Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 24

I had to keep my legs from running when evening fell and the sword was in our possession. Sofia had handed it to us with a wary expression and let the owl sit on my shoulder. It seemed to prefer me to anyone else in the group. Leroy held the sword tightly while I carried the bird and White. Kenny trailed behind, humming quietly to himself. I wasn’t too happy he was with us but Kenny had been adamant he went. He wanted to meet Cian, the stranger Leroy had told him so much about. It was only because Leroy said it was fine that I agreed but I was going to keep an eye on him. He was unnerving me too often recently and I didn’t want a threat to appear before Cian.

We made our way quietly through the graves and church to the hidden crypts below. Cian was awake and waved to us as we approached him, smiling faintly at me. His eyes looked red. I assumed the light I kept leaving on was irritating his eyes but they were fully open, not closed or squinting. He was getting used to the light now.

“Alma, good evening.” He welcomed.

“Good evening, Cian.” I replied, placing White on the floor. I watched him as he trundled forward, sitting down at Cian’s feet.

“What can I do for you?” Cian asked as his eyes roamed around the room, observing each face with gentle scrutiny.

That was until his eyes landed on Kenny hovering in the back. Suddenly a glimmer of recognition flittered over his features. Instantly I faced Kenny, observing him hard. He simply stood there, very still and very quiet, as his eyes were captured by Cian. Kenny looked a little confused, frightened, but there was also a slither of recognition. My eyes narrowed.

“Have you met Kenny before, Cian?” I asked.

Kenny’s eyes instantly darted over to me and the confusion thickened, silently wondering why I thought we had.

“No, we have not.” Cian replied warmly with a smile. “Why do you ask?”

“You seemed to recognise him.” I replied.

His smile widened but his eyes glittered threateningly. I wasn’t to ask anymore. I didn’t but my trust in Kenny began to dwindle rapidly. Kenny seemed to notice my faint hostility and a gentle frown took over his mouth then simply stepped closer to Leroy, observing Cian with the intent to ignore me.

After a brief questioning glance at me, White approached Cian. “We have brought the sword.” He said, pointing a small stubby arm at the cylinder case in Leroy’s arms.

Cian’s face lit up instantly. “You do? I will be honest, I didn’t think you would’ve been able to get your hands on a witch-blade.”

White rubbed his ears and sat down heavily. “Well we have and we shall cut your chains for you but only if you tell us what you intend to do once they have been cut.”

“With my mind open and bare to you, I assume.” Cian commented, still smiling.

“Of course.”

“Very well.” Cian said and readjusted his weight and leaned forward, letting his large scarred hands grasp his knees. “I intend to do nothing. I will not move from this crypt, not until Annie comes to me and allows me home. The only thing I will do though is teach and train Alma when she is ready.”

“And you don’t intend to harm us?”

“No. You found me and spoken to me when you had a choice not to. I have no reason to want to harm any of you.”

Cian stared evenly at White while he scowled up at him with his cold aura swirling about him and sucking out what little warmth there in the room. Slowly White settled and nodded his head.

“You speak the truth.”

“I am pleased you believe this.” Cian said.

White grunted then glanced up at me. “You can cut the chains now. He won’t be a threat.”

Leroy carefully unscrewed the lid of the sword’s case then held it out for me. The owl that had been sitting quietly on my shoulder hopped off and perched itself on one of the stone graves. I gripped the cold handle, instantly feeling the old witch’s Matter stored within, pulsing under my skin, and gently pulled the short sword from its container. I was surprised at how intricate the sword was. The handle and sheath were black and gold, covered in patterns and swirls. The blade itself was pristine with tiny leaves burned into the centre, as if it hadn’t touched blood or flesh in its long life. It looked more ornamental than practical. Witches obviously had much pride in their weapons.

I forced myself away from admiring the sword and stepped closer to the wall. I held the sword tightly and aimed the tip at the ancient chains then swiped down hard. The iron stood no chance. It snapped loudly as the blade forced its way through, the Matter chewing away at the chains savagely. There was a loud clattering sound as the chains fell away and the shackles that surrounded Cian’s wrists clicked open. He rapidly shook them away and rubbed his sore reddened wrists.

“Thank you. It has been long time since my wrists have been free.” He said gratefully.

I sheathed the sword and held it carefully in my hands. Leroy fidgeted by Kenny, wanting to speak but not certain if he should. Very quickly impatience took over.

“Can you tell us now?” Leroy blurted out.

Cian looked up at me questioningly, still rubbing his wrists softly. “Tell you what?”

“About you. The dhampir. How you got here and why no one remembers them. How Alma is one of you.” Leroy interrupted.

Cian laughed. “No, not yet.”

White aura thickened a little with annoyance while my face remained impassive. I wasn’t surprised by his refusal in the slightest.

“Why not?” Leroy demanded with a little anger.

“Because I have no need to. Not yet anyway, so calm yourself, Leroy. There is no need for you to become angry in Alma’s behalf” He smiled widely at the embarrassed and irritated glare he received from Leroy. “Alma.” Cian said, turning to me. “I will teach you everything you need to and want to know in due time. But not now. Not until you have awakened. Too much information too soon will be too much for you to cope with. I don’t want to overload you with new things.”

“So you intend for her to discover things by herself?” White queried.

“Yes. A lot of what I will tell her she will find out for herself. Some will need teaching and explaining. But not now. Not until she believes and accepts she is a dhampir.”

White grumbled in acceptance while I continued to stare at Cian with a blank expression. Leroy sputtered in anger but calmed when I turned to him.

“He is right Leroy. I won’t take what he says seriously. Not until my body confirms that I am a dhampir.” I said calmly, trying to ignore the small swell of panic at the thought I was not a vampire. That my mother wasn’t who I thought she was. “You did the same, remember? You ran from me and my words because you had no proof you were a vampire, no belief.”

Slowly his eyes lowered in agreement but the stubborn frown remained. I nodded and muttered that I would take my leave and return the sword. I left White and Leroy with Cian, helping him stand and walk to see how much strength his body had in him. Kenny left with me, much to my annoyance. He trailed after me, quiet and glum, as we left the church in search of Sofia. The owl hooted timidly on my shoulder.

“Alma, I don’t know what I have done to upset you, but I am sorry.” He said quietly.

I stopped and turned to him, holding the cylinder that held the small beautiful sword. “Who are you?” I asked.

He paused and confusion instantly took over. “Alma, you know who I am. I’m Kenneth. Leroy’s friend.”

“No, you’re someone else. I sense the Old World in you sometimes. You aren’t phased by auras and Matter or anything to do with the immortals. Cian even recognised you even if he denied it and you often look at me as if I had done you harm in the past.” I accused a little sharply. “If you’re human, you’d react in some way to what you have seen these last few weeks. Excitement. Fear. Confusion. Something. But definitely not nothing. So who are you?”

Kenny frowned, his hand reaching up to grasp his hair in distress, and I smelt his confusion thicken. I also sensed panic. “I am Kenneth.” He replied but I heard a slither of doubt.

My anger faltered. I smelt nothing but genuine confusion and fear at my accusation. He was lost. Seeing this strange uncertainty and sadness within a person who was constantly so excited and happy made me take back my words.

“Kenny. Let’s go. We have a sword to return.” I said gently, hoping he would realise he was forgiven.

Kenny’s eyes stared at me, bewildered and a little scared, before he nodded and his old smile returned, forcing his worries to the back of his mind. We walked back to the town in search of Sofia. I constantly watched Kenny as his old nature returned and he constantly babbled away at me. I wondered who he was. It would need looking into, especially as he may be a threat to me. I would tell Wolfram about it later. Hopefully he would find something out. Because I was certain Kenny didn’t know who he really was.

It seemed I had now added another worry to my collection. Although the most prominent and unnerving one was what I was and what it meant.