Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 2

I stirred when I sensed someone in the room. I opened my eyes and noticed the sun was now setting, silently telling me how late it had become. I pushed myself back into the chair and glanced about. No one was there but I noticed White wasn’t where I had left him.

“Evening, Alma.” Came a small squeaky voice from below.

I looked down and saw the round white face of the tattered rabbit staring up at me. “Evening, White.”

I watched as he latched onto the hem of my dress and slowly hauled himself onto my lap. With strange awkward movements, White waddled over my legs, dragging his long ears as he did, and clambered onto the window ledge. There he stood before me, staring at me with his non-existent eyes.

“This is Wolfram’s home I take it?” He said.

“It is. This is the room I am to use.” I looked over my shoulder at the simple bedroom.

White titled his head. “It’s very much to your liking.” I felt his gaze land on my face. “I hope no one followed you here.”

“I felt no danger as I travelled and I have felt nothing strange outside.”

White shifted his weight but wobbled his head in acceptance. “I just hope this mess is dealt with before they find you.”

I grunted lightly then scooped him into my pale hands. “Would you like to meet Wolfram?”

Once again his head wobbled. I placed him onto my shoulder and pushed my thick black hair out of the way, preventing it from creating a curtain around White. Ensuring he had a grip in my collar, I strode out of the room and rapidly sought out the study, assuming Wolfram was still there. He was although this time he was sitting in his moth eaten chair, reading the same book with his long legs stretched out before him. Once again he didn’t respond to my voice and I had to resort to tapping his shoulder. He flinched visibly and stared up at me through his glasses.

“I would like you to me someone.” I explained and picked White from my shoulder so I could hold him in my hands. “This is White. He watches over me.”

Wolfram observed the tattered old rabbit and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and interest as White moved. In forced movements, White stood up and bowed.

“Pleased to meet you.” Came the squeaky voice.

Wolfram for a moment didn’t say anything, only watched with amazement. “Pleased to meet you too White.” He hesitated then he raised his large and gave me an inquiring look. “May I?”

I inclined my head and watched as Wolfram took White into his own hands. With gentle actions, Wolfram poked White’s belly and felt his limbs and head. He did this for a while and White remained silent through Wolfram’s poking.

“I have not seen anything like this. Just what is it?” Wolfram asked in awe and intrigue.

“I am Alma’s old friend, that’s all.” White replied calmly and pushed Wolfram’s probing fingers away.

He smiled in reply and handed White back into my waiting hands. White shifted his weight and curled his toy arms around my fingers.

“How have you settled?” Wolfram asked as he leaned back in the chair, still observing the toy in my hands.

“Okay. I just need to familiarise my senses with this place.” I explained then froze when a strange gurgle echoed from my stomach.

Wolfram’s eyes latched onto my corset-bound stomach and a smile tugged at his mouth. My face remained completely blank even as embarrassment filled me.

“You need food still too?”

I nodded sharply once while White sniggered to himself, making me crush him into a ball with my other hand in annoyance. Wolfram laughed quietly and unfolded his legs so he could stand.

“Come with me. I will sort something out for you.”

I followed silently, ignoring the squirming toy in my clamped hands. The sound of my thick heels clicking sharply against the stone was the only thing that filled my ears in the journey to the dining room. Wolfram threw open a pair of large heavy set doors and strode into a very large room where a very large table stood. He pulled a chair back and indicated for me to sit down. I did as I was told and quietly thanked him as he smiled and disappeared into the kitchen, leaving a trail of smoke behind. I put White on the table and watched him twirl about in a crude circle observing the red curtain draped and oak carved room.

“A large house for a single man living on his own.” White commented and picked up one of the spoons sat before me.

I remained quiet and White continued to potter around on the table, poking at the cutlery and potted flowers aimlessly, while I waited for Wolfram to return. He appeared before long and placed a simple bowl filled with warm soup. Picking up the soup spoon, I rapidly set to work of getting rid of the horrible ache of hunger in my stomach.

Wolfram sat in the chair beside me and once again leaned languidly back with his legs stretched out before him and his hands clasped together on his lap. I ignored his stare. White came to my side and sat next to my bowl.

“Are you the only one guarding Alma?” White asked.

Wolfram smiled. “Yes, technically. The Branch that lives not far from here will be acting as an extra pair of eyes and ears. I will be doing the guarding though.”

White titled his head and folded his arms. “You’re human.” He stated.

Wolfram’s eyebrows raised and a laugh rumbled from his chest. “You can tell that?”

White just stared. My eyes flashed up briefly to observe Wolfram’s face, thin bearded and youthful, before they focused back onto the soup.

“I am human.” Wolfram admitted.

“So how can you defend Alma from the ones hunting her?” White demanded.

Wolfram’s face sobered. That was obviously something he didn’t want to speak about.

“White.” I whispered and placed a hand lightly on his head. He turned to face me. “My father chose him to guard me. How he does it doesn’t matter and neither do I want or need to know.”

White’s head shifted in thought before it wobbled in a nod. “If your father has chosen him as your guard then that will be enough for me.”

I let my fingers stroke his head lovingly and just managed to stop the smile from breaking free when he leaned his head into my hand.

“You said there is a Branch nearby. When can I go meet them?” I asked as I returned to finishing the soup.

“Tonight if you want.” Wolfram replied with his eyes closed in rest. “I can take you once you have eaten.”

“Can I not travel on my own?”

His eyes snapped open and my own flicked up to meet his unwavering gaze.

“No, Alma. You need him with you.” White said firmly.

I ignored him and focused on Wolfram. My eyes were firm, daring him even, to say I couldn’t. After a pause he shrugged, making White cry out in frustration.

“I guess you can venture out on your own. Just don’t be too...conspicuous. You are here under my watch to give your parents time to sort out this problem and that won’t be handed to them if you run around with a sign saying ‘I’m here’ practically stuck on your head.”

My eyes darkened and narrowed a little. I knew he meant my clothing. Not many people wore what I wore on a daily basis and in public.

“Fine.” I said sharply and stood up abruptly. “Thank you for the food.” I mumbled and grabbed White then strode out of the room, ignoring the quiet laughter that followed after me.

I tore through the house and threw my door open. I let White cling to my collar while I fished out a dress that was probably the least flamboyant of the lot. It still had frills but it was simple and didn’t poof out so much in the skirt area. As soon as White was on the floor I began to strip rapidly. I ignored the strange cry that burst out from White as my current dress dropped to the floor, leaving me standing in my corset and knickers. Mother never understood why I wore underwear like this. To her it was unnecessary and complicated. I just felt comfortable in this the most. I pulled on the thinner dress and threw the older garment on the bed.

“White, it’s time to go.” I said as I picked him up and grabbed my folded parasol.

“I wish you would warn me before you strip, Alma.” He said wearily, not bothering to get angry at me again over this common argument, and sat on my shoulder. “I can see you know.”

“I know, I just don’t mind if it’s you.” I said softly as I took us out of the room.

“Well you should.” White grumbled then fell silent as embarrassment filled him.

Wolfram was waiting in the hall patiently and chewing on the end of a cigarette. He titled his head in observation and sighed lightly in disappointment.

“It’s the best I could do.” I replied sharply.

He gave me a look that said he didn’t quite believe but he unlocked the front door and pushed me out into the sunset. “Go south. Your instincts should be able to find the Branch seeing as they are your kin. Be back in a couple of hours though. If you’re not back before then, I will go out to find you.” He instructed firmly as he leaned against the doorframe, continuing to chew on the cigarette butt.

I glared at him over my shoulder as I let my parasol bloom over my head then twirled around and strode out beyond the gate with my thick black hair streaming after me like a shadow.

“You should’ve taken him with you.” White grumbled.

“I don’t want to have a babysitter, White. I am capable of taking care of myself.” I replied firmly as I waltzed through the undergrowth, happily kicking out at the shrubs as I went.

“Nothing better happen that makes me say I told you so.” White said moodily.

“Nothing will.”

He fell silent but I could sense his unease and disagreement to my decision. I didn’t argue though. Ever since the threat began, White had been moodier than usual so I had adjusted to his random bursts of bad temper. He often worried about my safety even before this threat appeared. Now he was just more paranoid of me being on my own without someone stronger beside me. I knew he would protect me himself if he could and I was more than aware that he couldn’t. It frustrated him and often he shouted at me for leaving the house on my own with just him and no one else.

On a whim,I pulled him from my shoulder and pressed my full mouth softly against his head. He shivered in response and fell into a stony dark silence. I knew it was out of pleasure and embarrassment. I let a smile of warmth break through my mask as I gazed at the back of White’s stubborn head, which swiftly returned as I broke free of the trees and continued onwards into town in silence.