Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 13

I rocked back and forth on my heels as I stood alone in the middle of Cassandra’s lounge. White fidgeted too although it was from irritation, not anxiety.

“I told you not to get involved, Alma.” He snarled softly.

I shifted my weight nervously. “I could not help it. Leroy was hurt, either emotionally or physically whenever he came to see me. As a friend, I could not just ignore him.”

Anger hummed from White. He didn’t like this response at all and his irritation grew but he did nothing, not if he wanted to remain undetected. He was already walking on thin ice with Wolfram and I was dreading the talk he wanted to have with us. It was going to turn into a heated argument, I knew.

I sharply looked up when Cassandra came floating back into the room having taken Leroy to his mother with Kenny. She smiled warmly at me.

“Leroy is currently talking to his mother.”

“She is taking the new situation well?”

Cassandra frowned lightly. “No. She keeps saying she must go back.”

“Why? The man harmed her son and probably harmed her too.”

“She tells Leroy that it is nothing more than she deserves.”

I tightened my grip on White. Why would she think she deserved that sort of abuse? Cassandra smiled once again and indicated for me to sit down.

“Wait for a while. Once Leroy and Kenny have spoken to her, I’ll let you in. For now, wait.”

I did as I was told and sat down in the chair behind me. Cassandra sat quietly across the room, sitting still and poised. I watched her from my seat, shadowing my eyes with my hair. She appeared content and barely moved. Her chest wasn’t visibly moving. She just sat there like a life sized china doll.

We sat there quietly for an hour, waiting for Leroy and Kenny to appear. They never did. Eventually Cassandra stirred.

“Enough time has passed. I’ll let you enter and speak to them.” She said as she stood.

I followed her into the thin hall way to the final door. She opened it and gestured for me to enter. I did.

Kenny was standing by the window, observing Leroy as he held his mother’s hand. She was a weak woman, skinny and very feeble. She was crying softly, moaning gently about needing to go back.

For a moment I was silent and my entry remained unnoticed. That was until Cassandra’s voice broke the quiet whimpering.

“Meg. This is Alma, the girl who is caring for your family.” She said softly as she approached Meg’s side.

Meg’s large eyes latched onto me. They were doleful and sad, almost pleading. “I need to go back.”

I blinked slowly. “I cannot let that happen. You’re safe here and well cared for. Back there, there is only pain.”

“Freddie’s anger is justified. I deserve it.” She began to cry.

Leroy stepped in and shushed her softly, cooing her to sleep. When she eventually fell unconscious, Cassandra indicated for us to leave. When Leroy hesitated, Cassandra took his shoulder and forced him to stand. He couldn’t fight against Cassandra strength as she propelled him out of the room. While she may be weak for a vampire, Cassandra was still far superior than a young human.

“Alma, sit.” Cassandra instructed after we entered the lounge. “Wait here while I get some tea.”

Kenny sat in the sofa opposite me but Leroy hovered.

“I need to take her home. We don’t belong here.” Leroy muttered.

White stirred and growled but said nothing.

“Taking her back isn’t an idea.” Kenny said stiffly. “You’ll only become her shield again.”

“Then what?”

“You stay here. You’re safe here, just as Alma said.” Kenny said firmly. I glanced at him. His tone was odd, like he was suddenly older. “It’s a start Leroy. Use this as a boost to gain a place of your own.”

Leroy frowned and scowled. Kenny returned it.

“Alma is willing to help you and has the ability to. Accept it.”

“It would be a wise choice.” Cassandra said as she carried a tray to the small coffee table. “Whether you use us or just genuinely want our help, I don’t mind. Our mistress is quite fond of you and wants you to be safe. We will do what we can to help her.”

The scowl remained in place. “No.”

Cassandra raised an eyebrow. “No?”

“She claims to be a vampire.” He explained.

Her dark eyes swivelled onto my face with curiosity. “You told him?”

“He is the one with faint vampire blood.” I replied.

She nodded in agreement then began to hand out the tea. “The Lady will be able to cure his blood, make him strong again. It was a good decision.”

“Wait, you’re in on this?” Leroy demanded.

“In on what exactly?” Cassandra asked as she sat beside me. “If you mean that I claim to be a vampire, then yes, I am. I am a part of one of the strongest and oldest Clans and Alma here is our young mistress, the daughter of our Head.”

Leroy stared in shock. “What?”

“We are of the Old World, a place you hold a small piece in. It is a dangerous place but it is our home and culture. One hidden from mortals.” Cassandra explained.

“You’re both insane.”

Cassandra’s soft eyes narrowed sharply. “You have seen things since the day my sons and Alma took you from that place. You can’t deny that we exist.”

“I can.” He said stubbornly.

“Then in time you will eventually be unable to deny it. You will see things that no human can do.” Cassandra smiled suddenly. “In the meantime, know your mother is safe here. We will also help you find a place to stay if you wish. Somewhere away from that man.”

“My mother won’t allow it.” Leroy said heavily. He was giving up fighting against me now that Cassandra was backing me, I noticed.

“Why won’t she?” I asked.

Leroy hesitated but Kenny pushed him softly. “Tell her. She needs to know to help care for her.”

Leroy glared at me. I stared back blankly. White’s presence thickened. He gave in. Leroy sat in the chair beside Kenny, slouching with his hand touching his hair irritably.

“My mother married Freddie years ago, when they were young. She regretted it after a couple of years. He became a drunkard and quite violent. She remained loyal and faithful though. She got herself into that marriage and she was determined to live with it. For years she put up with his abuse, suffering quietly alone. She eventually found someone else and, for once, did something for herself. She betrayed the bastard and had an affair for several months.” He explained tiredly.

“This man is your father?” I asked quietly.

Leroy nodded. “I never met him. My mother, when tired, will speak about him. She was fond of him, still is, even though he vanished and never appeared again. Freddie was furious though. I grew up with him nearly killing my mother several times. When I was big enough to take the hits, I did. Mother wouldn’t leave him though. She says his anger and abuse is okay as she betrayed him. She feels it is only what she deserves. It’s why she never reports him and why I can never get her to leave.”

I nodded my head gently. It was going to be difficult getting Meg to accept her life here. “She is safe now, Leroy. You can take care of her safely here, without being hurt by Fred.”

Leroy fidgeted then stood up and left, heading back to his mother’s room.

“It will take a while.” Kenny said. “He can hold grudges well.”

“And what about you?” Cassandra asked. “You seem to be taking what we say without question.”

Kenny smiled and remained quiet. His eyes flickered to my face though and a hint of wariness appeared briefly.

“I’ll go join him.” He said.

Cassandra nodded and watched him leave. “It will be tough convincing them.”

“I know.” I replied quietly.

“We shall help you though. Keeping them safe is the right thing and, as the boy is vampire, we have the power to.”

“Thank you for your help, especially as you will have to do this on your own too.”

“I will quite happily watch over the pair.”

I smiled and sipped at my tea, thankful that Cassandra was more than happy to help me.

“I’ll inform the Lady and let her know.”

I nodded then glanced at the hallway Leroy had vanished down. Cassandra was right. It was going to be difficult to convince him and gain his trust back. The only thing that would do it was exposing him to the violent side of the Old World. That was the only time our immortality and strength was visible. I just hoped Leroy would never be exposed to something like that any time soon.