Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 41

It took several hours to get to the house of Gabor. I had been driven and flown and then driven again from the far south of England to the mountains of Transylvania. I was silent most of the time and my face remained blank but my nerves we beginning to fray by the time we reached the tall dark castle. I knew then that this Clan was old. The core of a Clan would rarely move and remain in their home for hundreds of years. A Clan to still have a hold of a castle was uncommon and often showed they had managed to stand their ground against man. Even my own Clan had been forced to move from their original home in Wales a few hundred years ago.

I held Leroy’s hand tightly to comfort us both. I was suddenly feeling very stupid with this idea and scared I was about to kill both of us. Leroy was weak and feeble. Just one punch to the face and it would probably tear his jaw off. But he had the Matter marbles. As long as he had those close to him and ate one, he would be safe.

I glanced at White and a swell of pain rose in my chest. It still hurt to look at him and a part of me was pleased he had decided to stay away. I doubted I could stop myself from crying if I were to hear him. But having White around would soothe my fears. He was sensitive to danger and could help a little if Leroy and I needed to run. So, torn between wanting White with me and wanting him to keep away continued to battle within me, I followed Elena up the thin crooked steps.

The door at the top didn’t exactly look welcoming. It was made from old dark wood and two ugly looking statues stood by either side of it. The castle reached high into the sky with spires and turrets littered everywhere. It was massive. And within I felt the essences of numerous lives. Many vampires dwelled within.

As Elena opened the door, my hand tightened around Leroy’s. I would look after him and make sure he lived. I would never forgive myself if I let anything happen to him. I glanced at him and found him looking at me. By the look in his eyes I knew he had the same thought for me. He would look after me as best as he could. It comforted me a little.

I entered Gabor’s domain with my senses straining and my Matter filling my ears. The inside was dark with only the crackling flames on the walls as the only source of light but it was enough for an immortal to see.

Elena took us across the wide hall and into a large room. Red was the most prominent colour in the room and the walls were stone or oak. With a roaring fire flickering in the centre of the room and tall windows showing a small garden and the rest of the castle, I stood scared with Leroy close to me. For a room looking so warm and comfortable, it was cold. Cold and horrible. I felt something in this room that I recognised it and feared it. I had felt it from the man who had approached me in the Domain and had snuck passed my parents defences.

It was the essence of Gabor.

Walking with light steps, I instantly recognised the woman Gabriella as she came from a corner room. She smiled in joy at Elena and clasped her hands together.

“I sensed you come with her.” Her eyes turned to me. “Welcome, Alma.”

I was put on edge by Gabriella. She was genuinely happy that I was here, I could feel it, but there was something ominous behind the joy. A threat was there. She intended to hurt me.

I nodded lightly but my features still remained stiff. My old defensive habit was keeping me from showing emotion.

Her eyes rose to Leroy and become questionable. “Why is the human with her?”

“She asked to bring him. I couldn’t refuse.” Elena said as she collapsed on one of the armchairs.

Gabriella looked thoughtful but then waved her hand. “Marius will decide what to do.”

As if on cue, I felt the cold presence rapidly grow thicker and a tall dark man came striding in from the small courtyard. Without only a faint unkind smile, Marius came slowly into the room.

“Well done, Elena. You did what Valeria failed to do.” He praised lightly. Elena’s face glowed with pride.

My fear was thickening as Marius came to stand in front of myself and Leroy. I stared up at the sharp faced man and held his cool gaze. His smile widened but it held no more warmth than it did before.

“So you have come to me.” He said.

I nodded. “Elena said you could help me.”

His smile remained but humour was creeping into his eyes. “It is good of you to bring yourself to me and saving me from this hassle of having to hunt you.” My heart sunk slowly as he turned to Elena. “Who is the human?”

“Her friend. She asked to bring him.” Elena asked.

“A little risky of you, isn’t it?” Gabor said to me, turning his attention to me for a brief moment.

“What do you want done with him, Gabor?”

“Keep him alive. He’ll be a good way to ensure Alma behaves. Put him somewhere secure though.” He instructed and my heart sunk even more. He wasn’t even trying to give the impression he wanted me for what he claimed. He was making it painfully obvious I was his prisoner now. I was trapped here and he had me for whatever reason he wanted.

I hissed as Elena came to Leroy and pulled him back sharply. Baring my human teeth out of habit, I took a swipe at her with my claws in warning. Panic was filling me. This wasn’t going at all like I had imagined. I thought he would put on a show, to try and lull me into a false sense of

“Alma, I think we should run.” Leroy said in a low tone.

“You’ve come to me and it will take more than running to get away. The hunt is over” Gabor said darkly, all humour gone. “Elena, take the boy. Alma, Gabriella will take you to your room.” He ordered then hesitated when his eyes caught hold of White. His scowl deepened into something like hatred and very slowly he held out his hand. “Hand me the toy.”

While I may have been rejected by White and currently upset with him, I wasn’t going to hand him over to Gabor. Not without a fight. I clutched White to my chest and squeezed Leroy’s hand, glaring at Gabor in defiance.

Gabor growled and his hand shot out to snatch him from me. I moved quickly though. Letting go of Leroy, I let my clawed hand take a swipe at his chest. I felt my nails catch his skin and cloths and rip across. I only saw his rage increase for a moment before he moved blindingly fast. Without knowing how, his hand was suddenly gripping my throat and holding me off the ground. Choking hard, I tried to keep hold of White, but his free hand grabbed my wrist and twisted it to almost breaking point, forcing me to let go of my beloved White.

Gabriella snatched him up while Elena was wrestling easily with Leroy, who was shouting obscenities at Gabor and demanding he let me go as she dragged him away. A strange roar began to fill my ears and my head began to throb horribly. I thought I was going to fall unconscious but I was suddenly released. I coughed and tried my best to breathe as I lay on the floor, filling my lungs with air.

“You do as you’re told, Alma.” Gabor snarled and turned to observe White. “He will be put somewhere safe, somewhere he won’t be any trouble. However if you do anything that steps out of line, I’ll burn this connection to your guard and hack off one of your friend’s fingers.” He knelt before me, letting White dangle in front of my face. I could barely see him as water filled my red eyes. My throat hurt horribly. “Do you want your friend hurt and this dear creature of yours destroyed?”

I slowly shook my head as I thought about lying and only realising he would just kill them both. Gabor smiled and pulled me onto my feet and wiped dust from my shoulder. I scowled at his feet, my hears picking up the shouts of Leroy as he was taken further from me. I couldn’t let anything happen to him. I had to get him out of here.

“Then do as you’re told.” He said and grabbed my mouth. I tried to bite him when he probed my teeth but he was too quick. He sighed irritably and let go. “She’s not close yet. We have to wait a while before she’s ready to blossom.” He said to Gabriella, glaring me before he pushed me over to her. “Now go to your room.”

I was silent but followed the chubby faced vampire as she lead me out of the red lounge and into the hall. Up numerous stairs and through endless corridors I went, constantly feeling as if I was being watched and picking up the shadows of people ducking out of sight. She took me to one of the towers, taking me up a spiral staircase and indicated for me enter one of the four rooms. I did and the door slammed shut with the lock clicked loudly.

“You can’t break this door. You’re too young and weak so don’t even try. You’ll only hurt yourself.” Gabriella said softly though the little latch. “I’ll bring some food to you soon.” And then the clicking of her heels going further away was all I could hear.

I stood in the middle of the room that held only a bland bed, a chair and a fireplace and quietly burned with rage. My plan had failed. It had completely failed. And now Leroy and White were at risk.

I sat heavily on the bed and quietly began to ponder. I wondered what my mother or father would do in this situation. Wondered how they would get out. I know my mother would just go on a murderous rampage but my father would be a little more calculating a patient. He would find out where Leroy and White were before he did anything dangerous.

I glanced up at the window. I would do that then. Figure out where Leroy and White were held before plotting an escape plan. And the only way I could venture about this castle undetected was by shifting.

One other thing I was interested in knowing was why Gabor wanted me. It obviously wasn’t for me to be his Bride. He didn’t treat me as he treated Gabriella and Elena. The Bride reason was just a ruse, which meant he was hiding his true motives. I wondered how I was going to find out. Maybe I would stumble across something in my search for Leroy and White. I hoped I did.

I bit my lip hard and closed my eyes and began to breathe slowly. I was going to need to learn how to shift quickly. I had to if I was going to get Leroy out and protect White.