Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 15

By the end of the week, some things were improving while others were deteriorating.

Meg was settling down as Leroy and Cassandra soothed her fears. I knew Cassandra was using all her whiles to get Meg to want to stay, whether it was the company Meg now had or the fact she was living in quite an exquisite bedroom I was not sure but I was certain they had something to do with Meg’s calming.

Leroy, I was pleased to say, was becoming less stubborn. With Kenny pushing him gently from behind, he was beginning to warm up to me again. He could now sit near me without either scowling at me and ignoring me or walking out of the room all together. He hadn’t yet approached me about the vampire subject however. I think he was beginning to see though. Living with the Branch will allow him to see things no one else was allowed to. He was slowly asking me questions as well, which I answered warmly. I was pleased he was at least beginning to open to the idea of the Old World.

What saddened me however were two things. One was that there was still no contact from my father, even after a week. He was still on edge and refusing to let me return. If he felt there was something that wasn't right, it would take a while before he felt comfortable in bringing me home, even if Gabor didn't make any moves.

The other thing was White.

He was becoming distant lately, spending less time with me and often remaining quiet. Normally we did not speak but the silence from him was brooding and irritated. I was becoming worried I had done something to upset him but whenever I asked he brushed the question away. I gave up after a while and just watched the empty toy sadly.

Evening had fallen on the eighth day since my father's call. I sat outside, humming to myself in the cool summer night, as I swung my legs that dangled down from the pillar I sat on. The moon was bright tonight, I noted then glanced down at White. He still hadn't appeared today. Something was wrong. I knew there was. He just wouldn't tell me.

I had been sitting up here alone for a long time now. Wolfram was working in his study, still a little distrustful towards White but calmer since my father spoke to him. He had wordlessly accepted what was said to him as I expected. I had thought I would remain alone tonight, while dimly holding a bubble of hope in my chest that maybe White would come to me, but apparently that wasn't so. I peered below when I heard muffled footsteps.

I was surprised but pleased to see Leroy staring up at me with a guarded expression on my face.

"I came to do some gardening. That's it." He said defensively.

I didn't say a word, just watched with my large eyed gaze as he went about his business. The gloves and equipment he had been using over a week ago had been left were he had abandoned them. I didn't want to move them in hopes he would come back and continue to rebuild the garden.

I had to admit, having Leroy below gardening once again lifted my spirits, even if he was vaguely ignoring me. At least he wasn't completely avoiding me anymore.

For a while we remained in silence and would've continued to if Leroy hadn't spoken.

"So this Old World is real?" He muttered under his breath.

My sensitive ears picked up his words easily even from though I sat a fair distance from him. "That is so." I replied.

He flinched visibly and turned to face me. "You heard that?"

"I did. Senses are strong in all of our kind. It's how we hunt and survive."

He nodded and returned to work. Wanting to see what he had done so far, I pushed myself off from the pillar and let myself drop to the floor. He glanced sharply at me, narrowing his eyes as he watched me stand and potter over to his side.

"Are you accepting what you are?" I queried.

"No." He said stubbornly as he tore up the earth vigorously. "But I might accept what you are. What Cassandra and her sons are."

I rocked back and forth on the balls of my feet. "Why is that?"

He paused. "They don't feel right. That and when they practice sparring, they tend to fling each other into the wall without much effort. No normal human can have that amount of strength, no matter how long they work out." His eyes flickered up to the pillar that I had been sitting on. "You also do things that should have hurt you but don't."

My eyes glowed with contentment. "That is good to hear."

Leroy continued working for a little while longer in silence but I could smell he was troubled. Patiently I waited for him to approach the subject and watched as he planted more seeds into the earth.

"I'm not sure if I want to be woken up." He mumbled.

I titled my head. "That is your choice to make. As you are virtually human, you can return to your life once you have found a place for yourself and your mother to stay. The Lady will be sad to see another Clan die though."

He nodded solemnly. I continued to hover around him, singing the lullabies my mother sang to me after the silence stretched on too much. My singing however abruptly stopped when I felt movement in my hands.

My eyes latched onto the white rabbit and watched happily as White began to move. I clutched him to my chest, pressing him firmly between my small breasts, as pleasure at his return filled me.

White wriggled violently in my hands. "As much as I like being here, please remove me." He said sharply.

I did so instantly and held him up to my face while White organised his long ears. "Where have you been, White?"

White shrugged his shoulders and looked down at Leroy with an air of disdain. "So you're back now? I thought you never wanted to speak to Alma again."

Leroy scowled and pressed his lips together in anger. He couldn't fight back as White had a point.

"White, be kind. I would like to repair our friendship." I said softly.

White's irritation grew. "Do not like him."

My eyebrows knitted in confusion. "Whether or not you like him makes no difference. I choose him to be my friend all the same."

A snarl rumbled in the air like thunder as White wordlessly voiced his disapproval.

"White. Please." I pleaded.

He continued to growl softly for a moment before he calmed and backed down.

"Fine." He snapped. "But I am watching him."

How can you watch him when you're barely here? I thought to myself sadly.

I turned my gaze onto Leroy and willed him to back down also. After holding my gaze for a while, he got the hint and began work again. White continued to be moody while I crouched down beside Leroy, helping him now and then when he asked.

It was as tiredness began to settle in and bed called that something stirred in my mind. I stood sharply and, stiff with alertness, stared out into the woods surrounding the low cobbled walls.

"White. Do you feel that?" I whispered.

White looked up then out into the darkness. "Feel what?"

"Something is calling."

"What is?"

I hesitated. It did not feel like a threat but I could not place what was calling me, which confused me a little. What was even stranger was that, while I knew it was unfamiliar, I felt I had heard the wordless call before.

"I am not sure."

"Shall we go find it?" Leroy suggested as he watched me cautiously.

"No." White snapped. "With the fact she might still be in danger, I wouldn't."

"But is feels faintly familiar, White. I do not think it is a threat."

"No." White said adamantly.

The call thickened, filling my mind. It had no words or voice. It was just a feeling in my very being. And it was growing stronger, almost demanding I come.

"I have to see, White." I said.

"Alma." White warned.

"I will be fine. The caller won't harm me, I am sure." I glanced at Leroy. "Do you wish to come?"

He nodded instantly. "I won't let you run off on your own at this time of night, Alma."

My eyes glimmered with happiness at his apparent concern for me. He definitely was getting over his anger at me. I began to walk lightly and soundlessly towards the western wall, guiding Leroy as I followed the call.

"This is insanity, Alma!" White raged in my hands. "Gabor is still planning something! You can't just run off and follow an unknown call!"

"It is safe." I said firmly.

"Then at least inform Wolfram."

"If I did, he would not let me go." I pointed out. "Besides, he is not needed. I told you, it is perfectly safe."

White wordlessly exploded, letting the air about him grow colder but he couldn't stop me. And I wouldn't let him. I was certain this call was being sent by an ally and I was very curious as to who was sending it and why the felt so familiar for a call I had never heard before.