was almost to the door by the time Ivy tackled her with a pillow.

[&&&]

By the time Cameron and Ivy made it back to the hotel, it was almost three and the bands were due over at the venue for tonight. From the moment Ivy walked into the hotel room and saw that the collection of musician’s were in the exact same position they had been when she had left with Cameron four hours ago, she immediately snapped into tour manager mode. She began ordering her band around and fussing around with her blackberry as she avoided the questioning gazes that had fallen on her and Cameron when they had walked back inside.

The guys gradually dispersed from the room, travelling back to their own room from Ivy and Tay’s. The young tour manager became very interested in her blackberry, her green painted nails becoming insanely fascinating to her at that particular moment in time as she avoided the gaze of Cameron and Tay. She was doing the only thing she knew how to do, she was ignoring the problem in the vain hope that if she pretended it didn’t exist, then it would just magically disappear and she wouldn’t have to deal with it and actually put her feelings on the line.

With one last glance at the clearly uncomfortable tour manager, Cameron left the room, only to be accosted by Jordan. “It was him, wasn’t it? That fucking asshole who I should’ve put in hospital when I had the chance. I’m gonna fucking kill him for making her upset again, I told him to stay away from her for good!” he seethed, balling his hands into fists. Cameron was in shock, never in his life had he seen Jordan this angry about something; Mike, sure, he had even seen Tay pissed before, but Jordan was the mellow, easy-going one of them.

Cameron was quickly learning that Ivy was the sort of girl who everyone loved, and if you hurt her, then you were pretty much fucked. He didn’t want to be the one to hurt though, if nothing else, the past few hours had taught him that he wanted to be the one to protect her from all the evil shit in the world, she was so beautiful and innocent and special, she deserved someone who would be everything for her, he could be that and he knew exactly the two people who would be able to help him get there.