Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 19

Wolfram had not been happy to see me once I had said goodnight to Leroy and returned home. He had been working until late but only realised I was missing when he did his usual early morning check of the house and didn't find me in my tower. He had panicked, it was safe to say. I only stepped beyond the black iron gate when the door slammed open and he came stalking out, demanding where I had been. I didn't tell him. Instead I vaguely said that I went for a walk and fell asleep in the woods. Needless to say his anger blew. Practically red faced he ordered me back to my room and I was not allowed to leave the house again without informing him first. I didn't say anything and did as I was told.

I now sat on my bed, brushing my hair as exhaustion began to settle in my body. Dawn was still very weak in the sky but it was there. I had been awake for a stupidly long time now and sleep was calling to me strongly now. White however was brooding next to me. I knew he wanted to say something once he had straightened out his thoughts.

"What do you think of Cian?" I asked softly as I continued to brush my hair.

White stiffened then, after glancing up at me, titled his head back and forth. "I don't know. I won't have much of an opinion until he can prove what he is."

That remained me of the chains. "How will we get hold of a witch weapon?"

White hummed deeply. "I am not sure. I will think of something though." He said. “I may have to borrow one from one of the Clan-claimed witches.”

I frowned a little in doubt. “Will they even part with their weapons? I thought witches get very attached to them.”

White sighed in exasperation. “I know they do. But the older ones, the ones you can no longer fight, might lend me a blade or something.”

I fell silent as the thought of the Cian bundled around in my head. I had thought of nothing but the strange prisoner and the dhampir. Of what I could be.

“Do you think the dhampir are real?”

White stared up at me with a thoughtful gaze. “They once did, I believe. Long ago. They were killed by the Clans.”

“Why?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. I know barely anything about them, only they were hunted by the Clans.”

“Then why trust Cian?”

“Because he feels trustworthy, but even so, I don’t trust him completely.” White said. “And he is your kinsman. One hidden away. I am interested in why and only he can give answers.” He scratched his long ears then observed the old tear in the left one, ensuring the threads still held firm. “I would tell Wolfram all the same. We need to ensure you’re safe and guarded when we release him.”

For once I wasn’t too inclined to argue with him. Cian was too much of an enigma not to take precautions with. His strength was even on a level I stood no chance against. If, when released, it turns out he was bent on harming me, no one could stop him. I wasn’t even sure if Wolfram could but he was the strongest guard I had.

“I’ll tell him.” I promised.

White nodded in approval. “You don’t have to rush. Only let him know once I have the blade. For now, Cian is harmless, and you may be able to find some things out about him when you visit.”

Again, I agreed with him. He sighed lightly then stood up and rested his small stubby arms on my knee.

“It is time for me to go.” White said.

I didn’t like the tone. It was heavy and regretful. It was not like him.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know when I’ll be back. Hunting down a blade a witch will lend me will take some time and, while I am at it, I will try and unearth some more information about the dhampir.” White said. “I won’t be able to watch you while I do this.”

That was not what I wanted to hear. He had been around less recently, becoming distant and quiet. It was making me incredibly lonely in the time when he wasn’t around and causing me to want him around more often. Having him leave me after a short time without speaking much left me feeling bereft and sad. I don’t know what I would feel when he left me for a much longer period of time but I knew I wouldn’t like it.

White seemed to pick up on my sadness even though my face still retained its emotionless mask.

“Stay with Wolfram and don’t go off alone.” He said then hesitated with irritation swirling about him lightly. “And when you visit Cian, take Leroy with you. Use him as a shield if Cian acts out. It’s all he’ll be good for.” I remained quiet, just about fighting back the plea for him to stay. White sighed. “I’ll be back soon, Alma. I promise.”

Mechanically I nodded and remained silent. White sighed heavily and stared up at me with his eyeless crosses.

“Goodnight Alma.” He said softly. “And keep yourself safe.”

“Goodnight White.” I managed to say.

And then he was gone. The toy deflated slowly and his head flopped forward as the body lost its strength to hold itself up.

I continued to brush my hair. It didn’t need it but my hands were working on their own now as my mind thought and my eyes clouded.

So he would be gone for a while now. Days. Weeks. Maybe even months. I doubted the latter but the thought still rolled around in my head, tightening my chest with pain as it did. My hands stopped and dropped to my lap, letting the brush falling from my fingers. Loneliness gnawed at me. Heartache burned. I wanted to cry.

I bit my lip hard and shook my head. I had to focus. Feeling like this would do me no good. I needed to think of Cian and see if I could work out some sort of information from him.

I let my body collapse onto the bed and scooped up White’s lifeless body, pressing him close to my chest. I hoped he would find the blade soon. I didn’t want him to be away for too long.

I slept fitfully that morning, dreaming dark dreams of White leaving me alone in a dark world and being hunted by the Clans and my father after turning into a dark monster, bent on letting the Old Ones’ blood flow.