Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 20

Leroy followed close behind me as I headed through the town. He held the bag I had packed, which contained water, food, clothes, scissors and soap. He also carried a bucket I had found. I had intended to carry this all myself but, after meeting up with my just beyond Wolfram’s house, he had snatched the bag from me and declared he would carry it. I didn’t argue. Leroy was a very prideful man.

Wolfram had been reluctant in letting me go. After last night, he didn’t want me outside, but I managed to convince him by saying it was in the afternoon and Leroy and White would be with me. I hadn’t told him where I was going. By how he was reacting at me simply stepping outside of his house, I doubted he would allow me to visit a chained ancient that claimed to be something that no longer existed. That and I didn’t want him to banish me from seeing Cian. I wanted to see if Cian was a threat to me and I could only do that by talking to him, not killing him.

It did not take me long to venture through the town and soon Leroy and I were standing just beyond the broken wall the surrounded the old church. With the sun out and shining warmly down on the decaying building, it looked a little less imposing and more sad. Leroy didn’t agree to this. He still glared at it with distrust. The church still pulsed with danger to mortals. As a home of the Old World, it would continue to ward off humans until it no longer housed an immortal.

I smiled at Leroy and took his hand, dragging him after me as I made my way down the broken path to the broken church. Before I walked down stairs, I paused at the top and closed my parasol shut. Clipping the empty White to the belt on my dress, I hooked the parasol on my wrist and indicated for Leroy to come closer. With the bag he carried within reach, I pulled out a small light encased in thin iron. I had found it in the garden, overrun with weeds. After cleaning it and getting it to work this morning, I decided to take it with me. The bulb was small and the light pale and dim. It shouldn’t hurt Cian’s eyes and help him adjust to light. He couldn’t wonder around outside with his eyes shut.

Holding the tiny lantern in front of me, I faced the stairs and began to make my way down the narrow stairs and wander to the closed witch doors. I knocked first, listening carefully to the room beyond. I hear nothing. Frowning a little, I pushed the door open and slipped inside, holding the lantern high.

“Cian.” I called.

There was no response. I frowned and waved Leroy to follow when he hovered behind me.We made our way down the crypt and stopped at the other end where we had left Cian chained. He was still there but he was sleeping. My frown deepened. A vampire of his strength would’ve sensed me coming a mile away. He should’ve woken but instead he remained asleep.

I placed my parasol and lantern on a broken slab beside me before kneeling down. I shook him gently, calling to the elderly vampire but he continued to sleep.

“Didn’t he say yesterday that he can’t stay awake when its daylight?” Leroy reminded me.

I remembered too. He had told us to leave him as he felt the sun rise, declaring he would sleep until it sets. This was normal for vampires but we could stay awake during daylight hours. We were just slow and sluggish and very prone to getting headaches. To have the inability to wake at all was odd.

Leroy seemed to notice my confusion. “Maybe it’s something to do with the dhampir.” He commented.

“Maybe.” I said softly, not quite certain whether or not I agreed with him.

“Well what do we do now? Are we going to wait until the sun sets?”

“Yes.” I said and took the bucket from his unresisting hand. “You can put the bag down. We might as well go find some water for when he wakes up.”

“What for?” Leroy asked as he followed me obediently from the crypt, flicking open his phone so he could see.

“He will need to be cleaned, Leroy, and his hair needs cutting.” I explained as we made our way to the surface. “I have some old clothes of Wolfram’s I found. I think they’ll fit him.”

“You are putting a great deal of care towards someone who you shouldn’t trust.” He mumbled in faint disapproval behind me.

“He is my kin and a member of my Clan. That is more than enough reason to treat him well.”

“Even if he turns out to be an enemy?”

“Yes.” I said and glanced at his confused expression as we left the stairs. “Family is important in the Old World. You must take care of your own as everyone else will probably intend to harm them.”

Leroy said nothing, only looked glum, as we sought out water. There was no tap nearby, as I had expected. We had to venture into to town and borrow water from Norman’s shop. We spoke to him a little while and I soon found out that he hadn’t known Leroy had moved. He was happy and hugged Leroy as tightly as he could, pleased that he was somewhere he felt safe. Leroy didn’t tell the old man he felt a little uncomfortable where he was even if he was safe. After having some tea, we left Norman, carrying the bucket of clean water carefully back to the church.

“Won’t Cian need warm water?” Leroy asked as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

“I don’t think he’ll mind some cool water, just as long as he’ll get clean.” I replied.

In the crypt, I placed it by the one of the tombs and ensured neither of us went near it in case we kicked it over. We had to wait for four hours before the sun set. At first we sat in silence. I closed my eyes, trying my best to pick up any sound other than our breathing, while Leroy brooded to himself. It was some time before he spoke his thoughts.

“Do I have a Clan?” He asked me quietly.

I looked up. “Possibly.” I said after a moment of thought.

“Why only possibly?”

“Your blood is weak, Leroy. You had never heard of the Old World and there is a strong possibility your father also had no idea of his heritage, so it is a strong possibility that your Branch is now withered.” I explained. “However whether the Clan still remains strong, I don’t know. They could be but there is also the possibility that they are also heavily infected with human blood, causing them to become weak and integrate themselves into the Mortal World.” Leroy seemed to sag at this. “Do you want to find them then? Your Clan?”

“I would like to know where my father came from and who this family of mine is, if they’re still around.” He said quietly.

“Lady Eva will have that answer. She will help you find your Clan or at least tell you who they were.” I told him. “Once I can return home, I’ll see what I can do for you to meet her.”

Leroy mumbled his thanks but could not hide his pleasure at my promise. I was quietly happy that he was now embracing his nature and wanting to find out more about it. We however stiffened when the distinct sound of clinking metal echoed in the air followed by a soft groan of pain and demand that the light be turned off.

Night had fallen. Cian was awake.