Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 45

I watched with my heart in my throat as the flood of hundred vampires surged for the Wolfram Family. I thought they didn’t stand much of a chance but Wolfram flung himself into the fray happily. His sword swiped at the arms and necks of any vampire nearby, letting spurts of blood and howls of pain erupt from his enemies. He didn’t seem fazed by the amount of vampires there were. In fact he seemed to welcome them. I watched as now and then one got close enough to tear at his skin only to real back in pain. I knew his Matter was thick in his skin now. His own body was armour to him. No immortal could touch him without being in pain.

But it wasn’t just Wolfram who was showing his strength clearly. The werewolf was overpowering the weaker vampires as Wolfram took on the stronger. His claws shredded and ripped as his teeth tore out throats. He, unlike Wolfram, was wounded. I could see scores littering his back and arms and blood was mattered in his fur. He was hurt and no doubt in pain but he continued to fight and kept the worst of the wave away from Augusta.

I had to admit, I was a little in awe with her. She was younger than Cian, I could feel it, but she was managed to take on both Gabor and Elena at once. Most of the time she was on the defence or swerving away from their bared claws, but now and then she would get herself into a position to lashed out with her blade. Now and then I saw her shift. In a burst of red moths, she would get herself out of a killing blow and put herself in a safer position and attack. It was strange to see. She was fast, maybe as fast as Gabor, but the teleporting just made her hard to watch. I kept losing her.

Kenny though was gone. As soon as the battle started, he had turned and fled. Some vampires tried to stop him but they were either slain by him or shot down by Wolfram. He had gone into the depths of the castle, alone. Where to, I didn’t know, but I still felt he had changed. He smelt entirely immortal now.

Bogdan shifted his weight beside me. I knew he wanted to get involved but he didn’t know how. While the vampires were weak, they should be a powerful foe in such a large number. But Wolfram didn’t seem fazed by them, the werewolf refused to be taken down, no matter how many wounds he received, and Augusta wasn’t paying any sort of attention to them as her sights were solely set on Gabor and his Bride.

“Bogdan! Start the harvesting!” Gabor shouted savagely. Bogdan began to refuse but stopped when Gabor’s demanding voice echoed again. “Do it!”

I only saw Augusta move her hand to grab her pistol for a moment before I squeaked and winced when an explosion shattered in the wall above, letting a shower of dirt and brick come down over me. It took me a moment to realise Augusta had tried to shoot Bogdan as he checked my markings but her aim was disturbed.

I looked pleadingly up at Bogdan as he reached for a scalpel but he ignored me entirely. I could see Augusta struggling to get to me. She could only teleport once every minute and Elena and Gabor kept herding her away and knocking her hand whenever she aimed her pistol. Matters bullets kept littering the wall but all missed their target.

Eventually she turned to Wolfram. “Get Alma out!” She shouted.

Wolfram nodded and, after hacking off the arms of two vampires and sinking his blade in another, he surged forward. Avoiding all claws that tried to grab him and running his blade through those who stood in his way, Wolfram bounded to my side. Bogdan looked slowly up then jumped back just as Wolfram’s blade swept over me.

Bogdan smiled. “I have been given my orders.”

“I’m getting Alma out of here.”

Bogdan nodded. “I am sure you will. But it may cost your friend his life.” He said, indicating to the werewolf that fought alone. I realised with dread that he was beginning to lag. His wounds were now numerous and deep and the vampires were even beginning to slack off. They were toying with him now.

Wolfram’s eyes darkened and his grip tightened on his sword. “My father will be fine.”

Bogdan shrugged then swiftly darted forward and took a swipe at Wolfram’s throat but only had it blocked. “You’re still young, Warlock. Your Matter will weaken eventually.”

Wolfram only scowled and pushed him back hard so he could turn and deal with the oncoming attacks from behind.

I kept my eyes firmly shut as the gore happening before me made my stomach churn violently. But I could still hear the sounds of steel tearing at flesh and the cries of the wounded or dying. I could smell the blood and feel it spray on my bare arms. It made me feel sick.

My eyes snapped open though when I heard a panicked shout. I quickly sought out Augusta, who was sending out a flurry of bullets towards the ring of vampires surrounding the werewolf then savagely attacked Elena who had slipped away from the witch and had been fighting him herself. With blood covering her hands, Elena stepped back hurriedly, barely missing the sword’s attacks. Augusta fended her off then backed up against the werewolf. She was shaking a little, whether it was from rage or panic, I wasn’t sure, but I knew he was wounded badly now. He was on his knees with blood pooling about him. He was in no condition to fight anymore and it would take only a few more blows to kill him. I knew Augusta wouldn’t leave his side easily now.

And now that both Augusta and the werewolf were cornered, Gabor took his chance.

As Wolfram fought against the elder vampire, Bogdan, Gabor and Elena came sweeping in. Wolfram knocked back another two vampires then suddenly found Elena right in front of him, taking quick swipes at his face and body randomly. With both Bogdan and Elena against him, he began to back off, taking steps away from me.

And then I found a five thick claws pressed against my throat. I froze completely as I felt the sharp tips dig into my skin, letting blood trickle down my neck.

“Cease fighting!” Gabor yelled.

In unison, his Clan stopped and backed away from the Family. More than half were still alive, wounded, but alive. I could smell his worry. He didn’t want his Clan to be wiped out. He was fearful for the remainders survival.

“Let my Clan go.” Gabor demanded, looking directly at Augusta, who was crouched beside the werewolf, soothing him and trying to put pressure of the gash in his throat. “Let them flee or I kill the girl.” His claws tightened on my throat.

She looked infuriated. She was shaking still and her hand was on her pistol. It was pointing straight at him.

“The Clan can go but not the elder or your Brides.” She answered. “They have to stay and pay.”

Gabor’s anger grew. “Everyone leaves. I’ll stay.”

“Your Brides are needed to pay as much as you and your elder vampire knows too much about harvesting. The Elders need to decide what is to be done.” Augusta snapped.

“I won’t risk having someone leave here, especially with a reason for revenge and knowledge of harvesting.” Wolfram said darkly, ignoring the claws at his throat.

Gabor hissed, baring his thick fangs in rage. But I couldn’t hear what was being said as they continued to argue. A presence was thickening in the room. It was strong and old but calm.

“Cian.” I murmured.

At that moment, a great cloud of bats exploded in the hall. Twittering madly and flying rapidly in a twister, the bats slowly lowered themselves to the ground and formed the shape of a man.

With matted hair and a torn suit, Cian stood calmly in the centre of the mess.

“How did you get out? I chained you in Silver Chains.” Gabor demanded.

“Your Bride, Gabriella, was kind enough to give my friend a key.” Cian said, smiling warmly. “She was also kind enough to let Leroy out as well.” His eyes sought my face. “He is safe and currently being taken by Kenny far from here.”

I felt Gabor shake. He had lost the second dhampir, is leverage over me and his second Bride was now either dead or caught. His rage was now so thick, it was clouding his mind. I stiffened and my heart thudded as I felt his claws dig deeper. It hurt so much.

“Now, Gabor, I bring you someone.” Cian said clearly. “He is not happy with what you have tried to do.”

Cian took something out of his pocket then held something small in his large hands. Sitting in his palm was a small white tattered rabbit toy. It had a torn ear, a small top hat on and crosses for eyes. I felt my eyes well up as my joy and relief soared at the sight of the tiny old teddy. It was White. My dear White. He was safe.

The small head began to move and then, very slowly, White stood. He looked about the hall, observing the dead Clan members and those who were alive. He looked at Augusta as she stood beside the wounded werewolf protectively. He looked as Wolfram who had his weapons sheathed and Elena and Bogdan’s claws at his throat. He looked at Gabor who was poised to rip my throat out and then he looked at me, chained to the table, unable to move, with blood and markings over me.

He didn’t say a word but his eyes never left my face. I felt them boring into me, dark and angry. And then the cold came. What warmth was in the air was slowly sucked away. At Cian’s feet, ice began to form. It creaked as it slithered away from him like fire, covering the cracked and bloody stone floor and broken chairs. It enveloped the dead, freezing them to the core and covering them in frost.The walls began to freeze over and turn white and the Clan began to shiver and run from the ice as it drew near. They ran to the door, fleeing as White’s rage thickened.

Only the Family, Gabor, Elena and Bogdan remained. With the hall now entirely covered in ice and the air practically white with cold, Gabor stared down at White.

“Who are you?” Gabor asked quietly.

“I am Pyotr Sinclair.” White replied, his true voice humming about the hall. My eyes widened and my throat closed. He had never given his true name so willingly before. Never. “Why have you done this? Why have you taken Alma with the intent to kill her?”

“She is a dhampir. She holds the key to curing the Clans of mortality, young Lord.” Gabor replied stiffly. I could scent some fear from him and regret.

“And you think killing her will give it to you?” White demanded.

“I know it will.”

White snarled. It made Gabor flinch visibly. “The Lady has told me everything. She’s told me she knew of the dhampir, knew of what they meant to the Clans. She told me she had already gained one who was willing to help her. Since then, two Clans have been purified and began to recover. Why is that not enough for you?”

“The Lady kept this from us!” Gabor retorted.

“Because she feared this!” White shouted. “She knew most vampires would try to take the dhampir for themselves and harvest them. By keeping it to herself, she kept the dhampir safe.” He went quiet for a moment and the ice thickened. “You have tried to kill a young dhampir. What have you to say to this?”

Gabor remained quiet. The ice cracked and the cold came again. “You tried to kill my mate. The mate of a Sinclair. What have you to say to this?”

Silence continued but my heart hammered noisily in my ears. Despite the dire situation, I felt warmth rising to my face, chasing away the horrible cold of rage. His mate? He had rejected me. He had told me I was being stupid when I declared that I loved him. I remember that clearly. What was he trying to do by saying I was his mate?

“You have disobeyed a law given by the last Lord. A law that hasn’t been lifted my either myself or the current Lady, Eva. You have attempted to take the life of my mate and friend.” White said savagely. “You are to face my mother and the Elders. Your whole Clan will. You will no doubt be given the Second Penalty for this.”

Gabor’s rage and determination suddenly flared. “No! I will harvest the dhampir and give life back to the Clans before they fade. I will make my Clan strong as it once was.” He shouted.

He looked wildly down at me and I could see the desperation in his eyes. I knew what he was going to do. He was going to attempt to rip my Core out. I squeezed my eyes shut as his claws left my throat and travelled down to my chest, the place where Bogdan had marked out where my core should be. I felt his nails begin to dig into my skin, begin to push down hard to break through my muscle and bone

Then it suddenly stopped. I opened my eyes, shivering at the extreme frigidness in the air, and watched as Gabor clawed at his own throat. He was chocking and his neck was turning blue and white from frost. Blood trailed down his throat as his claws wracked at his own skin. Elena cried out and rushed to him and tried to keep his hands away. She was crying, begging White to stop. While White didn’t hear him, Cian did. Gently he placed his other hand on White’s head.

“No more, young Lord. You have protected Alma and she is safe. Gabor will face your mother and be judged. Do not kill him. You will only regret it.” Cian said softly.

Very slowly, White’s grip slackened and then Gabor fell to the ground with Elena wrapping him in her arms. He coughed hard and breathed, while Bogdan came to his side to wrap his mangled neck up.

Cian smiled. “I think we’re finished here.” He said as Wolfram came to point his witch-gun at the three vampires.

I closed my eyes in relief. I was alive. Leroy was alive. Gabor had been defeated. I was safe. I could go home.

As Cian came to me, I felt something strange fill me. My teeth began to throb and a horrible need to bite filled me. I felt my mind fade and instinct kick in. As Cian came to me, I saw White, watching me intently.

“You’re safe now, Alma. I won’t let them hurt you anymore.” I heard White say as his mind filled me, soothing me as my mind became blank and filled with the desire to be rid of the venom in my teeth.

With only White’s voice soothing me, I fell into unconsciousness, still bound and prepared to be harvested but filled with a sense of safety and joy.

I was alive. I was safe.