Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 11

Alfie led me through the darkened woodland and into the town. Wolfram followed close behind, not wanting to leave me while he felt I was in trouble. I clutched White close to me while I tried to keep my nerves calm. I didn’t like the fact Leroy was suddenly in danger. I also didn’t like the fact I felt no other immortal in the area. It made me worry who was threatening him.

Alfie stopped just shy of the house. I came to stand next to him, watching the small house from beside the tall wall of its neighbour. I could hear voices inside, or one voice, and my nose scented blood. Worry tightened in my stomach horribly.

“The boy came home upset.” Alfie explained. “I don’t know exactly what happened but he challenged the man in the house. The man is not used to him being aggressive and reacted badly. Things seem to be quieter though than when I came to get you.”

“That’s not necessarily a good thing.” Wolfram grumbled.

I nodded in solemn agreement then wandered into the long grass and weeds that covered the front garden. My knuckles tapped the door twice and I titled my head as I listened. I heard a man inside grumbling savagely to himself but there was no movement. I turned to Alfie, who was coming up behind me. Wolfram remained by the wall, lighting a cigarette and watching us darkly.

“Something has happened.” Alfie grumbled.

Without another word, I gripped the door handle pushed it forward hard. The lock broke instantly. I slipped inside with Alfie remaining close to me. Stale air filled my nose and I just about managed to avoid the rubbish that lined the floor. Alfie gripped my arm, preventing me from going any further. I waited as he listened to the quiet house. I could really only hear the TV from the next room.

“Go upstairs. He’s there. I’ll watch the man.” Alfie whispered.

I did as he ordered. From a young age I had learnt not to disobey those older than me. Bad things tended to happen to them or myself if I did.

I floated upstairs silently, scenting the air. I could smell blood. Not a lot but enough for it to stain the air. I took the first door in the narrow hallway and found it took me into the bathroom. I froze as soon as I entered however. There, sitting hunched over by the dirty bath was Leroy. At first I said nothing. My eyes were fixed on the blood in his hair. My grip tightened on White, almost praying for him to appear and help me.

“Leroy.” I called gently.

There was no reply. I wasn’t sure if he was awake. Gently I knelt before him and lightly poked his head. My finger came away tinged with blood. Worry flared. How badly was he hurt? I placed White by me and gently shook him. He stirred and wearily lifted his head.

I just stared blankly at the black eye and numerous cuts and bruises littering his face and neck. He squinted at me through the pain and almost at once he recognised me.

“What are you doing here?” He demanded as roughly as he could, trying to push me away.

I stood my ground. I didn’t like what had happened to him at all. Anger was beginning to grow.

“What has happened?” I asked.

“Nothing that concerns you. Now get out.”

I frowned at his anger but I wasn’t leaving him. “You need healing. We can give that to you.”

“We? Who’s we?”

“My cousin.” I muttered then froze when I heard movement below.

All of a sudden I heard a new voice, slightly drunk and shouting insults. The man had found Alfie. I picked up White and left the bathroom, trundling downstairs to find a stout man yelling abuse at Alfie. Alfie stood tall and stared down at him, not moving from his position of barricading his path to the stairs. At my presence, Alfie glanced up at me and gave me an inquiring look.

“We’re taking Leroy. He is in bad shape and needs healing. I don’t want him threatened by this man again.” I said.

The man turned on me. “What the hell are you talking about? You’re not taking my son anywhere!” He snarled.

“He holds no blood of yours.” Alfie snapped then softened his tone when he addressed me. “I sense it will not be easy.”

“Leroy does not accept my words or what he is. He won’t like being taken away.”

Alfie mulled over my words, completely ignoring the man in front of him and his demands that we leave his home. “We shall heal him first then convince him. I don’t like the idea of leaving him here with this human.”

I bowed my head in agreement then wandered back upstairs to find Leroy leaning against the bathroom door. He was glaring at me as best as he could.

“I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“You are. You can rest back at Aflie’s home. We can speak more about what I told you later.” I said and took his hand to get him moving.

“I told you Alma, I want nothing to do with your cult.”

“And I have told you it isn’t a cult. What I am, what Alfie is, what you are, are another specie.”

“I am not a vampire, Alma.” He snapped while trying to hide his confusion that I was managing to get him moving without any difficulty.

“You are. Just very faint and weak. Our Lady can fix that though if you want.”

“I don’t.”

“Even so, I am not leaving you here. Not with someone who hurts you.” I said firmly.

“And I am not going anywhere without my mother.” He snapped. “Why do you think I am still here, Alma, when I can leave anytime I want? My mother is sick. Very sick. And that bastard would hurt her if I left her alone.”

I stopped, staring up at him with my large eyes. I hadn’t thought that something was holding him to this house. I should’ve guessed. He wouldn’t stay to be hurt like this without a reason.

“Then we take her with us.”

Leroy looked utterly bewildered. “What?”

“I can give you a home and protection, Leroy, until we find your Clan, if it still exists. If it doesn’t then you create your own. My Clan will care for you until you’re able to stand strong.” I promised softly.

He just stared in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“You don’t need to understand anything yet. We just need to leave and get you somewhere safe.”

“You don’t make any sense!” He stammered.

I realised I was confusing him too much and backed off a little. “Just come with us. My other cousins will come and bring your mother to you.”

I tugged him downstairs, nodding at Alfie then glancing at the man clutching his fist in pain. Obviously he had tried to punch Alfie which is effectively punching a wall.

“Leroy is coming but his mother must come also. She is sick and will need help.”

“No he isn’t!” The man yelled. “He’s my son!”

“I am not, Freddie. You know that.” Leroy grumbled as he leaned against the wall, touching his torn lip.

I glanced at the wound, noting some of them were deep. I would ask how it got so bad later.

“The boy stays.” Freddie snapped.

I turned on him, glaring at him with cold eyes. “Leroy is not bound to you by blood so you have no sway over him. He and his mother are now under the protection of my Clan and will be so until I deem fit for it to be lifted. You will have nothing more to do with them.”

Freddie scowled in rage. “Who the f-“

Alfie hand shot out and grabbed Freddie’s throat. He lifted the large man easily from the floor and his hand tightened around his neck, making him choke. Fangs extended from beneath his upper lip and he snarled savagely. I sensed Leroy stiffen from shock behind me.

“Our mistress as spoken and her word is law.”

Alfie continued to hold him up until the lack of air caused him to fall unconscious. He then let go sharply, letting his body fall to the floor like a rag doll.

“Mistress Alma, take Leroy to Wolfram’s and heal him. We’ll come get him once we have moved his mother.” Alfie said stiffly. “I’ll watch this man until then.” He kicked Freddie’s leg in disdain.

“Thank you.” I said, taking Leroy’s hand.

Alfie smiled softly at me and nodded then glanced at Leroy. “We’ll take care of your mother and ensure she sleeps until you’re by her side. You will be the only one who will calm her.”

Leroy nodded numbly and didn’t resist as I took him outside to Wolfram who watched the house still. He gave me a thin smile in welcome.

“Come then, Alma. Let’s go back and patch the boy up.” Wolfram said and waved his cigarette at Leroy, who’s face now adopted a rather blank expression. “Tomorrow I’ll ask questions. I think we deserve a little explanation to what the hell happened here.”

I cocked my head at him. “You don’t seem surprised that he’s with us.”

His smile grew. “My hearing is very good, Alma.” He said then walked onwards into the darkness.

I squeezed Leroy’s hand and glanced up at him. He seemed so confused and lost. I didn’t blame him. Many things had happened this night. Gently I lead him back to Wolfram’s house. As soon as we got back I would clean and sew his wounds then watch over him as he rested. Never would I let him be hurt like this again. Not while I thought of him as my friend.