Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 17

A cool musky scent filled my nose as I cautiously stepped into the ward locked room. I could just about see what was inside from the small thin light emitting from Leroy's phone beyond the door. It was a long low hall, filled with dirt, stone and cobwebs. I could see the beds of the dead, ten stone graves that stood in two neat rows on either side of the room. I wasn't sure who these people once were but I wasn't interested enough to find out. Right now, my focus was completely taken by the heartbeat I heard at the far end.

I glanced back at Leroy, making sure he remained where he was. He looked unhappy but showed no signs of following. Clutching White to me, I began to edge my way down the morbid isle. The closer I got, the louder the weak heartbeat grew, but that was the only indication to life being in this once locked room. I felt nothing. No essence of immortality or mortality. I could not feel who was in here. It worried me. I always felt people easily. White growled softly, indicating he was also unnerved. He felt nothing either.

Slowly I grew close to them, close enough to see them. I silently stopped and gazed down at the person who had been calling me. All fear left me as I observed.

He was a large man who stank after years of grim had gathered. His large hands were fastened to the wall with thick chains, keeping him from moving from this spot. The muscles in his body had remained strong however, in fact his whole body looked healthy, if horribly dirty. His skin was filthy and pale, even bloodied. His thick black hair was long having grown without being cared for and horribly lank. The hair on his face also had not been kept under control and had grown in abundance. He wore simple clothes, a grey torn shirt and itchy looking trousers. That was it.

But even through the stench and unfamiliarity of the man, the scent that filled my nose calmed me. I knew this man but I didn't. He was kin but one I had not met before.

While I had calmed at the sight and scent of the pitiful man, White remained on guard and his power twitched irritably. This alerted the stranger and instantly his head snapped up and wide startled eyes stared directly at mine.

For a moment, a strange look took over. One of love and bewilderment. He narrowed his eyes at me as he tried to see me better.

"Annie? Is that you?" A deep dry voice rumbled out from his chest. By the hoarseness of his voice, I guessed he had not spoken out load in a long time. I remained quiet, not wanting to speak when I did not know who he was just yet, and he slowly came to his own conclusion. "No, you're not Annie." He said heavily, almost disappointed.

He fell silent and seemed to sag with tiredness. I bit my lip hard. This man didn't seem to be much of a threat. He gave me no reason to run and I felt no danger from him. All I felt was a tired and very old man.

"What is your name?" I asked.

Animation seemed to return to him as he realised he wasn't alone. "I am Cian."

"Why are you here?"

"I was put here for my own good. Annie wanted to keep me safe so here I remain."

I frowned in confusion. How could anyone be hidden and chained for their own good?

A new interested and excited feeling took over him. He didn't seem to bother to hide his emotions but went out of his way to keep his strength and nature hidden. "Tell me, who are you, child? And how did you find me?"

I pressed my lips together tightly in hesitation before I spoke softly. "My name is Alma and I felt your call."

His eyes now looked very confused. "But I was not aware I was calling anyone." He mumbled. "It is apparent I have been down here for so long I no longer know when I am reaching out to others." He peered up at me curiously. "But no one is able to hear my call. No one has been able to find me. They are not meant to."

"Then how did I hear it?"

"That you are like me. My kind can hear me, no matter how many people try to mute me."

I fell silent. I did not know what he was talking about. I was a vampire which meant he was too but how did the Branch not hear him? He obviously did not call often. I had been here for over two weeks now and not heard him. The Branch had resided here for over one hundred years which meant they should have heard him.

"There's a Branch nearby. They have never heard you." I stated.

A weak smile flittered over his eyes. "Alma, they can't hear me. They are vampires. But you're here. You heard my call. You broke the Witch wards which must make you my kin."

Again I fell silent. I was confused. I was a vampire. My parents were vampires. My Clan were vampires. To be anything else was impossible.

Cian leaned back and sighed heavily in contentment. "It is good to speak again and hear another's voice." He commented.

"How long have you been down here?"

"What year is it?"

"20xx."

His eyes dulled. "A little over four hundred years then."

My eyes widened in shock while White stirred. "How is it you have survived then?" White asked stiffly. "Vampires need blood to survive. Without it, they'll wither away and die."

"I am not a vampire, Silver Blood."

Abruptly, fear filled me and my fingers gripped White tightly as I took a few sharp steps away. No one had been able to guess what White was. No one.

"How do you know what he is?" I demanded.

"I know what everything is." Cian replied and yawned heavily.

"But no one has been able to tell what White is. Most believe he is Witch related."

"I can tell things just like you can Alma, only I am more powerful and sensitive than you."

I shifted my weight as I began to get unnerved. I still couldn't feel what he was although I had to admit he felt familiar. Even his scent was that of familiarity.

I stiffened sharply when Leroy called to me from the door.

"Alma? Is it safe?" He asked.

I remained silent. My nerves were tight as the knowledge Cian knew what White was so easily. Cian seemed to guess.

"I am no threat to you. While I am chained, I can't move." He said and wriggled his wrists. "These chains are the same that hold the kin of your rabbit friend."

I settled a little. The chains kept the Silver Blood in one place. Just one thought of breaking them or trying to escape puts those they hold through great pain. It explained how he was still chained to the wall. Simple chains would not hold a vampire for long.

"Leroy, it is safe." I called.

"Okay." He said hesitantly at my stiff response and slowly made his way towards me.

As I listened to his approach, I turned on Cian who was watching me quietly as White spoke.

"We will not release you. Not until we know for certain why you are here and who you are." White growled.

"You can just ask me, rabbit friend, I will be happy to answer you. But I don't want to be released. I intend to remain here until she comes back to me."

I reached out for Leroy, taking his hand firmly in mine while he gaped at the bedraggled man. He still held the phone which he shone on Cian. Cian winced and hissed, baring his large and very dangerous looking fangs, making Leroy flinch.

"Please turn that out, whatever it is!" He demanded.

Leroy did as he was told and flipped the phone's lid down, shutting the light out.

"Thank you." Cian breathed in relief. "I have not seen light for years. My eyes have become too sensitive now."

Leroy stiffly nodded and remained perfectly quiet so White could continue his conversation with Cian after the interruption but not before giving Leroy a swift growl.

"Until who comes?" White asked.

"Annie, my mate." Cian answered as he blinked his old eyes hard several times. "She locked me in here to keep me safe."

"From what?"

"From the Clans and the Families. I am an abomination in their eyes since the War and many have either tried to kill me or use me over the years." Cian said. "So I wait until she deems it to safe for me to come home."

"How are you an ambination?" I asked him.

Cian smiled weakly. "I am a dhampir, the child of a witch and a vampire." He replied. "And you are too, Alma, and I am afraid, if you're not careful, you will only be hunted until either you die or you vanish from the world."

My heart slowed a little and my throat dried painfully. "I have never heard of a dhampir."

"That is because I am the only one left." He said then smiled softly. "At least, I was." His smile broadened. "Now we are two, young Alma. We are the last of the dhampir."