Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 27

“Alma.” Cian whispered, shaking me slightly. “Wake. It is evening now.”

I groaned and forced my eyes open, rubbing my face hard. I frowned at the bloody flakes that broke from my skin. Cian smiled at me as he crouched down, handing me a wet cloth.

“You will cry blood now, Alma. It isn’t anything serious.”

“But why? I never did before.” I said as I observed the faint red stain on the cloth.

“I don’t know why we do but you were un-awakened before. All what makes you a dhampir is now active.” He settled himself next to me, ruffling my hair again. “Some will be obvious and instinctive. Others you must learn. Those traits I will teach you.”

I glanced up at him. “You will?”

“I will, I am the only one who can, but first I think you should return home. I believe there are people there who would be quite worried about you.”

I stared at my hands. Part of me didn’t want to go back, not only was there anger still burning in my chest but I wanted to learn, but the other part of me wanted to. Wolfram had only done as he had been ordered to by my parents, two people he was very loyal to. And I wanted to see White. I regretted pushing him away so violently like that. I wanted to apologise to him.

Cian pulled me into a brief embrace, cradling my head. “Go back first. Tomorrow I’ll begin to teach you.”

I glanced up at him then nodded my head slowly. I wanted to hear what Wolfram knew first. I stood and dusted down my muddy dress.

“I’ll be leaving now.” I said softly.

“I will see you tomorrow evening.” Cian said and smiled broadly up at me. “And there is nothing wrong with what you are, Alma. You are a very special and important creature to the Clans.”

“Then why have the forgotten you?”

His smile remained but his eyes dimmed. Instantly I decided not to press about the history of the dhampir and instead bowed my head.

“Thank you for letting me stay here.”

The warmth returned to his eyes faintly. “Goodbye Alma.”

I nodded then left quietly, moving quickly through the church until I stepped out into the cool night air. I inhaled deeply, standing still and listening to the world in the grim ancient graveyard. My senses tickled though and rapidly realised I wasn’t alone. I walked between the graves until I came to the rusted gate and found Leroy sitting on the ground beside the broken wall.

I crouched down beside him and cupped my chin in my hands, observing him as he slept. I wasn’t surprised he had fallen asleep but I was surprised to find him here, waiting for me.

Gently I poked his head, calling him softly and coaxing him out of his sleep. He stirred slowly but as soon as he grasped that he had fallen asleep, he became very active. Instantly he was on his feet, rubbing his eye hard as his face flushed red.

“It is late for you.” I stated, still remaining crouched on the floor. “These last few days you have returned to your normal routine instead of staying up until morning with me.”

Leroy scowled at me. “Wolfram said you had run off.”

I frowned a little. “I had.”

“Why?”

I stood sharply. “Because I am a dhampir and Wolfram knew that I was. My parents knew. But no one told me. They kept it from me.”

His scowl softened and he scratched his head. “Well it would explain why Wolfram was so grim and told me not to look for you.”

Annoyance stabbed. “He did?”

“And White. Both of them said you needed time to yourself.”

I pressed my lips together firmly but nodded. “I am heading back now. Do you want to come with me?”

“I will. I want to know what the fuss is about.” He said and followed me as I turned to head back to Wolfram’s dark house.

Leroy talked to me throughout the short walk through the forest. He didn’t seem to be in the least bit concerned about the horribly gloom that surrounded us and the piercing screeches and rustling of creatures. He seemed to have gotten over his initial fear of the darkness. It pleased me. Before he didn’t enjoy the darkness and found the woodlands at night eerie. It felt like he was stepping into the Old World slowly, where he should be. I decided to take his lead and take some small steps of my own. If I was to accept that I was a dhampir and feel happy about it, I needed to find out exactly what it was, what I was. And I knew the exact person to speak to first.

We soon came to the large gothic house, dark and slick from recent rain. Leroy kept close to me, watching me carefully. Sometimes I sensed him reaching out to me, to take my hand, but he would always withdraw it and blush quietly to himself.

The door groaned when I pushed it open. Wolfram always left it unlocked. Nobody dared come near this place. I didn’t care for the muddy trail I left behind me as I made my way to Wolfram’s study. I knocked once then opened the door.

Wolfram was sitting at his desk, books and paper surrounding him as usual. But something new was there. My eyes instantly picked up the small body of White which sat lifeless beside Wolfram’s old coffee mug. I was a little saddened that White wasn’t here. I couldn’t say sorry to him.

Wolfram dropped his pen and let his chair turn to face me, his face grim. “You came back sooner than I thought you would.” He stated.

“I wanted answers.”

“Should’ve guessed that.” He mumbled then smiled grimly at me. “Sit down and ask your questions. Leroy, you can stay.” He said as he noticed Leroy backing out of the room. “You are someone I can trust. Besides, even if you were to speak of this, you’re not too much of a hassle to hunt and dispose of.”

Leroy’s face drained rapidly. “I won’t talk about this to anyone.”

Wolfram’s smile grew stiffly as he watched Leroy settle himself next to me. “Good.” He turned to me. “Now Alma, I will say that I can’t answer every question you have. I don’t know the history of your kind and your parents will want to explain some things to you. But I will answer the basics for you. I don’t want to leave you in the dark completely.”

“If you can’t answer all my questions, then let me call my father.” I said firmly.

Wolfram looked taken aback for a moment. “Your father?”

“Yes. I am guessing he knows about as much as you do.”

“Well, yes, he does.”

“Then let me ask him. Let me ask him why he kept this from me.”

Wolfram hesitated before he fished out the old phone from beneath the papers. He pressed a few buttons then held then phone to his ear, glancing at me now and then. I waited a little eagerly but with a small angry flame burning in my chest. Wolfram muttered a few words in the mouth piece then held it out for me. I stood and took it, instantly becoming under attack of dozens of emotions when I heard his voice.

“Alma? What is it?” My father said, his voice filled with concern.

I couldn’t say anything for a moment. The sense of betrayal numbed my tongue.

“I have awakened.” I stated numbly.

There was silence on the other end then he spoke with joy. “Well done, Alma. Your mother will be thrilled to hear that. She has been itching to teach about battle and stealth.”

The joy in his voice was strained. He was worried. My frown deepened.

“I am not a vampire, am I?”

Again there was silence. This time it lasted longer, much longer. I knew he would be giving me a dark look, the one where he was thinking of the best answer to give. Slowly there was a heavy sad sigh.

“No, you’re not. Not entirely.” He said heavily. “You’re a dhampir.

I don’t know why but hearing my father tell me that was much more painful than hearing it from either Wolfram or Cian. Those horrible bloody tears began to fill my eyes. Wolfram didn’t seem alarmed as he watched me quietly with a solemn stare.

“Why did you lie to me?”

“Lie? I never lied to you. Not once.”

“You told me I was a vampire!” I snapped, my tears becoming thicker.

“I always said you were special, Alma. A special one of the vampire kind.” He said firmly and in a tone that I knew his fangs were bared in anger. “Do not convince yourself you’re not a vampire, because you are.”

“But you said I was a dhampir.” I said in confusion.

“You are, Alma, and the dhampir are of the clans. They’re a special one.”

I hesitated. “Like the Silvers?”

“In a sense, yes. But you are a vampire. You just have the traits of both the Clans and Families.” He explained soothingly.

I kneeled down on the floor, tears still rolling down my cheeks, but the horrible ache of betrayal had lifted slightly and was replaced with bewilderment. “I don’t understand.”

My father sighed again as the voices spoke in background glumly. I knew they were talking to him, summoning him. He hissed quietly and muttered hot words. The background voices quickly vanished. “This is why I wanted to talk to you about this in person.” He muttered to himself. “Alma, listen, I am being called. Wolfram knows what I do, he can explain in my place, but you have questions only I can answer, I can sense that. Ask me them now.”

“Why did you not tell me what I was?” I asked quietly, upset that father couldn’t stay and talk with me.

“To protect you, Alma. The dhampir were killed and hunted by the Clans many years ago until they became extinct. Not until a few years back anyway. The Elders and old ones all remember the hunts and still hunt the dhampir, even now.”

“But why?”

“I am not sure. Accounts from the Ancients are strange and none are the same. No one seems to tell the truth but no one seems to lie either. The dhampir’s history is scattered and torn among the memories of the Ancients and all is filled with hate and betrayal.” He explained hurriedly. “If you, a child, knew what you were, you may have told someone you shouldn’t have about what you were, unintentionally putting yourself in danger.”

“You could’ve told me recently.” I mumbled.

“I know but we didn’t. Suspicions were already hovering around you. We felt it best for you to not know anything, not until you woke.”

I bit my lip and wiped my eyes as they stung quietly from the blood. “And mother?”

“What about your mother?”

My voice died a little. I didn’t want him to make these fears true. I desperately didn’t. “She is my mother, isn’t she? My true mother?” I forced out.

“She is.” My father replied firmly.

“But isn’t a dhampir born from a witch and a vampire?” I asked in confusion, trying my hardest not to let the hope and joy from overwhelming me.

“That’s correct.”

“So my mother would need to be a witch.” I said in confusion.

“She is.”

My eyes widened and my words became stuck in my throat. My mother was a witch? But I was certain she was a vampire. She often bared her fangs when she was angry and showed her strength in mock fights.

“How can she be? She’s a vampire. I am certain.”

“She was a witch first, Alma.” He said with laughter in his voice, knowing the shocked expression my face now had. “Now, before I am dragged away, I need to talk to Wolfram.” He said. “And be kind to him. He was only doing as he was told to keep you safe.”

“I will.” I promised quietly.

“And be very careful with yourself now. You’re in even more danger than you were before. You must keep your head low. People who didn’t know of you before will know soon enough if you’re not careful.”

“I will.” I promised again.

“And Alma, don’t forget that your mother and I adore you. When you get back, we’ll talk about this properly.”

I nodded, said goodbye then handed the phone back to Wolfram. I took a few steps back, hugging myself tightly. My parents had been guarding me since I was small from those who meant the dhampir harm. And my mother, my dear angry mother, was a Black Blood. A witch who had been turned into a vampire. Something that would cost her her life if anyone were to find out.

I watched Wolfram’s face as his expression grew darker with every word my father spoke. I knew what father was telling him. I knew what father was warning me against. It was Gabor. I had a horrible feeling that Gabor had suspicions on what I was. And he was hunting me. If he found out that I was truly a dhampir and an awakened one, I didn’t doubt he would rip my throat out if an opening was given to him. I just had to make sure that opening never occurs.