Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 6

I lay on my back on the sofa Wolfram had unveiled to me in the his study with White on my corset bound stomach. He had left me while I bathed I found out when I picked him up. Whether it was because he was needed elsewhere or because he didn't want to be in the same room with me naked, I wasn't sure. Either reason was eligible. After I got dried and dressed I had trundled downstairs and organised the wet washing. Once that was completed, I went to see if Wolfram had finished whatever it was he was intending to do. He had and the door was left open for me to enter if I wanted. I had.

For a while I just wandered around the huge room, trailing my pale fingers along the spine of the books while I held White's unanimated body close to my chest. Majority of the books were old and mostily written in latin or greek. It was strange. But some were in english, even if it was the olde sort. There were books on history, geography, astrology, biology and even numerous legends and myths. All were too complicated just to sit down and sift through. I did wonder what it was Wolfram did exactly and I had asked him. All he said was that he looked into things that were long dead. I didn't pry. If Wolfram wanted to explain he would have given my an answer a little less vague. So instead I had sort hard until I found a section of the shelves that held a variety of old novels. I picked out one and began to read silently after Wolfram has found a place for me to sit.

The rain had shifted into a storm. Thick droplets battered against the large arched windows and the wind howled like an enraged wolf. Now and then lightening flashed which was rapidly followed by a thick rumbling growl. The clouds had obscured the majority of the sun and forced a grey daylight over the world.

My ears picked up the constantly scratching of pen against paper. It was clear Wolfram preferred the old way of writing. I wondered why. For the speed he wrote, he surely would find using a computer much easier, but didn't ask. As I read, I absentmindedly stroked White's tiny body lovingly, part of me wishing he was still with me and sighed lightly. Whenever he wasn't there I always had this ache in my chest for him to come back. I liked his presence even though he seldom spoke. He made me feel safe and keep the sharp sting of loneliness away.

The sound of writing stopped and my eyes flicked up to see Wolfram watching me silently. There was mirth in his eyes and an expression that said he knew something I didn't. My eyes narrowed.

"What is it?" I asked almost irritably.

"You seem to be very fond of White."

My cheeks glowed. He had no idea how right he was. White has always been special to me ever since I first met him and over the years that feeling of attachment had morphed into something warmer, more emotional. White didn't know. I didn't want to tell him. White didn't feel anything like that towards me I knew. If he did he could've easily stopped Gabor's claim of me. But he hasn't though. He remained quiet, confirming my fears. Since I had come here I had felt a horrible pain within me but I ignored it. I always ignored those sorts of pains. Mother had taught me how to. Always keep focused, she tells me. Never let your emotions cloud your judgment or put you in stupid situations. I did as I was told.

"I am." I stated proudly. While I would ignore the pain of White's inattentiveness towards me, I wouldn't ignore the fact he was my dear and oldest friend.

Wolfram leaned back in the chair and swivelled it round so he faced me. "Can you tell me what he is?"

I hesitated. Not many people knew his identity and I wasn't in the habit of informing others. "White is White."

"But what is he? I have never seen an animated toy before." Wolfram pressed.

My eyes darkened and this time I bared my tiny fangs a little in warning. "White is White." I repeated. He took the hint and backed off. He returned to work. "Where did you go today?"

My face returned to its normal blank expression. "To town. I found someone of interest."

Wolfram's pen paused. "Really? Who?"

"Leroy. He is a vampire but very weak. Two generations away from becoming completely human."

"How can you be so sure?"

I paused and shrugged lightly. "I just am. I can sense things far more clearly than others." I said.

Wolfram didn't argue. That confused me. Normally others would question me, force me to prove my ability to sense the Old World so clearly. Not even the strongest vampire could sense as well as I could and I took pride in it.

"You believe me?"

"Are you lying to me?"

"No."

"Then I trust your judgment." Wolfram said honestly. "What do you intend to do with him?"

"Befriend him then introduce him to the Old World. If he believes me and wants to be a part of it, I will tell Lady Eva. She can make him whole again."

Wolfram fiddled with the pen. "Just be careful. Remember you are here to hide. You can't run around trying to help a thin-blooded vampire while keeping your head down."

"I know. I will visit only now and then." I promised.

He grunted in acceptance. "Things appear to have calmed down." Wolfram informed me, not realising I had already been updated by White. "The two Clans are now beginning the political battle now the Elders are involved." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I am just hoping the worst doesn't happen."

I stiffened slightly and the words in the page in front of my became and unfocused blur. "What's the worst?"

"Your parents being unable to stop Gabor's claim." Wolfram stated. "The politics of the Clans is a very strange game. Sometimes the needs of the Clans and Pure Bloods overrule the personal wills of the ones involved."

My heart had stopped. I licked my lips in hoping to make them feel a little less dry. "Do you think it will come to that?"

"The Elders are on your side so for now, no. In the long haul, who can say?"

Well that was comforting. "I don't understand what he wants with me." I murmured.

Wolfram cast me a gentle gaze before returning to work. "I know you don't. Nobody does. We'll sort this out though, Alma, so try not to worry."

I simply nodded and snuggled down further into the dusty sofa and pressed White close to my chest. I stared at the old toy. White could sort this out so easily but I knew he wouldn't. He didn't wish to claim me.