Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 9

I was crouched on top of the high wall, staring down with my large dark eyes. I was in my nightdress once again, which was mended long ago, and quietly observing Leroy as he worked. This was normal, our silent company, but the rage emitting from him wasn't. He was angrier than normal.

I wanted to ask him but I refrained. If he wanted to talk about it he would've done so by now. All the same I worried. The cut on his cheek wasn't helping either.

I clutched White's empty body to my face and closed my eyes. White told me not to concern myself over his family life. I was beginning to feel responsible for him and I had to distance myself. It was only a matter of days before my father called me back and I should only think about introducing him to the Old World. It was hard though. I knew there was something wrong and I wanted to help him. It wasn't easy trying to follow his words.

I opened my eyes when Leroy called to me.

"How does it look?" He asked.

I glanced down at the numerous bright flowers Leroy had planted. To others it probably didn't make much difference but they glowed to me. Their colours shined and it reminded me of home.

"It looks wonderful." I replied honestly.

"It will take a while before I manage to get this place in order."

"I am just happy someone is doing it."

He glanced up at me. "Why don't you? You live here."

I blinked slowly. "I am residing here temporarily. In the next couple of days I am expecting to be called home."

He frowned slowly as the news sunk in. "You're going home?"

I shrugged my shoulders lightly. "Yes. My father sent me here for safety. Once the threat is gone, I'll go back home."

"Threat? You're in danger? Against what?" He demanded.

My eyebrows raised a little. I was surprised at his sudden anger.

"Nothing you can help me with. Even my father is struggling to guard me."

This didn't sit well with him. The smile that, for a brief moment, claimed his face was wiped away completely and replaced with a hot glare.

"I can help you."

"You'll just get yourself killed if you tried."

He pressed his lips together hard. "Tell me how you're in danger?" He pressed.

I was bewildered by his growing anger and eagerness to take care of me. There was nothing he could do to help me and I knew he knew that. But still he persisted.

"Not unless you tell me what happens when you're home." I blurted out before I could stop myself.

Leroy fell silent and instantly I knew I pressed a button I shouldn't have. His anger skyrocketed.

"That's not something you can bargain with."

"Then I will keep my story to myself."

He scowled at me. Sharply he stood and ripped the gloves from his hand. "I'll go home for tonight."

I didn't respond, just silently stood on the wall and watched as he marched out of the gardens. I didn't run after him. While I said something I shouldn't have, I felt no guilt to making him mad. It was his family life that was causing his rage, not me.

I sighed a little then made my way to the ancient grey pillar before clambering to the top. I could see the grounds from up here, all of it. Already it was looking better in some areas where Leroy had been working. The gardens made him happy and I wanted him to continue after I had gone. I liked seeing him content. It gave him a completely different air, something less unapproachable, when he was happy.

I sighed again and nuzzled White's head.

"White, I can't leave Leroy as he is. I know you told me not to get involved but I feel I must. Leroy is sad and I want to know if I can help him."

I stared at White's face. There was no reply. I frowned sadly. I hated it when he wasn't here. But if he wasn't here, I could help Leroy. He couldn't stop me.

My fangs lengthened and my dark eyes glimmered then I let out several chirps, like that of a cat. After I cried several times, I let my teeth hide then I sat down on the pillar's base. I shouldn't have to wait long for one of the brothers from the Branch to respond.

I sang softly to myself. They were songs my mother used to sing to me when I was small. While she was a cold woman, especially with her words, the songs she sang always made me feel loved by her. They comforted me a little. The loneliness I felt from White's indifference and absence and the worry for Leroy's obvious trouble was something that was beginning to make me feel weighted. It didn't help with the fear for my own safety. I was silently praying that father would keep me safe. He had always before and I just hoped this time wouldn't be any different.

Before long I felt someone approaching. I listened to their footsteps, continuing to sing, and didn't even look up when I felt them beside me, standing on the arch connecting my pillar to the one opposite.

"You called Alma." said Alfie happily.

"Can I ask a favour of you?" I asked hesitantly as I turned to look up at him.

His eyebrows hitched up high and he laughed. "You can order me, Alma. As the daughter of our Head, I will do anything you ask."

I blinked slowly. "I don't want to order anything of you though."

Again, Alfie laughed. "You definitely have the traits of your father. I'm glad." He crouched down and patted my head. "You can ask any favour of me, young Alma."

"There is a boy called Leroy. He lives on your side of the town. Can you watch him for me please?"

Alfie gave me a bewildered stare. "A human? Whatever for? Is he a threat?"

I shook my head. "He is a very faint vampire."

"I didn't sense any other vampires in town."

"In two more generations, the human blood would have completely killed the vampire. He is practically human."

Alfie nodded in understanding. "Why do you want me to watch him?"

"He comes here angry some nights. Sometimes he is even wounded." I explained softly. "I want to know what hurts him and why."

Alfie gave me a long look. I guessed he was confused as to why I was taking such an interest but he nodded all the same.

"I'll do it." He promised. "I'll keep an eye him. If I see anything, I'll tell you."

I thanked him then watched as he dropped down and melted off into the darkness. I stroked White's head nervously. I was feeling a little unnerved that I had gone behind White's back. If he found out I was going out of my way to keep Leroy safe, I knew he wasn't going to be happy. Knowing I had done something that would anger him didn't settle well with me.

I glanced up when I heard my name being called. Wolfram stood at the top of the garden steps in a cloud of cigarette smoke. I never felt him approach. I had no idea he had even left the house. He bewildered me. For a human, he definitely doesn't feel like one. In fact he felt like nothing. I had never sensed anything like it.

"Alma!" He called again. "Come back into the house. It's getting late now."

I did as I was told. I dropped and landed lightly on the patio below me then trundled up to his side. He gave me a long look.

"What happened?" He asked as he turned to head back into the house.

I gave the back of his head a blank stare of confusion. He sensed this rather than saw.

"You called one of your brothers. Why?"

"I just wanted some help."
He glanced back at me but let it be. He knew I wasn't going to explain any further. He bid me goodnight when we entered the house. Wolfram returned to his study while I wandered up stairs to my bedroom. I curled into a ball under the thin blanket and pressed White to my chest. Quickly I fell asleep, wondering quietly what Alfie would find in his hunt.