Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 44

It was time. The next night, Gabor came to me. Elena forced me to stand as Gabor ritually shoved his fingers in my mouth and felt my fangs. I winced as he tugged at them. They were sensitive now and painful. But the smile of joy that spread over his face made my legs treble in fear and my heart to sink.

“She’s ready.” He said simply and then turned away to stride rapidly out of the room.

I stared after him in horror. I was completely numb to Elena’s grip on my arms and deaf to her sharp orders for me to move. This was it. Cian and White weren’t going to get to me in time. I was going to be harvested. I was going to die.

Panic flourished madly, sparking tears in my eyes. Baring my painful fangs, I wriggled hard, trying my best to wrench myself out of Elena’s powerful grasp while I screamed. She dug in her claws to keep her grasp but I ignored the sharp pains and the wet warmth of my blood trailing down my arms and continued to squirm. With rage, she hissed at me.

“Behave or your friend dies!” She roared.

I flinched at her voice and her words. For a moment, I panted, thinking hard. Leroy was still here. He was still a hostage. He was lost if I died. They would just kill him. But a small hope came to me. I could feel Cian. He was still here. Even if he couldn’t save me in time, there was still a chance he could get Leroy out. That was if I didn’t get him killed.

I hung my head and stopped my frantic struggling. As long as one of us got out, it was fine.

Elena’s claws remained in my skin for a moment longer as she waited for me to launch back into my wriggling. When I didn’t, she slowly let go of me.

“You follow me. Try anything and Leroy will die.”

“He will die anyway.” I grumbled in response.

She didn’t say anything, only stood by the door, waiting for me to follow. With a strange numb admittance filling me, I followed Elena out of my cell. Dragging my feet and trying to ignore the sharp pains in my arms, I was guided deep under the castle. I lost count on the amount of staircases I was taken down. All I knew was that it grew increasingly cold and stank of must.

Elena glanced at me when we reached a pain of massive deep oak doors.

“You’re saving our people.” She stated.

I held from saying that I didn’t need to die to help them, and watched with growing unease and fear when the doors were pushed open.

A soft light filled the room as hundreds of candles burned in chandeliers in the high ceiling above. The room was long and wide, extraordinarily big for a room hidden far beneath the main castle. But it was the many eyes that watched me the instant the doors opened that made me feel uneasy. The whole Gabor Clan was here, all Branches as well its core. They stood either side of the red carpet that led to a strange alter at the far end. And there was a strange sense of relief, of eagerness, filling the room. They were looking forward to my death. They were excited about getting hold of my venom, to purify the Branches that had been horribly weakened by human blood over the long years. While I didn’t blame them, I still hated them. They were impatient. If they just let my venom appear naturally, I could help so many. Instead they choose to just take it to cure maybe ten of them and kill me.

I was scowling at the soft red carpet as Elena lead me up to the strange table. Set on a bare stone platform, this table terrified me. Shackles were attached to both ends and, beside it, was a small tablet covered in weird utensils. I instantly recognised some of them as the ones I had found in the office I found in the dungeons. They were going to cut my throat open, let my blood flow out and take my precious Core.

I didn’t even flinch when Gabor grasped my shoulder. I just felt numb. As if I was in nightmare. I had never imagined this was what Gabor and wanted of me all those months ago. I had never thought he had wanted to kill me.

“It is not long now, my Clan.” Gabor said to the awaiting vampires that watched with interest. “Soon you shall be as pure as myself and my Brides. We shall be strong again.”

I glanced over at the crowd and picked out a few children that were hidden among the adults. They appeared both disgusted and happy. It made it even worse to see that the children were even looking forward to my death.

I didn’t resist as Gabor lifted me up and placed me on the table. I shivered a little as the cold iron chains were clamped around my wrists and ankles. I watched as Elena yanked hard, tightening the shackles so I couldn’t move my arms or legs. It hurt a little.

With a quick bow, Elena stood aside, letting an older vampire step forward. He smiled at me, letting his eyes hover over my blank stare, then looked over at Gabor.

“You can start, Bogdan.”

“I can’t promise I’ll get an awful lot.” He wheezed. “I was only taught as a child about the ways of harvesting by our last generation. I’ve never actually practiced.” He coughed hard and rubbed his throat.

“Just get as much as you can. We have an older one downstairs.” Gabor said.

Bogdan raised his eyebrows in surprise then shrugged lightly. “Very well. I’ll begin to mark up.”

I tried my best not to let myself scream as Bogdan took a white pen and pushed my head up so he could see my throat properly. He pulled my collar away and I felt the cold firm pen press against my skin and draw. In the corner of my eyes, I could see Gabor getting a needle filled with drugs ready. My throat thickened and fear creped over my face. I could feel hysterics setting in. My chest was heaving as I breathed hard. My mind was frantic and my body was numb.

I didn’t want to die. I wanted to live. I wanted to know more about my mother, I wanted to try and win White over. I wanted to see my dear Clan again.

Just then, a cold touch filled my mind. Winter filled my nose and skin as the voice of White echoed clearly in my mind.

“They’re here, Alma.” He managed to say before he lost the connection.

I didn’t know who he meant but I looked sharply to the door when someone came barging in.

A vampire unknown to me came belting up the aisle, waving his hands and calling to his Head. Gabor placed the needle aside and took a few steps down the stairs.

“What is it?” He asked curiously.

“An Unclaimed Family is here.”

Elena stiffened and Bogdan stopped in his task while whispering exploded in the hall.

“What do they want?”

“They want to speak to you.” He said. “They said that, as Alma is no longer willing to be here, they intend to take her back.”

Gabor’s face darkened. “Alma accepted me. She is here under her own free will. No letter or call was sent to her Clan that incriminated us.”

“They know her life is to end.” The vampire stammered. “The witch is adamant you speak to her.”

Gabor growled deeply. “Turn the Family away. They have no right to be here and no reason to think Alma’s life is in danger.”

“But I tried.”

“Then try again and this time succeed!” Gabor roared savagely. “Too long have a strived for this, to give strength back to my Clan! We were once one of the strongest and feared! Now most of my Branches are weak or gone and, within my grasp, is a way to cure them! I will not have it ruined now!” He glared at him, breathing heavily, then continued darkly. “This Family is no threat. Alma’s Clan is no threat. When Alma accepted to come here by herself, she tied all her allies’ hands.They can’t help her or attack us when they have no proof that she’s going to die. Do you understand?” The vampire cringed but nodded. “Then get rid of the Family and deny them any kind of access to my home. An Unclaimed Family has no right to step in a Clan’s house.”

The vampire turned and ran back up the aisle and out of sight, leaving me feeling horribly cold inside. Gabor was right and Wolfram had warned me. Without any kind of solid proof, my Clan or anyone wanting to help me couldn’t come anywhere near here with the intent of taking me away or harming the Gabor Clan. I was a fool for thinking I could stop Gabor hunting me by letting him have me.

I closed my eyes tightly, letting my tears of regret and frustration trickle down my face. I felt Bogdan continue drawing on my neck, hearing him mumble to himself about how the operation was meant to happen. Where he was meant to cut and slice.

My whimpering was the only thing that could be heard in the hall until a loud crash echoed from above. My eyes snapped open as another thundering crash came to life, followed by another and another. The vampires began to hiss and cower. Someone was coming down to the hall.

Gabor, scowling at the ceiling, called to his Clan. “There is a door. Get the children and young ones out.” He demanded. “The rest of you stay. We’ll deal with this Family.”

Only a small handful of adults separated themselves from the crowd, dragging behind them a small group of children. Some were too young to understand what was going on, others were scared or eager to stay and see the fight. But they left quickly, vanishing deeper into the castle.

Bodgan had stopped again and simple stood quite still. More explosions shattered the silent air, this time louder and closer. Then they stopped. There was a moment of dreaded silence. The Clan shifted and murmured, wondering who had stormed their home, and Elena hurried to Gabor’s side. And then the door exploded.

In a shower of wood and iron that washed over the hall, four figures came. Holding a blue long barrelled pistol was the witch who had come for me. I faintly recognised the red haired woman and the werewolf who stood beside her, snarling and snapping his teeth in warning, but I instantly knew the faces of Wolfram and Kenny. Relief and joy soared in my chest as the hope that I wasn’t doing to die took over my mind. My eyes stared at Wolfram, noting his twitching fingers, and at Kenny. I frowned when I looked at him. He seemed different. He held himself with strength and pride and looked a little older.

The witch smiled stiffly at Gabor, still pointing the gun at his direction. “I told you I wanted to talk to you.”

“Who are you?”

“Augusta Wolfram, Head of the Wolfram Family.” She replied.

“You were denied access and you storm my home, no doubt killing members of my Clan, Head Augusta. Your Crone will be informed of this.” He said thickly, his voice filled with rage.

“And I shall inform your Lady that you’re intending to kill a dhampir child.” She said calmly back.

Gabor snapped his fangs. “I am saving my Clan, witch.”

“No, you’re wiping them out.” Wolfram stated, letting Matter hum about his witch-blade. “Dhampir harvesting was banned by the last Lord of the Clans. To kill one meant the death of any who are involved.”

“And what good is that? We’ve weakened and our people are fading and dying. We need that venom now!” Gabor snapped. “Our Lady knows there are dhampirs being born again yet does nothing!”

“She does something, you fool!” Augusta snarled. “She has had me giving her venom for the last twenty four years.”

Gabor scowled, his rage still growing. “You’re a dhampir?”

“I am. How else do you think I knew Alma and Cian were in trouble? I may not hear Alma yet as her voice is too quiet, but keeping Cian was a stupid idea. He was been talking to me since he knocked on your door. He is the reason we’re here and the proof we needed to come to their aid.”

Gabor became silent as he realised it was he who tripped and let his intentions become known to my allies. Thick malice filled the air and the vampires stirred, getting ready for a fight. “Harvesting is far more productive. We can cure fifty vampires at once with one Core. Simply passing the venom through biting takes years to work. It takes too long and the dhampir can only bite one vampire per month.” He explained, his voice thick with conviction as he tried to win them over. “If we harvest the dhampir, we could save so many Clans from the brink of fading into humanity quickly.”

“And destroy the source in the process. Do you honestly think Witches will be open to the idea of losing their dhampir daughters just to hurry the recovery process?” Wolfram asked, laughing hollowly.

“If the Families truly care to keep our kind from dying out, then yes.” Gabor said bluntly.

“You’re a fool then. I for one will not stand by and watch you tear out my mother’s and my cousin’s Cores.” Wolfram said, raising his sword and letting Matter crackling loudly over the blade.

“I realised this.” Gabor said and readjusted his position. “This is why I’ll kill you three. With you three gone, I can continue and have one more dhampir to harvest.”

The werewolf snarled, snapping his teeth threateningly as he stepped closer to Augusta protectively. “Please try.” He said, his deep voice rumbling out from his chest.

“I see that there is no point in asking for you to just hand over Alma, Cian and Leroy to avoid a fight.” Augusta said, smiling coldly.

“No, there isn’t.” Gabor replied then shot forward.

The vampires acted as one and surged forward towards the small group who had come for me, fangs and teeth bared, ready to rip them to shreds.

All I could do was watch and pray that they lived.